Kzinti vs. Feds 1k Test Game

Hi all! As I mentioned in the other tread, I was going to try and get in a few games this week with the Kzinti to test out the new 3 drone ship rule and was able to get a solo game in last night (I won, I won!! :lol: )

Feds vs Kzinti
1,000 points
Rescue Mission 4x6 table with 6 pieces of terrain
Using the new “3 Drone ship” rule

Fed:
2x BCH
1x NCA
3x FFB
(Ive never played the Feds and only against them once so Im sure this is not the best list)

Kzinti:
5x NCA
1x DW

Feds had to set up first. They set up on Middle-left of table with one of the BCHs almost lined up with the ship that needed to be rescued. All other ships to left of it in a nice battle line. The poor Federation commander just graduated from Starfleet academy and was a bit overwhelmed to find himself in command of such a powerful battle group. As such, he wasn’t really sure what to do so decided to close with the enemy as soon as possible while keeping his biggest ship close to the ship in distress (objective). He also decided to keep his ships together for IDF protection.

The kzinti commander having ships armed mostly with forward firing Disruptors decided to throw maneuver to the wind. The Kzinti set up directly across from the Feds with 5 NCAs and the 1 DW was on the flank behind an asteroid. The plan was to kill the smaller ship first then focus on the big boys.

Turn 1:
Feds moved up full 12 inches
Kzinti moved up to within Disruptor and drone range
Feds only got 2 IDF out of the 7 attempts

Kzinti focused on the two FFBs that had rolled IDF. Feds had no shots turn 1
At the end of the turn, one FFB was crippled and the other having about ½ shield left over and some internal damage. Feds stopped most of the drones but lost all ADD on the two frigates.

Turn 2:
Feds move forward to within Photon Range and most get centerline shots on one NCA (except crippled FFB who moved backwards and tried to activate warp engines as he only had 2 hits left)
Kzinti move backwards 4” and boost power to shields. They are still within Photon range but now at long range. All disruptors and Phaser 1s are in range

At the end of the turn, the Kzinti NCA is dead and 3 Fed FFBs are dead (the two that were damaged earlier and the final one).

Turn 3:
Feds now only have 2 BCH and 1 NCA vs. the 4 Kzinti NCAs and 1 DW.
Feds back up 4” and reload Photons
Kzinti, move forward and get several NCAs within Killzone shots on one BCH. All ships centerline on this BCH.

Feds focus on one NCA. At the end of the turn, the Kzinit NCA has 6 shields left and has taken minor internal damage (5-6 hits). The Fed BCH is crippled with 8 hits remaining.

Conclusion:
At this point the Kzinti’s plan was to speed past the slower Fed fleet (get out of Photon arcs) and finish off the BCH with Drones and whatever side shots I could muster. It was looking grim for the Federation commander so he would have most likely started for home with his 2 remaining ships (plus it was late for both commanders and they needed sleep! :shock: ).

Even for a solo game I had a good time, my opponent was gracious and really a fantastic player…and intelligent…and handsome… :wink:

So as I mention above, Ive never played the Feds so Im sure I did lots of things wrong with them (including the composition of the fleet). Maybe waiting a turn to get close range shots with the Photons? Also, you cant discount the “national influence” when playing solo games so maybe I was secretly rooting for the Kzinit the whole time.

Anyway, as a Kzinti player, I still like the way the fleet handles. Drones are still versatile. With the half dozen games Ive played so far, Im coming to see the drones as a nice “finishing” weapon in many cases (at least vs the ADD races). I feel the strategy will change when facing Gorn (looking at you Capt. Jonah! :D ) or other non ADD races. But against Klingons and Feds, I typically try to clear out some ADD on the “approach” turn(s). Then try to get in Medium range, focusing on one ship with all my ships Disruptors and Phasers. If that ship has no ADD left, its in a world of hurt…3 ships worth of Drones are painful.

Also, they still have the great range consideration. In the game I played last night, I was able to pop that crippled ship (from 30”) while it was trying to escape…super fun :twisted: .

Anyway, Im up for running a few more solo games if anyone has a 1000 point fleet they want me to run against. If so, just post it here and I will let you know how it goes.

Dude. I would never take FF's against Kzinti's except as a final initiative sink to fill in the last points. For that matter, a Fed should not take any ship with less than 2 ADD/Drones when fighting the Kzinti except as a fill in the last points initiative sink thing. Also, they are Kzinti for goodness sake, at a minimum there should be 2 X DWD's, maybe more. (it isn't cheesey if you're shafting hairballs)

McKinstry said:
Dude. I would never take FF's against Kzinti's except as a final initiative sink to fill in the last points. For that matter, a Fed should not take any ship with less than 2 ADD/Drones when fighting the Kzinti except as a fill in the last points initiative sink thing. Also, they are Kzinti for goodness sake, at a minimum there should be 2 X DWD's, maybe more. (it isn't cheesey if you're shafting hairballs)

LOL...well two things:
1) I was looking for a list not designed to play Kzinti (such that you would take to a tourney).

