The coming Legend OGL

Dan True

Mongoose
Hello.

I could understand from Mongoose's statements that all core rulebooks, such as Deus Vult and Elric, will also become OGL, with all content except artwork included in the license. Does this only involve the content, or does it also involve the whole "brand" of say, Deus Vult?

My question is: is OGL only related to roleplaying games or does it also extend to, say, Computer Games? So, if I wanted to make a Deus Vult computer game, would I need to ask permission from Mongoose to do it and would I have to pay to use the Deus Vult title and a "Powered by Legend" sticker on the loading screen? or is it all included in the OGL?

This is merely a theoretical question, as I am not done with my master's degree yet. But in the future I think a Deus Vult game could be quite the thing.

- Dan

I think you have the wrong end of the stick.

Only the Legend books (the main rulebooks and the ... Of Legend books) will be open-content.

I seriously doubt they would allow free use of the Deus Vult 'brand', and probably can't allow free use of the Elric trademark/brand (I don't know if Elric is trademarked). I see Matt got in first.

As to the extent that Open Content can be used for computer games (or even computer software like character generators). Unless the licence has a clause that treats them differently, computer games are just another form of a transformative/derivative work. The original WotC OGL definitely allowed computer games to be made from their OGL content. However it isn't as easy as you might think - you have to state (and the user see) all the open content you use.

msprange said:
Deus Vult won't be OGL, only the 'core' Legend books.

Ah, I can see that now. Just reread this part:

oh, no! We will be declaring the entire ‘core line,’ (that is, any book with a title including ‘of Legend’) as Open Content SRDs. This means you will be able to freely use not only Monsters and Arms of Legend, but our core historical range as the basis of products as well, allowing you to design supplements, adventures and campaigns for Pirates, Vikings and Samurai of Legend, secure in the knowledge that all players will be using the same core rules

For some reason I though Deus Vult was part of the core range, though it makes no sense when I think about why now :p

But fine - so if I ever do go on with this project when I'm done with my masters, I will need to officially contact mongoose to discuss licensing. That sorta limits it to commercial projects, but great to know.

andyl said:
you have to state (and the user see) all the open content you use.

Sooh... you would have to include the program code related to, say the game system, if that is imported directly? CA, CM etc.
Hmm, that could become tiresome to handle.

- Dan

Dan True said:
andyl said:
you have to state (and the user see) all the open content you use.

Sooh... you would have to include the program code related to, say the game system, if that is imported directly? CA, CM etc.
Hmm, that could become tiresome to handle.
- Dan

Well not quite. I believe Minions Of Mirth used 3.5ed D&D rules under OGL and presented the tables and rules as HTML upon user request. They did not present their code.

andyl said:
Well not quite. I believe Minions Of Mirth used 3.5ed D&D rules under OGL and presented the tables and rules as HTML upon user request. They did not present their code.

Okay, that is a relief.

I wonder where Blood Magic fits into this - will it be counted as part of the core product line and some of its content released as OGC or will it be declared as closed content?

I'm interested in this question because I am thinking seriously about putting together some PDFs that expand the magic system from the core rules.

Back