Advancement & Commission, and a Lot More!

vladthemad

Mongoose
Greetings, I could use some more help with rules clarification...this might be a running theme with my posts as all of the following came up just during ONE player's character generation and we have four characters to go! Anyway, onto the long intro for my first question!

In the Main Rulebook, the table on page 5 states "Military characters (army, navy, marines) can roll for commission instead of rolling for advancement." Further in the book, it's a bit confusing because page 8 states commission rolls are optional, and page 9 states advancement rolls are mandatory for each term, even if an event already promoted you once...leading to a possible two promotions a term. No mention of commissions are made related to that possible double advancement due to events, or rolling advancement after a commission that I saw. I assumed that the table was correct because it's more clearly stated that it's either/or, mandatory advancement roll rule aside. That was until we looked in High Guard...

Now, in Book 2 High Guard the character creation example on page 40 shows that in the first term Harek gets an event that gives +4 on his next advancement roll. The example then states that he uses that +4 to gain his commission (as advancement DMs can be applied to commissions in the core rules), and then makes his advancement roll, bumping him to O2 in his first term, thus gaining a commission AND an advancement after.

So, is the commission roll instead of or in addition to the advancement roll?

I assume you can change assignment within a career path as desired while in that career path without needing to requalify. I also assume if you leave one assignment for a different career, you can't come back to a different assignment in the previous career. Which leads me to my next question...

This relates mostly to High Guard and the Scout books. In the core rules, if you leave one path, you can't return to it. Each path has three specialties. If you leave the scouts, you can't return to the scouts, if you're kicked out of the navy, you can't return to the navy barring the draft. Anyway, with the High Guard and Scout books the paths/assignments for these services are greatly expanded. Do I treat each section of the expanded navy/scouts as it's own career path with three assignments like the careers in the core rulebook, or do I treat them all as one HUGE path with dozens of assignments? I assume I need to roll for qualification if I switch from scout-courier-xboat to scout-contact-diplomacy, is this correct? If I leave scout-courier to do a term or two in merchant, can I come back to scout-contact or am I out of the scouts all together?

On to more vagueness in the rules! On page 10 of High Guard, result 65 of the event table for crewmen states "You impress a visiting officer so much you may automatically enter a path of service of your choice that you have the qualifications for." Qualification is generally a stat roll you need to beat in the core rules, but in High Guard (and upon checking this is also in Book 1 Mercenary) there's also the previous service qualification that if met allows you to automatically qualify. If that's the case in both instances this event doesn't seem to give any benefit. So what exactly are they driving at here?

Also related to that, in the character creation example in High Guard on page 40 Harek rolls to transfer to the Pilot path after reaching O2 as a crewman in his first term. He rolls for qualification, and it lists his rolls and DMs. Now according to the chart on page 5 and the previous service area listed under pilot on page 23, he should have automatically qualified with the one term in the navy he spent as a crewman. After being ejected on his third term in a subsector navy, for his forth term he joins a planetary navy as a pilot, automatically qualifying due to previously having (I assume they mean "at least") two naval terms. This appears to be that the rules were changed after the example was created as they don't seem to match, am I correct in this assumption?

Also in the case of High Guard, many of the rules seem vaguely contradictory. Page 4 states "Some of the more exalted careers can only be reached by working your way up the ranks.", but all paths have a qualification roll...albeit some of them are VERY unlikely to be made. Still, with a INT roll of 12 you could go right into high command for your first term. On top of that, page 6 talks about jumping rank and how it gives negative DM modifiers to your qualification roll if you move to a career that your current rank falls outside of the min and max of. If you do make that adjusted qualification roll and you are below the minimum rank, you are automatically promoted. The problem is that all the paths have a previous service qualification that allows you to circumvent all of that. If I finish my first term as a crewman with no promotions, I can jump up to an E3 simply by switching to the Flight path with the one naval term previous service qualification. If I manage to get a commission while on flight, I'm automatically boosted to O2. If I then leave flight as an O2 after two terms, I qualify for command with my three previous terms and am boosted to an O5. Heck, you could even do six terms as a crewman and as long as you gained a commission you could jump right up to O6 by joining high command with your automatic qualification due to your previous six terms.

