Thanks for republishing Dragon Warriors!

I just wanted to drop a line stating my thanks for this game! I hadn't heard of it before, but knew the names James Wallis from the Hogshead WFRP, Andy Law from his maps in WFRP 2nd, and Jon Hodgson from playing Warhammer Ancients.

Again, I never heard of this game until I picked up the primer at the free rpg day a few months back, and when I saw the creative names involved, knew I needed this book. Well, I just read it and what can I say...awesome! In fact, I'm planning to run it later in the month (after a viewing of the other British classic - Hawk the Slayer :D ).

I hope sales are enough to warrant several future books. I'm particularly interested in adventures (or at least lots of hooks if setting books) as I'm a dad without much prep time, and the 'robin hood' class. The free magazine is also a great resource!

I do have one question. Again, I have yet to play the game, but if the party has two knights what will distinguish them besides role-play?

So, thanks and bring on more books in the Land of Legend!

Attibutes really. But thats it. And there is the rub I think with DW. What would differentiate between two Mystics, two Sorcerors et al. Honestly its roleplay all the way.

I do feel some additional skills are needed for the game. Each profession should be given some skill pick options similar to the Assassin. Take a look at Wayne's house rules in files on the yahoo group: a skill point character creation tool.

It's a very neat system and would allow you to make a classic profession character or develop a character that is a variant on that theme. I'd throw in a few more skills (along lines of True 20 or even D&D 4E) to givea wider protfolio of skill and abilities to use. And give starting charcter a couple more points to play with.
cheers

I would like to AGREE with CursedEarthPizza! :D (what a nickname! I'm italian, and I'm intrigued by a pizza with such a name!)

Like him, I'm totally new to DW as well. I heard of it here on the Mongoose website and Forum. At first I wasn't interested in it. I was playing RuneQuest and I wasn't looking for an light rules system like DW.
But lately I began to be bored by RQ's slow combat system (I was generally unhappy with RQ) and I began to look for an old school rpg.

I got the free introductory DW booklet at Magnum Opus Press website and...wow. I immediately realized DW was the system I needed!
The attack vs defence roll reminded me my youthness, when I got my first gamebooks and brought them to school to play them with my friends.

I was 11 yo at that time, and in Italy the early gamebooks of the Lone Wolf serie were introduced. Since then, I always tried to reproduce the atmosphear and feeling of those days.
I remember I read the gamebooks to my friends, gamemastering them and using the books not as a solo adventure, but as a true rpg.

Reading the easy-to-grasp Dragon Warrior's rules brought me back to those days. I felt a sooo sweet nostalgia...

I bought the Corebook, the Bestiary and Sleeping Gods. I just finished to read the Corebook and I'm very happy with that. I'll begin to play it in few months (I've to finish an adventure I'm playing and I've another one to gamemaster with AD&D), and I really can't wait to try it!

Even if still have to try DW, I would like to say something about the "what makes two Knights different each other" matter.
Pure roleplay. Yes, sure. And I think this is the best way to make players develop their characters.
I played D&D 3.5 and RuneQuest. In both games you have a lot of skills and feats (or Legendary Abilities in RQ) but I've to say that all this stuff doesn't help to develop the personality of a Player Character.
Players becomes very concentrated on the rules and worried about their skills.

Recently, a friend started an AD&D game and invited me as a player. I breathed the "good old" atmosphear of a game totally centered on roleplay, and I loved it.
You do not have any skill to persuade or itimidate someone... you have just to roleplay! Of course, the old school games require you trust your GamesMaster :D

Well, this is my opinion. But I'm grateful to Magnum Opus Press and Mongoose for having republished Dragon Warriors. Dave Morris and Oliver Johnson's classic really brought me back to my school days when I discovered Fantasy and RPG.

This is the greatest spell you could cast!

CursedEarthPizza said:
I do have one question. Again, I have yet to play the game, but if the party has two knights what will distinguish them besides role-play?

Nothing. In DW, its all about the role-play, so you will get as many Knight concepts as there are stars in the sky. This is a freeing factor not a limiting one IMO

CursedEarthPizza said:
I just wanted to drop a line stating my thanks for this game! I hadn't heard of it before, but knew the names James Wallis from the Hogshead WFRP, Andy Law from his maps in WFRP 2nd, and Jon Hodgson from playing Warhammer Ancients.

Again, I never heard of this game until I picked up the primer at the free rpg day a few months back, and when I saw the creative names involved, knew I needed this book. Well, I just read it and what can I say...awesome! In fact, I'm planning to run it later in the month (after a viewing of the other British classic - Hawk the Slayer :D ).

I hope sales are enough to warrant several future books. I'm particularly interested in adventures (or at least lots of hooks if setting books) as I'm a dad without much prep time, and the 'robin hood' class. The free magazine is also a great resource!

So, thanks and bring on more books in the Land of Legend!

Hey, I just wanted to drop in and say thanks for the thanks, at least the little part of it that applies to me. Much appreciated. DW is a continuing labour of love for me and (I hope I can say without being presumptuous) the rest of the team, so it's good to hear we're doing ok! I'll see if I'm allowed to sneak you guys a peek at some new artwork a bit later. Cheers!

Your work is inpsirational and very evokes just the right tone for the Dragon warriors world.

More to come I hope.

Thanks Troll! (Never thought I'd say that without a shred of sarcasm...)

