TCS Questions

LiNeNoiSe

Mongoose
I have a couple of questions about Adventure 3, Trillion Credit Squadron.

On page 117, it dicusses a race of quasi-intelligent insects, but it doesn't seem to indicate on which planet they are located. It states, "Aitme is the secondary site of near-intelligent life in the Island Clusters..." They seem to be listed as "Aitmen" in the animal stats at the bottom of the page. Does anyone know which planet?

On page 116, it states, "Then came the Third Frontier War and one of the Two Gods darkest moments." Does anyone know who the "Two Gods" are and what they have to do with the Third Frontier War?

TIA

LiNeNoiSe said:
I have a couple of questions about Adventure 3, Trillion Credit Squadron.

On page 117, it dicusses a race of quasi-intelligent insects, but it doesn't seem to indicate on which planet they are located. It states, "Aitme is the secondary site of near-intelligent life in the Island Clusters..." They seem to be listed as "Aitmen" in the animal stats at the bottom of the page. Does anyone know which planet?

On page 116, it states, "Then came the Third Frontier War and one of the Two Gods darkest moments." Does anyone know who the "Two Gods" are and what they have to do with the Third Frontier War?

TIA
I'm guessing these are PDF page numbers rather than book page numbers. Aitme sounds like a cool planet name to rename one of the existing planets with. Two Gods sounds like a cool starship class name. All of these Traveller adventure books have random words in them since the late '70s. Can't be helped, it would seem. Either committee written or single-handedly written without any editors.

I can't find any mention of either Aitme/Aitmen or Two Gods in any other material. The author may have made other mention to them in the book, but it was cut.

Two Gods sounds like a cool starship class name.

While you can certainly make it like that, it doesn't look like that was the intention. Starship names are italicized.

Jeraa said:
I can't find any mention of either Aitme/Aitmen or Two Gods in any other material. The author may have made other mention to them in the book, but it was cut.

Two Gods sounds like a cool starship class name.

While you can certainly make it like that, it doesn't look like that was the intention. Starship names are italicized.
Global search/replace FAIL at the last minute before publishing. Maybe the PDF has been updated since then?

Thanks to everyone for your prompt replies.

Jeraa said:

I couldn't recall seeing them mentioned elsewhere. I thought they might have been listed in a book that I don't have. I found no trace of them on the web.

Weren't Seredip's Belters religious fanatics?

I don't think it was the Serendips, but I believe somebody was. I'm re-reading MJD's Reft Sector. It's probably in there somewhere, but I still don't remember "Two Gods" being mentioned anywhere else. I was mostly interested in the location of the "Aitmen" and their symbiotic ursoids. Figured I'd ask about the gods while I was here.

Esperanza should be interesting with a population of sixty five billion.

With a budget of seventy one trillion schmuckers, and construction potential of over seventy billion tons, even at tech level eleven, it should have conquered most of the surrounding worlds.

Condottiere said:
Esperanza should be interesting with a population of sixty five billion.

Especially since it's only 40 percent water.

With a budget of seventy one trillion schmuckers, and construction potential of over seventy billion tons, even at tech level eleven, it should have conquered most of the surrounding worlds.

GDW had the same problem in the original. They didn't use population multipliers back then, so the default of ten billion was used. Mongoose actually made it worse. TD #20 and RSB both list the multiple as 3. They tripled the problem. Mongoose doubled it again. It's clear that neither GDW, nor Mongoose, bothered to actually setup a TCS campaign in the Islands Cluster.

I suppose that the easiest playability fix would be to divide Esperanza's population by ten and multiply New Home's by ten. That would make all the major powers roughly equal and would be compatible with MJD's descriptions in Reft Sector.

Of course, that still leaves the problem of 2.8 billion people living in the Serendip Belt.

Esperanza could qualify as a hive world or Megacity One, depending on how decadent it is.

Serendip Belt could be based on scarcity, especially water.

Back