Sumner and Gearing Class DD's

Really did like the times, where with minimal paperwork, you could just throw down your pieces on the board and get to the playing. Those simple games could provide Hours of fun.

I've played games baed on the HH universe using a variant of Full Thrust and to be honest I enjotyed them a lot more than SITS - probably because the gus I was playing with could understand the rules :)

I posted on the Forum "What should Mongoose publish next" I posted WW1 add on for VAS. I was answered by somebody that said it was allready being worked on. I'm wondering if theres gonna be the Add On, and then an OOB as well for WW1. Since im relatively new to VAS, I was wondering how long it actually took Mongoose to do up the OOB after they had released VAS?

The "someone"was me :)

Nothing has been decided, but I expect what will happen is this:

1) MGP publish VAS: Age of DreadnOughts which currently has the British, German, Russian and Turkish navIes statted up (allowing for campaigns in the North Sea, Black Sea and the Baltic) - The Russians and Turks might be "stood down" for the initial release. The US ships of the 6th battle Squadron might be included.

2) Depending on the success of AoD I expect there would be an OOB type supplement adding other navies, such as the French, Italian and Auststian (possibly japanese) and more US. Also a campaign system for 1914 "Hunt the Raider" type campaigns.

3) Other stuff in S&P.

It Appears to me that VAS and the OOB were(Are) quite successfull, alltho this would be a personal observation and of course not based off of sales and such. I'd think the Age of Dreadnaughts should do well with Naval Wargamers. I personally dont want to go spend money on a seperate system just to play WW1 Naval combat.One System is fine with me! :D

) MGP publish VAS: Age of DreadnOughts which currently has the British, German, Russian and Turkish navIes statted up (allowing for campaigns in the North Sea, Black Sea and the Baltic) - The Russians and Turks might be "stood down" for the initial release. The US ships of the 6th battle Squadron might be included.

hmph, no Italians and Austrians first time around :(

mention the only two navies i've got in force why don't you! lol.

I am very curious as to what time frame we are looking at here? i only have two ships for WW1 so far, SMS Bayern and HMS Agincort, been doing mostly WW2.

The current draf is up to over 160 pages in MS Word at the moment so there are space issues :)

There is nothing to stop us statting the Austrian, French and Italian fleets now (in fact it is highly likely that they will be). Whether they'd get in I suspect would rest on the perceived commercial aspects.

I posted a question earlier on in this forum, you probably missed it DM. Mackensen Class Dreadnaught? supposedly what the Bismarck and other German Naval vessels of WW2 are designed from.. I see that mentioned but so far I havent seen any design drawings..stats. pictures..nothing.
Bismarck and Tirpitz Gun turrets especially are mentioned as having originally been designed for this class.Any idea where i could find this Information?

Uh, nevermind I googled it and this is what ive found.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackensen_class_battlecruiser

Also for those interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_class_battleship

I would have thought Italian and Austrian WW1 fleets would be of more general interest than Russian and Turkish. What fleet actions did the latter fight, if any?

Im not sure if im correct, but I believe the Turkish fleet might have seen some action in the Dardanelles campaign, been a long time since I read up on a lot of this... I do remember that a German Battlecruiser had to put into a Turkish port to get away from the British navy. Later on she was supposedly"Sold" to turkey. But I dont know if she saw any action after that.

That would be the Battlecruiser Goben. Was the German station ship in the med at outbreak of war. Dodged British attempts at interception before and after Britains entry into the war and escaped to Turkey. 'Sold' to the Ottoman Empire then pretty much dragged the empire into the war by shelling Russian positions. Had an eventful war being damaged a number of time but survived WW1 and in fact soldiered on into the early 1970's. Offered back to Germany but at that stage they didn't want anything resembling a war monument, so sadly scrapped.

Sadly, many extremely historical ships were scrapped rather than saved as memorial/museum ships. The USS Enterprise and USS Washington come to mind for me as prime examples.

Also, though the USS Oregon from the Span-Am war was "saved" (it was in the possession of the State of Oregon, moored at the city of Portland's waterfront), it was donated for scrap at the start of WW2 by the Governor of the State. It turned out that the decision was only a political and propaganda move, as only the upper works was removed. The main hull was still seaworthy, as it was towed out to the Pacific Theater of battle. The ship was used to store explosives that were needed in levelling coral and rock areas of atolls in order to construct airfields. Scrapped in Japan after the war, it was an inglorious end to "McKinley's Bulldog".

steveburt said:
I would have thought Italian and Austrian WW1 fleets would be of more general interest than Russian and Turkish. What fleet actions did the latter fight, if any?

there were a few actions in the black sea, I seem to recall, with a russian dreadnought shooting a few rounds at the Goeben before she withdrew. Most of the turkish fleet just sat around and got torpedoed by british subs during the dardenalles campaign i think.

not that the italians and austrians did much more - I have run a small map based version of the cruiser raid on the Otranto Barrage which is quite fun.

