Stunners overpowered?

DigitalMage said:
CosmicGamer said:
Next, an auto pistol has an auto rating of 4
I believe this is no longer the case - I noticed the change from my original printing and the latest PDF and pocket rulebooks. Only the Gauss pistol has an Auto rating now it seems.
This change is not on the Mongoose web site Player's Guide which is supposed to have the latest updates for the core rulebook.

DigitalMage said:
In summary, I don't think stunners are Uber weapons, just that they may possibly be more commonly chosen as a sidearm for PCs than may be expected due to their significant take down ability in close quarters fighting.
Which is a good point to make. Some people may have overlooked their usefulness.

Don't overlook the usefulness of the melee(unarmed) skill. A brawler can close from short distance to personal, grapple and disarm any weapon in one round. No weapons to get through security. No tech levels. No law levels. No cost. Nothing to conceal.

Don't forget to roll play too.

Would the military (Army and Marines) learn to use stunners?
Military folk tend to fight other military folk and carry higher damage weapons to be effective against opponents that are armored. Their weapons tend to be rifles that are usable at all combat ranges. They are trained in these weapons (chargen choice of gun combat skills) and skill with energy pistols would probably be less likely.

Navy personnel use guns in close quarters. Boarders of a military vessel would probably be armored (at least in vacc suits) and may be Star Marines so Navy personnel fending them off might be more likely to use a shotgun than a stunner. Perhaps they might use a stunner during customs inspections of merchants.

Rogue.
A gun that can do physical harm is more threatening than a stunner. If you go to rob a place with a stunner I doubt they will open the safe for you. It might be more useful than a knife or gun so that you can knock someone out and steel their wallet, but if you are steeling wallets you probably don't have the money for a stunner. I'm sure there are situations where it is applicable though.

Citizens, entertainers, nobility, scholars and merchants don't even have a gun skill available. For Drifter, only a scavenger can gain a gun skill.

An agent is a likely career where someone may learn to use a stunner.

Scouts are the Jacks of all trades and could learn just about anything.

CosmicGamer said:
This change is not on the Mongoose web site Player's Guide which is supposed to have the latest updates for the core rulebook.
Then it seems to be out of date as the PDF and the latest Pocket Core Rulebook I picked up at Continuum all show no Auto. You may need to prod someone :)

CosmicGamer said:
Don't overlook the usefulness of the melee(unarmed) skill. A brawler can close from short distance to personal, grapple and disarm any weapon in one round. No weapons to get through security. No tech levels. No law levels. No cost. Nothing to conceal.
A good point and also something that I saw happening in the same game (indeed the PC disarmed the security guard with the Stunner and then turned it on him :D )

And yes background reasons why a PC wouldn't use a stunner can also hopefully make the stunner seem less ubiquitous.

CosmicGamer said:
Navy personnel use guns in close quarters. Boarders of a military vessel would probably be armored (at least in vacc suits) and may be Star Marines so Navy personnel fending them off might be more likely to use a shotgun than a stunner. Perhaps they might use a stunner during customs inspections of merchants.

Excellent points in your post, but I will point out that shotguns are even less effective than stunners vs armour (unless using solid shot). Navy would normally be using low recoil weapons (lasers, stunners, acc rifles and snub pistols) - shotties aren't likely.

Back