The Fifth Frontier War begins in two days

In the canon timeline the next major event is the assassination of the Emperor in 1116 and a civil war.

The suggested start date for PCs is 1121

In the canon timeline the next major event is the assassination of the Emperor in 1116 and a civil war.

The suggested start date for PCs is 1121
And even less agency. When I saw that years ago, my first reaction was: The Aslan did what?

And even if they did, there would have been great room for adventure in 1117-20, fighting off the Aslan and Vargr hordes (even though the Zhos had been fought to a standstill just a decade before with a much less united command structure - Yes, I know, don't expect reinforcements from Corridor this time around, but... never made much sense, nor did the civil war accept as a God-like reset button).

The fall of Glisten should have been an epic story, but no, it just happened. The end.

I am struggling to see the need for FFW. I would much rather have books of transportable adventures and source materials with plot hooks, ideas and intrigue etc. I will buy the FFW books for both completeness and as a backdrop but I’m not expecting to deeply involve my players.

Having said all this, I dabble with Traveller and don’t have a deep engagement with the lore and history. I appreciate FFW layers ontop of what has gone before and is more relevant to others.

I am also time-poor so ready made adventures without requiring huge historical canon knowledge are more appealing to me.

What happens after FFW?
as a complete newbie to the Traveller world the book will probably prove quite nice once I get to getting it. Especially if it is, as interesting to read as other source books and the background/historical material have been to read.

that said.. really hope to see to lots of different types of adventures tied into this. Especially if they work in non standard character such as active duty Imperial forces (the Naval Campaign Sourcebook) or Mercenaries.

not sure how much I agree with individuals really influencing events that are vast in scope, galactic in nature but suppose we can run and modify anything we are given and tone down any Hollywoodesque aspects of it. In running such adventures/campaign and putting characters into the war itself the challenge/ the goal could be seen in winning.. is surviving the encounter to live and fight another day another adventure..

big picture winning and losing a vast interstellar war is for the Admirals and high nobles to worry about as well as influencing the eventual outcome.

I am struggling to see the need for FFW. I would much rather have books of transportable adventures and source materials with plot hooks, ideas and intrigue etc. I will buy the FFW books for both completeness and as a backdrop but I’m not expecting to deeply involve my players.

Having said all this, I dabble with Traveller and don’t have a deep engagement with the lore and history. I appreciate FFW layers ontop of what has gone before and is more relevant to others.

I am also time-poor so ready made adventures without requiring huge historical canon knowledge are more appealing to me.

What happens after FFW?
The next published product in the FFW line is supposed to be "Flashpoints", which is an actual adventure. We'll have to see if "Opening Moves" and "Riverfront Campaign" are more player-centric. As well as what else comes with the product line.

as a complete newbie to the Traveller world the book will probably prove quite nice once I get to getting it. Especially if it is, as interesting to read as other source books and the background/historical material have been to read.

that said.. really hope to see to lots of different types of adventures tied into this. Especially if they work in non standard character such as active duty Imperial forces (the Naval Campaign Sourcebook) or Mercenaries.

not sure how much I agree with individuals really influencing events that are vast in scope, galactic in nature but suppose we can run and modify anything we are given and tone down any Hollywoodesque aspects of it. In running such adventures/campaign and putting characters into the war itself the challenge/ the goal could be seen in winning.. is surviving the encounter to live and fight another day another adventure..

big picture winning and losing a vast interstellar war is for the Admirals and high nobles to worry about as well as influencing the eventual outcome.
I don't care if my players can decide the war. But material aimed at making the war interesting to the players and not just a "Hmm, let's go somewhere we won't get targeted with meson bays or PGMPs" situation would be interesting. Convoy raiding, blockade running, evacuations, black marketing, espionage, salvage, and lots of other interesting things going on. Ship designs/deckplans for small raiders, ideas for how customs inspections are different in wartime, what kinds of markets for legal and black market salvage of war material would exist, suggestions on how the war might affect the volume of shipping and/or custom patrols in the surrounding regions, stuff the Ine Givar are getting up to the PCs might mess with.

Mercenary and Naval campaigns need wartime support too. Tickets. Orders. Assignments that might be interesting besides "hang around in a big fleet under direct control of an admiral between big battles". Or a real fleet combat system that helps you make it interesting to be a cruiser or destroyer command staff at the Battle of Too Many Ships.

The Virushi 'priest' and the Vargr mercenary officer are a lot more useful NPCs than Dukes and Admirals for most campaigns, I suspect.

And even less agency. When I saw that years ago, my first reaction was: The Aslan did what?

And even if they did, there would have been great room for adventure in 1117-20, fighting off the Aslan and Vargr hordes (even though the Zhos had been fought to a standstill just a decade before with a much less united command structure - Yes, I know, don't expect reinforcements from Corridor this time around, but... never made much sense, nor did the civil war accept as a God-like reset button).

The fall of Glisten should have been an epic story, but no, it just happened. The end.
I flat out don't believe the Aslan could have managed the massive surge through the Marches. But the massive overhyping of Ihatei is a wider spread problem than just that.

I flat out don't believe the Aslan could have managed the massive surge through the Marches. But the massive overhyping of Ihatei is a wider spread problem than just that.
But Martin is almost setting the stage for it by calling the Glisten Fleet a dumping ground for well-connected but, um, uninspiring, leadership. Still, Super Norris should have been able to overcome that, unless he was too busy working on developing his jowls and forging Archduke documentation.

