Speed Crits

Taran

Mongoose
Quick question, since I can't find it in either the book or the FAQ:
Can you reduce a ship's speed to 0?
I was running a VCD versus a Ka'Bin'Tak and ran into the -4 speed crit against the Narn ship, and since its speed is 4...

Oh, and for you Ka'Bin'Tak supporters out there...
You better kill my Victory on the first pass or you're toast. It may take a while, but my VCD will CRUSH YOU!!! (Ahem.)

Triggy said:
If you reduce a ship's speed to 0 then it becomes adrift instead.
Do you have a reference for that? Otherwise I'd say that it becomes speed 0 but still has manouvering thrusters to turn, etc.

Taran said:
Quick question, since I can't find it in either the book or the FAQ:
Can you reduce a ship's speed to 0?
I was running a VCD versus a Ka'Bin'Tak and ran into the -4 speed crit against the Narn ship, and since its speed is 4...

Oh, and for you Ka'Bin'Tak supporters out there...
You better kill my Victory on the first pass or you're toast. It may take a while, but my VCD will CRUSH YOU!!! (Ahem.)

Anytime you feel like coming back here to Colorado My KA Bintak will Wipe The Floor with your Victory. Youre lucky I did not bring My beloved Narn and play last time you were here or you wouldnt have been able t play the ISA as The Minis Would have been too embarassed to come out of thier box.

:lol:

Triggy said:
Huh?? Where'd that come from?

When you reduce speed to 0, the ship's speed is 0 so it can't move and can't turn. It could still All Stop And Pivot though, I believe, on the 2nd turn of having speed 0.

Burger said:
Triggy said:

When you reduce speed to 0, the ship's speed is 0 so it can't move and can't turn. It could still All Stop And Pivot though, I believe, on the 2nd turn of having speed 0.
Do you have any reference for it not being able to turn though? Until I see something to that effect, I'm forced to conclude that such a ship can make a single turn (after moving half of its current speed of 0) without using any SA.

neko said:
Burger said:
Triggy said:

Do you have any reference for it not being able to turn though? Until I see something to that effect, I'm forced to conclude that such a ship can make a single turn (after moving half of its current speed of 0) without using any SA.
A ship must move half of its speed score before it can turn. Even if its speed score is 0, if it hasn't moved, then it doesn't fulfill the criteria.

Burger said:
A ship must move half of its speed score before it can turn. Even if its speed score is 0, if it hasn't moved, then it doesn't fulfill the criteria.
Half of 0 is 0. It can move 0 and then make a turn.

neko said:
Burger said:
neko said:
Half of 0 is 0. It can move 0 and then make a turn.
If it moves 0 then it has not moved.
By the same logic, if it only has to move 0 it doesn't need to move.
No, that is completely different logic. The rules state that it must move half of its speed. If it does not move, then how can it have moved half its speed?

Again sticking my neck out here.

A speed crit that stops a ship moving is unlikely to be exactly stopping the ship, looking at the reality we're trying to model rather than the game rules for a moment.

So the ship might have dropped 98% of it's speed from the damage, but would still be moving a very small amount, enough to use thrusters/gravitic drives or whatever to turn a little.

Burger said:
neko said:
Burger said:
If it moves 0 then it has not moved.
By the same logic, if it only has to move 0 it doesn't need to move.
No, that is completely different logic. The rules state that it must move half of its speed. If it does not move, then how can it have moved half its speed?
You're being completely inconsistant to try and have it both ways. The -4 speed crit does not stop the ship from moving - it only reduces it to moving at speed 0. To be able to turn, it must move half of its speed, so it must move 0 before it can turn. If you want to infer that moving 0 is the same as not moving, you must be consistant with that in both cases.

neko said:
The -4 speed crit does not stop the ship from moving - it only reduces it to moving at speed 0.
And you say I'm being inconsistent? You just contradicted yourself there! 4-4 = 0 = STOPPED FROM MOVING.

Thanks for the confirmation Bry ;)

dag'karlove said:
Anytime you feel like coming back here to Colorado My KA Bintak will Wipe The Floor with your Victory. Youre lucky I did not bring My beloved Narn and play last time you were here or you wouldnt have been able t play the ISA as The Minis Would have been too embarassed to come out of thier box.

:lol:

We might just get a chance in July...
I'd be very interested in playing against you.
We can do 1 on 1 VCD versus KBT and then a fleet battle of whatever size I have the minis to achieve...

Back