Basically that all boils down to the rules on page 4 stating that it's a qualification roll OR previous service, but everything seems to be written towards requiring a qualification roll AND previous service. If that latter were true things would make a lot more sense...and it'd be a lot harder to get into high command! Can someone clarify?

Also regarding ranks, if they carry from one path to the next in the navy and each path has it's own mustering out table, how does this work exactly? Do you muster out each time you change a path or do you only muster out with your highest rank from your last path or every time you change path? The latter is how it appears in the character creation example given in High Guard and Scouts, but as noted the character creation examples are already considered suspect by me :wink: . The problem I see is if the a player were to game the system as above, they could remain in the relatively safe position of crewman in the imperial navy for six terms, and automatically qualify for High Command on their seventh and final term due to the previous service qualification. All their benefits would then be on the High Command table. The other option is to treat each path as a separate career, but then you run into the problem that ranks carry over giving more benefit rolls than usual. In the core rules, if I muster out and change careers, my rank is set back to 0 in my new career. In the expanded navy rules my rank carries giving me ever more benefits for each new career path I take.

Also, is rank separate between the planetary, subsector, and imperial navies? Are you only supposed to take your mustering out benefits when you leave the navy all together, or do you take it each time you leave one for another? In the Harek example (yep again) on page 40, when he goes from crewman to pilot in the subsector navy, he doesn't take benefits. When he leaves as a subsector pilot to become a planetary navy pilot, he does take his benefits. While that makes sense to me, I just want clarification as the example seems wrong on other points. Also I can't tell if they are saying his rank carried over when he went from subsector to planetary or if he just happened to stay the same rank because he was at the minimum rank for that career.

Whew! That was a lot to get organized! Thanks to anyone who bothered to read all the way through, and double thanks to any that can shed light on these questions!

Previous Service is a requirement, not an automatic qualifcation.

High Command requires you to have at least 6 previous terms in the Imperial Navy before you can select that career. You still have to qualify

AndrewW said:

High Command requires you to have at least 6 previous terms in the Imperial Navy before you can select that career. You still have to qualify

I'm not sure about that...

High Guard said:
There are two distinct ways to choose to roll a term on a naval career path. Either simply meet the listed Qualifications of the path as normal, or meet the ‘Previous Service’ terms listed for each naval career.

Balfuset790 said:
AndrewW said:

I'm not sure about that...

High Guard said:
There are two distinct ways to choose to roll a term on a naval career path. Either simply meet the listed Qualifications of the path as normal, or meet the ‘Previous Service’ terms listed for each naval career.

Yeah, that's where the confusion comes from. After discussing it with my players,writing this post, and looking at how everything beside that single sentence are written, it really doesn't make any sense. But if you take it as a requirement all the examples I questioned in the OP make sense, so I feel that Balfuset is more than likely correct. If it was written to be a requirement most of what I'm asking about would be answered.

We've also discussed the rather absurd notion that if I try to transfer from one career to another but don't qualify, suddenly I have to either draft or become a drifter. Who quits their job first, then starts looking for another job? You should only have to submit for the draft or go drifter if you failed a survival roll and then didn't make your next qualification. Applying for a new job and failing shouldn't result in you losing your old job. With High Guard this even makes less sense. If I'm on my first term as a crewman and I try to advance to gunnery and fail, the Navy kicks me out and I have to become a drifter? That's nonsense, but if you take the core rules at face value that's exactly what would happen.

At any rate, my group is going to assume that it was meant that previous service be a requirement before you can even attempt to qualify for another position as well as not force you out of a career if you don't qualify for another one. You are only forced into the draft/drifter if you lose your previous job first due to events or a failed survival roll.