Shhh! Don't tell anyone. Here's some internal art from Friends or Foes. Posted, of course, with kind permission.

merchants02.jpg

nobles02.jpg

Both images (C)2009 Magnum Opus Press and Jon Hodgson

Jonny Hodgson said:
Shhh! Don't tell anyone. Here's some internal art from Friends or Foes. Posted, of course, with kind permission.

Jon, those illustrations are truly phenominal! 8)

I'm staggered at the hard work and long hours that everyone has poured - and is still pouring - into the new DW books. Great job, guys!

Jonny Hodgson said:

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Jon, you're not only a great artist, but also a very kind person!
I love how you share your time and art with us!
I didn't know you before DW, but I've to say you have an unique
style and that your moody works helped me a lot to grasps
DW's atmosphear.
Thank you very much!

P.S. those works are simply amazing!!! It's great that all of you are working so hard for DW's new books! I'm new to the game, and I'm
loving it more and more.

Jonny Hodgson said:
Hey, I just wanted to drop in and say thanks for the thanks, at least the little part of it that applies to me. Much appreciated. DW is a continuing labour of love for me and (I hope I can say without being presumptuous) the rest of the team, so it's good to hear we're doing ok! I'll see if I'm allowed to sneak you guys a peek at some new artwork a bit later. Cheers!

Jon, I had your King Arthur piece as my desktop background for the longest time. It's a great, great piece of work.

In the 80's, I was living in Germany (army brat) and I would get White Dwarf and Fighting Fantasy books from one of the (at the time) local British bases. Your artwork definitely has a strong European feel, the type of which I spent hours gazing at in these publications. Please keep it up!

Hey guys, thank you so much for the kind words. I'm slightly overwhelmed, but I'm thrilled you're enjoying my small contribution to Dragon Warriors.

I know I am late to the party but....

I hadn't RPed for a few years and found my very old tatted copies of DW around the time a couple of work friends expressed an interest in giving RPing a go. Good timing I thought, then had a browse to look for any online content, and it seems the timing is a lot better than I thought. I have ordered a copy of the main rules, but may have to fall back on the paperbacks for all else in the meantime (Chrismas and a baby on the way :( well really :) but you know what I mean). DW was my first game, the D&D players at school where a bit fussy about who they let in. They looked down a bit at DW but our sessions seemed to be louder and more animated and we let other people join us. Having played through a lot of games and seen RP fads come and go DW is still my number one game for new players and seems to be the most fun. Easy to house rule things in but I like it as is.

So yeah thanks or bringing it back and I am really hoping I can get something started at work and heres hoping I can use it to introduce another generation into gaming.

It is in good hands and nice to see people I know hve delevered in the past guiding in the new run. I have a lot of respect as you guys have keeped some great games alive (would WFRP 2nd ed even be here if not for Hogshead? I doubt it its thanks to them I introduced the enemy within to new players)

Hi, I want to tell you about this game.This game is very different from other game and the techniques used in this game is mindblowing.I like the game because I had played it several times and this game become my favourite game.

Niki said:
<snip>
Even if still have to try DW, I would like to say something about the "what makes two Knights different each other" matter.
Pure roleplay. Yes, sure. And I think this is the best way to make players develop their characters.
I played D&D 3.5 and RuneQuest. In both games you have a lot of skills and feats (or Legendary Abilities in RQ) but I've to say that all this stuff doesn't help to develop the personality of a Player Character.
Players becomes very concentrated on the rules and worried about their skills.

Recently, a friend started an AD&D game and invited me as a player. I breathed the "good old" atmosphear of a game totally centered on roleplay, and I loved it.
You do not have any skill to persuade or itimidate someone... you have just to roleplay! Of course, the old school games require you trust your GamesMaster :D
<snip>
Emphasis mine.

Agreed!

Jonny Hodgson said:

merchants02.jpg

nobles02.jpg

Both images (C)2009 Magnum Opus Press and Jon Hodgson
Thank you, Jon, for sharing more of your excellent work! I seen nothing but positive reactions from fellow gamers who've viewed your art in the various DW books. I'm especially fond of the cover of Sleeping Gods!

hal said:
CursedEarthPizza said:

Nothing. In DW, its all about the role-play, so you will get as many Knight concepts as there are stars in the sky. This is a freeing factor not a limiting one IMO
Emphasis mine.

Absolutely!

Just took a look at the DW preview on DTRPG and on the strength of it bought Dragon Warriors and The Bestiary for it, looks like a nice rules light system for fantasy and simple enough to modify. I wanted a rules light fantasy system and had looked at Castles and Crusades which looked good but I can't find anywhere in the UK thats got both the main rulebboks in stock for it. Just ordered print copies of DW and the Bestiary as I like to have a PDF on my computer to work up scenarios from and a print book for learning the rules, chilling out reading and running games from.

Got to say I missed out on Dragon Warriors during the golden age and am glad to have run in to it now. Got Pathfinder and Fantasy Craft but I'm a Traveller player and prefer lighter systems.

If you like DW, you might like to take a look at our DW focussed fanzine, Ordo Draconis. You can see previews of some of the adventures and maps here

http://dragonwarriors.wetpaint.com/page/The+Fief+of+Eastmarch

and here

http://dragonwarriors.wetpaint.com/page/Northern+Cornumbria

You can buy it here

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=79261

Also, check out the rest of the DW Wiki for loads of great content related to Legend and DW here

http://dragonwarriors.wetpaint.com/

Back