2) Did you not see read the post above :?: I JUST graduated from Starfleet Academy...the commander probably just picked random ships from the book...oh wait, thats what I did :lol:

Seriously though, build a 1k fleet that you would use vs all comers (any race out there) and I'll try it out tonight. Im trying to avoid building fleets just play against race x (Coincidently, this is why I must own at least 3 fleets/armys for whatever game system we are playing so you never know what Im showing up with for the weekend games...mwhahahahaha!).

As the Feds, I think I might have picked:

BCH 240
NCC 220
NCA 190
2 DW 240
1 DWD 110
1000 pts, and substantially better ADD/drone capabilities than the OP's fleet.

billclo said:

BCH 240
NCC 220
NCA 190
2 DW 240
1 DWD 110

Nice balanced fleet but PG is in the tank for the hairballs. :p

Pavlov Grenadier said:
Seriously though, build a 1k fleet that you would use vs all comers (any race out there) and I'll try it out tonight. Im trying to avoid building fleets just play against race x (Coincidently, this is why I must own at least 3 fleets/armys for whatever game system we are playing so you never know what Im showing up with for the weekend games...mwhahahahaha!).
For Federation "take any and all comers," you might try this fleet that gord314 posted in the Romulan Tactics thread:
  • 3xBCH
  • 1xNCL
  • 1xDW
That list happens to be exactly 1000 points, and is very much a generalist list.

For Klingons, a good general purpose list that's exactly 1000 points is the following:

• D7C
  • 2xD5W
  • 2xD5
  • 1xF5

I usually prefer to squeeze in one FD7 somewhere, since it can scoot around the board like nobody's business, but if I was going blind into a tournament and expecting to face only straight combat scenarios, I'd probably run that list.

OK, just finished another solo game.

My same fleet (5 NCA, 1 DW) vs the Fed fleet that Bilclo mentions a few posts above. This time I played Space Superiority. Good game, lasted 5 turns and "we" called it with another Kzinti victory. This game was much closer with 2 Kzinti NCAs killed and the feds loosing both DWs and the NCA. The Fed BCH was close to crippled with no ADD/Drones left and the Kzinti were in a good position to finish it off the following turn.

Although the last two games have been solo, Im not seeing any issues with the new drone rules so far (obviously 2 solo games isnt conclusive but its a start). I will be playing some more games this weekend with actual people so will keep you posted as to any trends/issues the group sees.

TJHairball: If I have time tomorrow night, I will try one of those lists out. Thanks!!

Well, with the latest errata, that Klingon list creeps up to 1005, by the way.

Another list, one for "foolproof" use - a lot easier to use if you don't have a lot of practice with Klingons - would be:

• C7
  • 4xD5W

That's 980 points and only five ships, but should still be able to fight most 1000 point lists just fine.

TJHairball said:

Another list, one for "foolproof" use - a lot easier to use if you don't have a lot of practice with Klingons - would be:

• C7
  • 4xD5W

That's 980 points and only five ships, but should still be able to fight most 1000 point lists just fine.
Lacks versatility.

Totenkopf said:
TJHairball said:

• C7
  • 4xD5W

Lacks versatility.
What it's lacking are fast ships, initiative sinking, and uniform agility - which are great, mind you, butif you're not very practiced, you probably won't be taking full advantage of your movement options and initiative management, so that's why I recommend it for an inexperienced player.

The D5W has no appreciable weaknesses (much like the BCH in the Federation), which means that if you can afford to take a D5W instead of another regular battlecruiser, you should; going with straight D5Ws affords you more, not less, flexibility, since the D5W does everything.

Compared to, say, the first list, it's missing 2 total dice of 15" disruptors, but has better arcs on its mainline disruptors. It has 4 fewer cumulative points of shields. It has 34 phaser-1s instead of 27, and the same - 52 - total phasers. It has 12 drones, instead of 11 (and concentrates them better for that three ship limit).

billclo said:

BCH 240
NCC 220
NCA 190
2 DW 240
1 DWD 110

After a couple games as the Feds, I'd have to say MORE small ships to act as a reserve/flankers because the cruisers have a hard time getting targets in Fore Arc (especially against Klingons).

Revise the list to:
NCC 220
NCL 160
2 DW 240
4 FF 285
1000 pts. Slightly less drone defense, but more ships.

Since it is not possible to be cheesey verus a Kizinti, I would prefer -

BCH @ 240
2 x CS @ 370
3 x DWD @ 390

And since it is a 1,000 point game, I'd point to Page 24 and play on a 4 x 4 table.

Back