So...those questions answered, what else did I ask about in my essay? :)

vladthemad said:
We've also discussed the rather absurd notion that if I try to transfer from one career to another but don't qualify, suddenly I have to either draft or become a drifter. Who quits their job first, then starts looking for another job?
Chargen is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery
veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery
faaaaaaaaaaarrrr
from any type of simulation of reality.

Does one need to qualify first before trying to rob the corner store? (Rouge qualification)
As you gain experience in life, is it harder to get a new job? (-1 DM per previous career)
Do over 50% of the people who leave the Navy get either an air raft or ships boat? (Navy muster table)
And the list can go on for pages and pages.

An entire career simulation can't be condensed into one page of a book. It is a simple game mechanic meant for creating game characters.

On the plus side, because it is so simplified and life is complex, I can usually think of some way that makes sense. Certainly not all the time, but since I know the chargen can not simulate all possibilities I can at live with it.

In this case here are just three possibilities off the top of my head
1) you have the naval character who has ambition and is trying to move up and when the Navy does not recognize their obvious abilities and turns them down they feel it is time to move on, take a break, and contemplate life and the universe while deciding what to do next.
2) the navy found this person a disgruntled asset who is unhappy with their current position and with no potential for improvement. Your not booted out but you are not offered reenlistment.
3) the service is downsizing. Your only chance is a transfer but you don't get it. bye bye

But as said. Do what is best for your group to have fun.

Personally I looked at it as not a career change but a qual for changing to a new specialty within a career.

Have to reread things to see how it is worded in high guard.

With any RPG, the examples used are rarely updated whenever their rules are re-edited before product release. So GMs have to make do as usual.

AndrewW said:
Rules are made to be broken, use whatever works for you and your players.

Granted, but I was hoping for a little light to be shed on the reasoning behind it...assuming it wasn't just a mistake ;)

CosmicGamer said:
vladthemad said:
We've also discussed the rather absurd notion that if I try to transfer from one career to another but don't qualify, suddenly I have to either draft or become a drifter. Who quits their job first, then starts looking for another job?
Chargen is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery
veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery
faaaaaaaaaaarrrr
from any type of simulation of reality.

Does one need to qualify first before trying to rob the corner store? (Rouge qualification)
As you gain experience in life, is it harder to get a new job? (-1 DM per previous career)
Do over 50% of the people who leave the Navy get either an air raft or ships boat? (Navy muster table)
And the list can go on for pages and pages.

An entire career simulation can't be condensed into one page of a book. It is a simple game mechanic meant for creating game characters.

On the plus side, because it is so simplified and life is complex, I can usually think of some way that makes sense. Certainly not all the time, but since I know the chargen can not simulate all possibilities I can at live with it.

In this case here are just three possibilities off the top of my head
1) you have the naval character who has ambition and is trying to move up and when the Navy does not recognize their obvious abilities and turns them down they feel it is time to move on, take a break, and contemplate life and the universe while deciding what to do next.
2) the navy found this person a disgruntled asset who is unhappy with their current position and with no potential for improvement. Your not booted out but you are not offered reenlistment.
3) the service is downsizing. Your only chance is a transfer but you don't get it. bye bye

But as said. Do what is best for your group to have fun.

Personally I looked at it as not a career change but a qual for changing to a new specialty within a career.

Have to reread things to see how it is worded in high guard.

Well, I can see some qualifications, even for things like thief, making some logical sense. Maybe it's initiation to join a gang? But you're probably right, removing the forced leaving of your old career if you fail to join another is a game mechanic and probably meant to make more colorful characters. Sadly with my players it results in a lot of drifters because they tend to want to try and sample every job instead of sticking to one for multiple terms...and they really suck at rolling dice! Hah.