It is still and ever will be my contention that Norris invited the Aslan. The whole "invasion" is a smokescreen for him gaining an awful lot of loyal troops - Aslan will happily swear allegiance to human rulers, they are not prejudiced they just want land.
And the Domain of Deneb has lots of space where Aslan colonies can be established, and everyone swearing fealty to Norris.

Sure, I could have accepted that story. The rampage all over the Marches and conquer major centers of Imperial regional power not so much.

That's a good way for Norris to get rid of some of his rivals.
He locks up political prisoners and invents convoluted stories to cover his tracks, he has ambitions to become sector duke, he promotes himself to Archduke.
he then has loads of loyal Aslan...

Sure, I could have accepted that story. The rampage all over the Marches and conquer major centers of Imperial regional power not so much.
I don't recall the canon behind that. Trojan Reach yes, but their incursion into the Marches?

I don't recall the canon behind that. Trojan Reach yes, but their incursion into the Marches?
They take most of Glisten and parts of District 268 and Trin's Veil. Glisten itself seems an odd target; not only is it of course a prominent and powerful system (surely it's defended well enough that there are many more appealing targets, particularly in the non-aligned part of the Marches?) but it's a bunch of asteroid settlements; not exactly prime landhold material. I can only assume some of the ihatei whipped themselves up into a competitive bravado spiral and wound up with a catastrophic triumphant victory? Which I guess might explain how Glisten adapts so readily to being an Aslan-Human fusion society in the later eras; the ihatei may have won the system, but they probably needed to defer to the humans and the females to get anything out of it.

They take most of Glisten and parts of District 268 and Trin's Veil. Glisten itself seems an odd target; not only is it of course a prominent and powerful system (surely it's defended well enough that there are many more appealing targets, particularly in the non-aligned part of the Marches?) but it's a bunch of asteroid settlements; not exactly prime landhold material. I can only assume some of the ihatei whipped themselves up into a competitive bravado spiral and wound up with a catastrophic triumphant victory? Which I guess might explain how Glisten adapts so readily to being an Aslan-Human fusion society in the later eras; the ihatei may have won the system, but they probably needed to defer to the humans and the females to get anything out of it.
The Regency Sourcebook

p.50:
'Glisten was a site of extensive Ihatei incursion but unlike many such systems, the Aslan presence was completely rooted out'

p.8
'1117 Civil War. Vargr cut Corridor in two, Domain of Deneb cut off from Imperium.'
'1119 Intrusion of Aslan Ihatei fleets in Domain become stronger and more numerous.'
'1131 Joint Aslan-Domain fleets destroy vampire fleets attempting to cross Great Rift'

p.68
'By 1120 the entire Tobia subsector along with the Sindal subsector to spinward had fallen to Ihatei invasion, although most of these worlds retained human majority (although now subject populations). The arrival of Regency forces in 1131 was greeted with delirious joy by the human inhabitants after a over a decade of Aslan occupation...restoring its antebellum boundaries'.

So the 1119 Aslan advance was due to the diversion of Imperial forces from the Marches and Reaches to fight the Vargr in Corridor.

However the Regency then appear to have reconquered the former Imperial worlds in the Reaches in 1131 - it is the belt of former non-aligned and client states and The Glorious Empire beyond the old border that passes into Hierate control - although even then the populations may well remain predominantly human.

And as the Hierate and Regency are allies from 1131 onwards I presume that the great clans of the Hierate also collaborate with the Regency in suppressing the most ambitious of the Ihatei.

The TNE rulebook adds for 1132 'Aorlakht and Football worlds incorporated into Regency'

The Aorlakht are Aslan New Lords so are the Ihatei from 1119.

As my copy of TNE is not searchable no idea which are the Football worlds.

TNE also talks about some of the worlds the Regency reconquered in 1132 remaining under the rule of Aslan clans who maintain their traditional ways so clearly some of those Aorlakht submitted - why wouldn't they as long as their land holdings are recognised.

So they fought for/around Glisten but never took it...
Check the date Norris formed the Aslan staffed Patrol...
It was a Norris plot all along :)

If you make me look at that vile book again, I'll hate you forever. :p

But my recollection is that the Aslan took Glisten, but were completely driven out after the reconquest rather than accepted as part of the population.

So they fought for/around Glisten but never took it...
Check the date Norris formed the Aslan staffed Patrol...
It was a Norris plot all along :)
I've checked the MT map of the Marches and the Aslan invasion really seemed to have captured Glisten. They conquered (among other worlds) Mithras, Bicornn, Crout, Dodds & Tenelphi. They stopped short on Collace & Forine.
Pretty big invasion, knowing they also gobbled most of the Trojan Reach's to reach the Spinward Marches. That would require a lot of fleets & troops.
But I really like the Norris's Plot idea. Makes more sense than having a flood of Aslan Ihatei reaching that far in barely a few years (how long would it take for the information to reach the main part of the Hierate & Ihatei banding to get past a rift, thru the Reaches and into the Imperium.

For Glisten, if you don't have a fleet to protect you, Alsans just need to divert a few asteroids toward your stations/population centers. Just the threat could be enough force a surrender.
Alsan don't care for Glisten itself, it is not land for them, just a collection of rocks floating in space. Only the females would recognize the importance. Males would just see it as keeping a potential threat in their back...

Glisten was never taken.
1712046406554.png
Look carefully at the worlds that are "taken" in the Spinward Marches.

How many are Imperial worlds...
what was the population of the worlds before the Aslan "invasion"
how does a fleet of second hand TL12-13 ships defeat the TL15 forces that can be brought to bear by Norris? Glisten monitors could wipe out any Aslan threat.

Last edited:
Back