Space Stations

Norlion

Mongoose
I apologize in advance if this has already come up but, where are all the space stations?

Which systems have stations? What types? What corporations? What does Signet Station look like? New Kobe? Skywalker Base? There has to be a large number of space stations in the B5 universe yet we just barely have a sampling. I don't expect every station as that would be impossible. A couple here and there especially in major systems would be very nice.

Well, yes, it would be. As well as all the other things intrepid and mobile PC's might encounter in the various colored sun-shaped dots on the Mongoose map... from moonbases to asteroid hideouts, from jumpgates to shipyards, from minefields to comets... et cetera. I reall hope the guys at mongoose will make a supplement like that one day... "B5 Space Atlas" or something like that...

i think they might have one at the transfer point near Io, i don`t think they mentioned any others (which doesn`t exclude their existance).

there are both larger government space stations in systems and smaller corporate owned systems, especially as you get further away from earth, corporations need the small base for logistical support for their commercial activities. The Belt Alliance in particular has many small stations around.

Big Stations such as Babylon 5 and Orion are very large and expensive enterprises.

there are both larger government space stations in systems and smaller corporate owned systems, especially as you get further away from earth, corporations need the small base for logistical support for their commercial activities. The Belt Alliance in particular has many small stations around.

i already took that as a given, but i think we are after actual references as to numbers and locations of them.

or do we just make them up as needed? :wink:

The Major stations are not that common, there is Babylon 5 and I guess an Orion style base around the major colonies, like Orion, Proxima 3 etc, there could be others, but they would need a good reason to be built or building (perhaps and interesting campaign idea).

I would just use smaller space stations as needed, they are reasonably common in my opinion, especially as you get further out from Earth and the more developed EA colonies.

I could be remembering wrong, but during the Dilgar war didn't the EF come up with "Instant Starbases, Just add water?" I believe that was the line in the Earth Force Book.

I believe I remember reading that they built prefab bases in then transported them out, and had the functional in a matter of days. That way they could defend areas reclaimed, as well as strengthen supply lines.

However, If my memory continues to serve me, they left them behind, sold them to league worlds, or scrapped them after the war to keep because it wasn't financially possible to keep them all functional.

PsyJack

psyclonejack said:
I could be remembering wrong, but during the Dilgar war didn't the EF come up with "Instant Starbases, Just add water?" I believe that was the line in the Earth Force Book.

I believe I remember reading that they built prefab bases in then transported them out, and had the functional in a matter of days. That way they could defend areas reclaimed, as well as strengthen supply lines.

And they did. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the model. However, the time to complete them was actually closer to weeks, however, they could get the station assembled in a few days and were able to get minor functionality at that point. But that's much quicker then trying to build one from scratch.

psyclonejack said:
However, If my memory continues to serve me, they left them behind, sold them to league worlds, or scrapped them after the war to keep because it wasn't financially possible to keep them all functional.

PsyJack

It really wasn't that they were going to try and keep them functional, but it just wasn't worth their time to try and dissassemble them for shipment back to Earth Space. So what they didn't keep, they sold.

Actually, one of my campaign ideas has a significant member of the Belt Alliance working to build up a small hidden fleet base. This is prior to Clarke declaring martial law, but the BA member can smell the changes on the wind and is preparing for the worst. He has managed to get the pieces of one of these stations sequestered in an insignificant system away from common space lanes. He is going to try and establish a base of operations here as well as build up a resistance fleet. Not sure how I want to weave this into the main story line that has Sheridan and B5 at the center though. Maybe, they will take over after Ivanova gets wounded and Sheridan is killed in interrogation.

Hehe, my players are going to hate it when I turn their world upside down. :twisted:

This

From the series we've seen the station near the transfer point at Io, plus Station Prime (from which the Icarus departed) which is in Earth orbit.

And there's at least another that gets blown up "somewhere" during "In the Beginning".

All three are the same design.

Back