In the core rule book, yeah a lot of that makes sense. I guess when we discussed it, we didn't take into account such factors. The rules in High Guard though really don't make a lot of sense, mechanic-wise or logic-wise, UNLESS you change that one rule that states it's either make the qualification roll OR meet the previous term requirements. As noted in high guard, if you follow the rules as written, any schmuck who served six terms as a crewman and managed to get a commission at some point during those six years can automatically jump into being a fleet commander. That seems very broken, mechanically and logically. That's not the only point, there were many items that didn't make sense in life events too...unless both a qualification roll and the previous terms were required.

Also, can anyone shed light on whether I need to make a qualification roll if shifting between the three branches of a particular career? As an example, does a Scholar need to re-qualify to move from field researcher to scientist?

vladthemad said:
Also, can anyone shed light on whether I need to make a qualification roll if shifting between the three branches of a particular career? As an example, does a Scholar need to re-qualify to move from field researcher to scientist?
As per the core rules one quals or enlists to enter a career. If you follow the Character Generation Checklist on page 5 of the core rules it is pretty clear that one can change specialization without another roll for qual or enlistment during that career.

I'm not sure without researching the wording, in high guard is each category just a grouping of three specialties within the navy career or does the book refer to them as separate careers?

vladthemad said:

It isn't a qualification roll, iirc, the character either qualifies or does not; step 5 being to choose a specialization.

CosmicGamer said:
As per the core rules one quals or enlists to enter a career. If you follow the Character Generation Checklist on page 5 of the core rules it is pretty clear that one can change specialization without another roll for qual or enlistment during that career.

I'm not sure without researching the wording, in high guard is each category just a grouping of three specialties within the navy career or does the book refer to them as separate careers?

dragoner said:
It isn't a qualification roll, iirc, the character either qualifies or does not; step 5 being to choose a specialization.

Alright, I figured as much, but my players asked...so I thought I'd double check by asking here :)

dragoner said:
vladthemad said:

All of the Naval careers in HG are the same career, so you don't drop out to the Drifter if you fail to qualify, you just stay where you were (the Navy doesn't approve your transfer request, but that is not the same as kicking you out).

This was asked and answered early on in the Errata board, but apparently didn't make it into the actual Errata incorporated.

PERSONALLY, I require a Qualification roll to change specialties, but again, failure just means you stay in your current specialty.

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
dragoner said:
vladthemad said:

All of the Naval careers in HG are the same career, so you don't drop out to the Drifter if you fail to qualify, you just stay where you were (the Navy doesn't approve your transfer request, but that is not the same as kicking you out).

This was asked and answered early on in the Errata board, but apparently didn't make it into the actual Errata incorporated.

PERSONALLY, I require a Qualification roll to change specialties, but again, failure just means you stay in your current specialty.

It is GM choice when to require a roll. You do, I don't; not a big deal. Though I like to give the player a little more choice in the direction the character takes. I just got the HG errata document not too long ago, imo more accessibility would be good for it.

Just had a thought about this, and was wondering what people thought.

In order to provide a less 100% random character creation system might it be a reasonable house rule to say that Qualification numbers are not dice rolls, but stat numbers?

For example, a career has a qualification of Int 5+, that means you have to have an Int SCORE of 5 or more, and at that point you qualify automatically. You would make advancement and survival rolls as normal to have a bit of the winds of fate still involved, but it opens up the creation a bit more so players can come to the table with concepts and create something approximating the concept, rather than having their concept defined by the creation process.

Balfuset790 said:
In order to provide a less 100% random character creation system might it be a reasonable house rule to say that Qualification numbers are not dice rolls, but stat numbers?

it opens up the creation a bit more so players can come to the table with concepts and create something approximating the concept, rather than having their concept defined by the creation process.
I think the reasoning you give makes sense but I suggest you just throw the whole qual away.

The Merchants will still take someone with a 222422 but not a AAA3AA.

Marines won't take a CC5CC8 into the Support specialty for a medic or comms, mechanic, or drive/Flyer. Even that great dex making one a decent shot is not allowed to enlist at all.

Just saying, if you are going to make a house rule for the reason stated, why not just go all the way?

Back