Its lead to some interesting ideas concerning the employment of the Austrian Fleet (especially if war had been declared sooner and the Moltke and Goeben had joined them), and some equally evil counter moves by the italians and french. But I guess they'll have to wait until summer when my opponent journeys back from uni!

BuShips said:
To be honest, the bulk of my reading was done many years ago. One of my treasured collections is of the entire History of United States Naval Operations in World War II by S.E. Morison, all fifteen volumes. I just reread Starship Troopers to get "reaquainted" with the original canon material and then polished off The Forever War. I'm swinging back currently into WW2 naval history with Clash of the Carriers.

Obviously it's a case of having too many interests and too little time, heh. :lol:

Starship troopers orginal cannon? As in guys in power armour dropping through the atmosphere, then landing on the bounce with jump jets triggering, firing tac nukes from y-racks, with hand flamers and assorted otehr weaponry, and maintaining half kilomerter intervals between troopers?

Sorry but the movie was an abombination, and the game , as it is, perpetuates the abombination. The old Avalon Hill Game is as much better recreation of the novel. The Mobile Infantry was mecha before mecha existed. The mongoose game might be a good game, but its not, for certain, Starship Troopers.

All of which is my humble opinion, and every one is entitled to it. Starship Troopers stands as the ultimate example of "de-cooling" an absolutely brilliant concept. My two cents. Rant over.

On a more topical note: The Austro-Hungarian Navy fought small fleet actions at Durazzo and Otranto. While they never engaged a full fleet actions as such, these were rare in this timeframe. I think however, the adriatic cruiser raids would make excellent small scale WWI actions. And Frankly a fleet action between the Italians and the Austrians would be every bit as dramatic as one between the Brits and Germans. Who has the ships to do Jutland, anyway? (Well I do, but not the space, even at 1:6000).

Ive got the space to do Jutland in 1/2400 scale in my garage, but thats an awfull lot of ships to throw down on the board, and my only opponent is my wife, im sure she would want to play the British Navy being as how her family hails from England and shes got this remarkable sense of wanting to be"The Good Guys" :p However much im into collecting and playing, im quite sure it would take me a long time to acquire the ships for a big fleet action like Jutland.

The Turkish and Russian fleets squared off against each other over the Black Sea several times, including the notable battle of Cape Sarych (which is one of the scenarios that has been worked up for AoD). The Russians also pioneered the use of offensive "carrier strike groups", causing severe damage to Turkish coastal traffic using seaplanes launched form seaplane carriers. The Black Sea is a fascinating "closed" area in which to mount campaigns but little is known about it in general wargaming circles - certainly an "opportuntiy missed.

In the Baltic the Russiand and Germans were involved in several fleet operations which has the potential to turn into interesting surface actions. There was also "Operation Albion" which makes an excellent mini campaign involving abttleships on both sides. Also, you know how the British were able to read the German naval codes (Room 40) and therefore stifle several German operations? A lot of that was down to codes salvaged by the Russians from the German cruiser Magdeburg (the code books were thrown over the side but recovered intact and passed to the British)

It was for these reasons (and the personal interests of the design team) that the Russians and Turks were worked up. The battleships of both sides certainly saw a lot more action than their Italan and Austrian counterparts.

Well, 'I'm doing my part' :roll: in trying to suggest a few ideas to add to the game that would throw a few bones to the canon SST fans. As it is, it's possible to just use the 'exosuits' on the MI side and get a bit more of a book-feel. In the novel as you know, the Bugs had technology and constructed ships and weapons. There are creative methods to shoe-horn this into the existing non-canon material. I do fully recognise that the film(s) have at least gotten the attention of new fans. Mongoose would most likely have never had Andy Chambers even write the rules had it not been for the 1997 film. I'll also give credit to Mongoose for a hard job of blending the material.

While not getting back to the topic here either (remember this was about Sumner and Gearing US DDs, lol), is there a way to historically put together a fight using the SMS Szent István and have it up against more than the MTBs which sank it so dramatically on film in 1918?

Soth said:
Ive got the space to do Jutland in 1/2400 scale in my garage, but thats an awfull lot of ships to throw down on the board, and my only opponent is my wife, im sure she would want to play the British Navy being as how her family hails from England and shes got this remarkable sense of wanting to be"The Good Guys" :p However much im into collecting and playing, im quite sure it would take me a long time to acquire the ships for a big fleet action like Jutland.

Well I have got the ships in 1/6000th scale! When the WWI version of VaS comes out, maybe we should have a SOTHCON in Utah! We'll need a few admirals, hower, as Jutland would be mind numbing without them.

At a minimum we would need four, but really four per side would be best!

Just kick me when I suggest a five part Leyte Gulf monster game.

And Bu Ships, with SST I'm not bashing mongoose really-they do a wonderful job, and I conceed that the movie opened the door to a broad fan base. But for me, the power suit was over half the point of the novel. The movie was a bit like doing "Midway" only we are replacing the aircraft carriers with outrigger canoes.

I am a big HH fan as well, and jack Aubrey, and Horatio Hornblower and...
well you get the point.

Back