Technomage Spell paths

Do you think that the vehicle sheet should be changed to 2 vehicles with more room for notes or left

• I like 4 vehicles. I have lots of stuff.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like 2 vehicles. I have detailed stuff.

• Other, please post specifics.

• Total voters

Kizarvexis

Mongoose
After playing around with the Technomage book for a few days, I thought a chart of the spell paths would be useful. Now when you create your Technomage, you can plan out what spells you need to get to be able to do the things you want once you pass the Becoming.

In case you haven't stopped by my page yet, on the page below are also a character sheet, a mage sheet, vehicle add-on sheets and Telepath add-on sheets.

My B5 RPG page

Kizarvexis

Edit: The reason for the vehicle poll, is that the Technomage Pinnace is a half sheet while the other vehicles are a quarter sheet. So basically, do you like the half sheet (Pinnace spells removed for more room for notes, mods, and weapons) or is the quarter sheet vehicle big enough. Sorry, I didn't make that clear at first and now I can't access the poll questions anymore.

Is it just me or does the poll not fit the question, I could be wrong though.

Anyway, the spell list thing is cool. It would allow for a greater level of planning and organization. Plus, it would bring more order to the chaos of choosing spells, always a plus. It will save the Order from destruction at the hands of chaos-hating Vorlons. :)

In your messsage you listed trying to make new useful spells, awesome and cool. The techno-mages can never have enough spells (even though they have, like 200 aready).

Mage Ash said:
Is it just me or does the poll not fit the question, I could be wrong though.

Well I was posting Technomage stuff and realized that the half-sheet Pinnace block could probably work better than the quarter-sheets of the generic vehicles. Basically, would people like to replace the spells on the Pinnacle sheet with more room for notes and stuff on their generic ships? (I'll re-word the poll questions.)

Mage Ash said:
Anyway, the spell list thing is cool. It would allow for a greater level of planning and organization. Plus, it would bring more order to the chaos of choosing spells, always a plus. It will save the Order from destruction at the hands of chaos-hating Vorlons. :)

Thanks. I needed something to help me figure out what you needed to be able to get a particular spell. I also noticed that at least two of the mages in the book, don't have all of the required spells for some of their spells.

Mage Ash said:
In your messsage you listed trying to make new useful spells, awesome and cool. The techno-mages can never have enough spells (even though they have, like 200 aready).

I count 290 and that doesn't include a spell to create the 'invisible' mage markings as mention in the Technomage trilogy or the runes on the walls of B5 in 'The Geometry of Shadows'. Yes, the runes on the walls of B5 could have been Phantom Images, but they would have to be continually maintained. The runes mentioned in the books seem to be permanent. So that is where I got the idea for this translation of D&D's Arcane Mark.

Arcane Rune
Requirements: Flare
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: 1 sq ft touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Casting Cost: 5
Maintenance Cost: N/A
Magery DC: 20
Save: Will negates

This rune allows you to inscribe your personal rune or mark, which can be no taller than 6 inches in height and consist of no more than six characters. The writing can be visible or invisible. Visible runes provide a maximum of a soft glow as would be provided by a 6 inch chemical glow stick. Invisible runes are made by using a combination of up to 3 different frequencies. Recombining those frequencies reveals the rune and a mage's basic sensors are capable of recombining the standard frequencies that mages use. An Arcane Rune spell enables you to etch the rune upon any substance (even stone or metal) without harm to the material upon which the rune is placed. If cast on a living being, normal wear gradually causes the rune to fade in about a month. A medlab facility can remove a rune using techniques similar to removing a tatoo. Living beings can negate the spell on a Will save, but inanimate objects automatically fail any save. Multiple Arcane Rune spells can be combined to create a larger pattern, but the casting time is quadrupled for the greater complexity and the magery DC is raised to 30. This spell may be used to trace over existing runes to, in effect, remove them from the target in question. This raises the casting time to 2 minutes, the casting cost to 10 and the magery DC to 24.

Rune is obviously a conjuration spell, so I compared it to Minor Creation (makes a permanent item from molecules in the air) and Phantom Image (creates an image.) Runes seem to be accessible to all mages, so I didn't want to have too many requirements. Since it is restricted to small areas and stringent uses, I figure just having Flare for a requirement is sufficient. Minor Creation has a casting time of 10 minutes while Phantom Image has a time of 1 round. One minute should be sufficient to draw no more than 6 characters of runes. The touch range and 1 sq ft of target area are self explanatory. Since Minor Creation creates permanent items out of the molecules in the air, I figure inscribing permanent runes shouldn't be that hard do. The Minor Creation cost is 10, so I figure a cost for this of 5 is reasonable. The Minor Creation magery DC is 34, reflecting the complications of assembling the item. Phantom Image has a DC of 15. I figure a DC of 20 should reflect the complexity of creating a permanent effect, but not be too difficult for low level mages to succeed.

What do you think? I've come up with 20 or 30 more, but I haven't put them through the creation process above yet, so I don't know how many will make the final cut. Don't expect anything in the near future though. I want to take time on this.

Kizarvexis

After a week of voting, the initial results are pretty even.

2 votes for "I like 4 vehicles. I have lots of stuff."

3 votes for "I like 2 vehicles. I have detailed stuff."

No votes for "Other, please post specifics."

Please get the vote out for the format you like.

Kizarvexis

Back