Tech Slosh and Empire based weapon systems

scoutdad said:
I don't think they would be common enough to show up in a fleet battle.

A one-off scenario perhaps. But it would need specific rules regarding set-up and victory conditions.

I assume there are no current stats for any such ships in SFB?

That is correct.
All Romulan ships have cloaking devices installed, whether they use them or not - you're still paying hte points for them.

All Orion Pirate ships are capable of cloaking (i.e., have cloaking costs established), but only 25 of the Orions in play can have cloaks.

The closest thing to that would be the Orion Prime Traitor (a version of the Prime Trader modified to handle a little light larceny on the side) from SFB Module R11. Though that ship is noted as being used by the various Cartels (with or without a cloaking device), one could imagine a "legitimate" Prime Trader being given a similar series of modifications.

(Although, in many cases, the best way to hide on a Prime Trader is in plain sight; the military-grade engines on a Prime Trader are designed to be physically indistinguishable from those on a Free Trader from the outside, making it eaiser to look just just another one of countless civilian-owned craft plying their trade across the Alpha Octant.)

Greg, no.

We cannot do cloaked Klingons. Those are outside of our contract.

Only Romulans and Orions who are working in a cartel that is in Romulan space (and that is a limited number even there) can have cloaks. For the Orions, a cloaking device not a "plug and play" device in that it replaces a weapon and isn't simply added on. You are sacrificing offense for defense as I understand it.

Jean

Jean said:
Greg, no.

We cannot do cloaked Klingons. Those are outside of our contract.

Only Romulans and Orions who are working in a cartel that is in Romulan space (and that is a limited number even there) can have cloaks. For the Orions, a cloaking device not a "plug and play" device in that it replaces a weapon and isn't simply added on. You are sacrificing offense for defense as I understand it.

Jean

Unqiue / Rare Cloaked Gorns, Kzinti, Lyrans (given they are Romulan allies) etc? They are surely fair game without infringing on any copyright for the valid reasons noted above?

IIRC the Cloaking device is not especially large one you have sorted out the tech issues o intergrated systems which your Orion smuggler or his Romulan slave can do for you - for a price.

Da Boss, if we have cloaked Gorns, then why wouldn't we have cloaked Klingons? Better to never start down that road from an in-universe rationality.

Jean

As the Klingons are the only race that are likely to cause issues you can adopt exactly the opposite path - just don't mention the cloaked Klingon ships that we know they have and make up fun unique / rare ships for the other Empires then there are no issues ;)

Given that there is an in universe need for specific ship shapes it would be another great reason to have new style/ looking variant ships for the Kzinti, Gorn etc.

or not..........

or create an new active stealth type system that is not cloaking but lets say the ship hull is black with some kind of energy absorbing paint , no running lights and a kind of scrambler to help confuse sensors. its not cloaked but it is harder to see and hit. such a system could be ported to other empires, but make the needed materials for the paint rare and costly

Jean said:

Jean

Cloaking devices on Orions do not replace weapons. They are an additional refit.

Any Orion may have a cloak, it is not Cartel limited. Nor are they limited as to how many you can have in a fleet.

Relevant Rule
(R8.R4) CLOAKING DEVICE REFIT: Many Orion ships (but only a minority) were equipped with cloaking devices to enhance their clandestine operations. The cost BPV and cost of operation are shown on the SSD for each ship.

Romulan police ships do not have a cloak. The only Romulan combat units to lack them.

It has been stated by SVC in various topics (sorry can't point to one off the top of my head) that the various Empires have a handful of cloaking devices used by CIA/GRU/MI6 equivalents, but that they disappear into the background and are not available for (S8.0) (pickup) type games. To date I am unaware of any scenarios that feature such units.

adm, thanks for having my back on that! I usually play Orion phaser-boats and don't worry about being sneaky. :)

Da Boss said:
Soo looking at the Empires

Klingons:
Unique Weapon: none
Sloshed Weapons: Drones, Phasers
Minor error here; the kligons have (or used to in my day) have the stasis field generator (SFG). It didn't do any damage, was fitted to a grand total of four ships (B-10A, C9-A, D7-A and D5-A), and couldn't even be used by the Orion Pirates. It was fun to use, especially on a B10-A, and frustrating for your opponent who thought that nothing could stop him from getting an alpha strike on you :D

adm said:
Any Orion may have a cloak, it is not Cartel limited. Nor are they limited as to how many you can have in a fleet.

Relevant Rule
(R8.R4) CLOAKING DEVICE REFIT: Many Orion ships (but only a minority) were equipped with cloaking devices to enhance their clandestine operations. The cost BPV and cost of operation are shown on the SSD for each ship.

Romulan police ships do not have a cloak. The only Romulan combat units to lack them.

It has been stated by SVC in various topics (sorry can't point to one off the top of my head) that the various Empires have a handful of cloaking devices used by CIA/GRU/MI6 equivalents, but that they disappear into the background and are not available for (S8.0) (pickup) type games. To date I am unaware of any scenarios that feature such units.

Right then thats sorted - so there are a small number of cloaking devices available to all empires for special operations - that makes sense as we discussed.

adm said:

That is exactly what we needed to know, thanks.

I will note that my knowledge is based on Star Fleet Battles, not Federation Commander. While related, the two systems are different, and ACTA:SF is based on FC, as I understand it.

adm said:
I will note that my knowledge is based on Star Fleet Battles, not Federation Commander. While related, the two systems are different, and ACTA:SF is based on FC, as I understand it.

Yes but it's the time line and background that we are talking about, since both SFB and FC have no cloaks for the Klingons, Feds, Gorns etc. The fact they do have some but reserve them for the "Spooks" is what we were looking for.

Back