The Great PDF Round Up

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Over September and October, we are going to be cleaning up every (and I mean every) PDF we currently have on DrivethruRPG.com. That means making sure all art is at the right resolution, all bookmarks are in, etc.

So, is there anything on any PDF you know of that we should be looking at? Any and all suggestions welcomed!

I think its been often discussed that the plans in the Traveller Core book and Gunboats are not the best resolution. I think me and you may have talked about this. Easily (?) fixed unless the map is raster not vector based...

A few errors and glitches in the plans in 2300. I can resend the ammended sheets.

middenface said:
I think its been often discussed that the plans in the Traveller Core book and Gunboats are not the best resolution. I think me and you may have talked about this. Easily (?) fixed unless the map is raster not vector based...

Most likely those maps are bitmaps...

Any and all suggestions welcomed - we have dedicated the time of two people to this for around 6 weeks, so we can handle a great deal!

One request I have is that Bookmarks are made to start off collapsed to begin with, and with chapter bookmarks at the top level. This allows easy drill down to the bookmark you want, without having to wade through loads of exposed bookmarks.

Cheers!

Having the covers included is great, but I've seen just about every way possible for numbering the book with the front cover in it to mess up printing double sided.

So I ask either:
A) Make the first two pages the Front and Back covers, so the first real page is #1 and still an odd number in the PDF (I.E. like #3)
B) Put the covers in a separate file and let the first page of the main PDF be page #1 of the actual book. (really my preferred method.

GamerDude said:
Having the covers included is great, but I've seen just about every way possible for numbering the book with the front cover in it to mess up printing double sided.

So I ask either:
A) Make the first two pages the Front and Back covers, so the first real page is #1 and still an odd number in the PDF (I.E. like #3)
B) Put the covers in a separate file and let the first page of the main PDF be page #1 of the actual book. (really my preferred method.
It can also be easily resolved by inserting a blank page between the cover and actual first page. You have to be careful though if you print the cover on a colour printer and the rest on a high speed B/W as I found out the other day when I printed my copy of Cities of The Young Kingdoms at work. I'd inserted a blank page so the PDF displayed properly in two-up layout and when I printed the body of the book, silly me printed from page 2 (the blank page, not page 3 the first page of text) to page 114 or whatever. Oh well, what do you do.

This is great news! I was just about to buy some PDFs and the lack of bookmarks was kind of a turn-off... Are you going to bookmark every PDFs?

Also, Matthew, you mentionned making sure the resolution of images was right. Do you mean right for display or right for printing? I'm asking because I find the resolution lacking on products like Infernum I. Even on screen, it's pixelated. It would be nice to have a full 300 dpi PDF for printing.

Thanks!

skynet said:
This is great news! I was just about to buy some PDFs and the lack of bookmarks was kind of a turn-off... Are you going to bookmark every PDFs?

Also, Matthew, you mentionned making sure the resolution of images was right. Do you mean right for display or right for printing? I'm asking because I find the resolution lacking on products like Infernum I. Even on screen, it's pixelated. It would be nice to have a full 300 dpi PDF for printing.

Thanks!

Yes to both of those - just the things we want to change!

you know i'd like to believe you, but i just sense a spanner being readied to chuck into the works

I'd a minor issue, but the 2300AD books always come up on my Mac with a white cover, rather than the dark/black cover. So if you could sort this out it would be nice.

The major priority is having organised bookmarks though - it means you can access rules easily on an iPhone or iPad. All Traveller books could do with this, including setting books (Judge Dredd, 2300AD, Prime Directive, etc), as could the Paranoia pdfs, and Legend titles (like Elric).

If you can then work through the general editing, uplift the art/layout etc, then this would be nice - along with the inclusion of covers on some supplements that don't have them.

yeah I concur on bookmarks, would make the tab way easier and more functional.

Some bookmarks in my copy of Legend are a little off - Combat, Commom Magic, Sorcery & Heroic Abilities.

The freebie Judge Dredd RPG doesn't have bookmarks.

The latest version ( 16 Oct) of the JD mini game doesn't have bookmarks.

And since I'm checking:

B5 Deconstruction of Falling Stars doesn't have bookmarks.

Back