SOme ideas for non-Lengedary Abilities.

Nagisawa

Mongoose
One thing I REALLY like about the Conan D20 system was the feat-like combat maneuvers that anyone could do as long as they had the associated skills or attack bonuses, like Cat's Parry, and I'm thinking of throwing a few of them into the system as well as making some of the 'stronger' ones into full out Legendary Abilities.

Anyone think of doing the same?

Oh, and I'll post a few of them here in RQ terms.

Remember most of these are NOT Legendary manuevers...

First up:

Bull's Charge

Requirements: STR 13 or higher, 1h Sword, 2h Sword or Rapier at 75% or higher

Hero Points: Dunno, 5?

A low charge can get you under an enemy's guard, but it can also set you up for a nasty counter-attack.

Whenever making a charge attack you gain a 1d4 damage bonus on top of your base damage. However you provoke a free attack reaction from your target before you roll.

Next:

Cat's Parry

Requirements: STR 13 or Higher, any slashing weapon at 75% or higher (Swords and axes, mainly)

Hero Points: Does it need it? 4-5?

You strike at the limb holding the weapon, not the weapon itself...

You declare this before rolling for you Parry reaction, and instead parrying at the base, you gain a -20% penalty to strike at the opponents weapon limb.

If you inflict a Minor Wound, it is converted to a Major Injury that severs the weapon limb.

Whaddaya think? They work? I'll get one translating a few more later.[/b]

I've had other threads regarding heroic advantages. I've decided to use that term as an all encompassing term including Legendary Abilities, Expert Abilities, and Character Creation Advantages. When I get organized, I'll be posting my ideas to the Runequest Wiki.

One thing I was thinking today (when I saw a commercial for foreign language learning software) was making Skill Talent an advantage that can be taken at character creation, or afterward to represent discovering a skill that you have talent for. The reason this commercial prompted my thinking was my own memories about how much easier it was for me to learn Language (Spanish) that it was to learn Language (German). It was as if I was consistently getting higher rolls on my improvement rolls to learn Spanish.

My concept is to roll a better die when you determine how much your skill improves on a successful Improvement roll. I plan to houserule that the normal die is 1D6 (because I don't like d4s), so Skill Talent would grant 1D8 or 1D10. Without my houserule, Skill Talent might grant 1D6 or 1D8.

Note that Skill Talent only applies to a specific skill (and its specializations, but that's another thread). So Skill Talent (Spanish) does not help to learn Skill Talent (German).

I'm very much against making tactics that any competent person should be able to attempt 'special' inthat you have to spend points specialy to get it. If anyone should be able to attempt it, and you're going to cover it in the rules then, well, let them attempt it. Stopping them just isn't IMHO the RuineQuest way of doing things.

Legendary abilities are specificaly things that ordinary people have practicaly no chance of even trying to do. Hence 'Legendary' and as a matter of principle I'm personaly against the idea of watering them down to, say, 5 point abilities for mundane tactics.

simonh said:
I'm very much against making tactics that any competent person should be able to attempt 'special' inthat you have to spend points specialy to get it. If anyone should be able to attempt it, and you're going to cover it in the rules then, well, let them attempt it. Stopping them just isn't IMHO the RuineQuest way of doing things.

Hear, hear.

If one goes into the trouble of putting more tactical choises into the game, they should be balanced choises that anybody can attempt.

Things like GURPS has. All out attack (for hit chanse or damage), all out defense, feint and the like.

simonh said:

Legendary abilities are specificaly things that ordinary people have practicaly no chance of even trying to do. Hence 'Legendary' and as a matter of principle I'm personaly against the idea of watering them down to, say, 5 point abilities for mundane tactics.

I agree with you wholeheartedly but with the caveat the system should provide an elegant way to simulate these mundane tactics beyond simple combinations of move and attack backed up by a narrative.

Nagisawa said:
Bull's Charge

Requirements: STR 13 or higher, 1h Sword, 2h Sword or Rapier at 75% or higher

Hero Points: Dunno, 5?

A low charge can get you under an enemy's guard, but it can also set you up for a nasty counter-attack.

Whenever making a charge attack you gain a 1d4 damage bonus on top of your base damage. However you provoke a free attack reaction from your target before you roll.

Hmm. I think I'll just make a normal Charge as written in the rules. Same Damage Bonus, no requirements, no hero point cost, and no free attack on me.

Again, I wasn't sure on the point cost, also, Rurik? That's an EXTRA d4 (May increase it to d6) on top of a basic charge...

I was thinking of not giving a point cost, because I agree with that everyone should be able to do them...

I was just afraid they's be over powering... Is all.

Working on figuring out the rest...

One of the threads about implementing rules for machine guns in Runequest made me think of this.

According to the rules (and common sense) anybody can "Dive for Cover". The MRQ rulebook has nicely specific rules for diving for cover and the benefits and penalties that apply.

However, I remember from reading and movies and talking to people that an essential part of boot camp is learning how to dive for cover. It's not just a matter of picking up extra points in Dodge, but is specific training in going down immediately and making sure your ass doesn't get shot off as you crawl forward. (Instinct will have a person crawling on his elbows and knees, and apparently you do not want to be doing that when people are shooting at you.)

Other threads have described specialization rules that can easily support an advanced specialization skill Dodge (Dive for Cover). However, if you're not using specializations, perhaps a non-legendary ability can be bought for a couple of hero points to represent military training (or made as part of a military profession, to avoid questions of "legendariness" of this advantage -- although IMHO that makes the military professions too much like D&D classes).

Requirements for "Improved Dive For Cover" could be 50% Dodge. Cost can be 2 Hero Points. Benefit can be a +20% bonus to Dodge when specifically using the Dive For Cover manuever, and subtracting (DEX/5) points of damage taken on a successful Dodge roll (so instead of talking half damage, the character takes half-damage minus 3 points if his DEX is 15).

I wouldn't make a Dive for Cover skill unless using specialization rules (which someday I'll put on the Runequest Wiki). It is covered by Dodge, but this is just something that helps in a specific situation.

wartorn said:
I agree with you wholeheartedly but with the caveat the system should provide an elegant way to simulate these mundane tactics beyond simple combinations of move and attack backed up by a narrative.

One way might be to require additional skill rolls for some manoeuvers, such as having to make an appropriate Athletics skill roll as well as a weapon skill roll - either roll failing means you blew it. Perhaps extension or modification of the Precise Attack rules.

The Elric game ( and rpesumably Storm Bringer 5th Edition, though I haven't seen it) has a whole section of rules for special manouevers and tactics.

One way might be to require additional skill rolls for some manoeuvers, such as having to make an appropriate Athletics skill roll as well as a weapon skill roll - either roll failing means you blew it. Perhaps extension or modification of the Precise Attack rules.
Sounds like a sound idea, express the maneuvers in terms of existing skills;
Be cool to ignore min skill levels - allow any one to try the action.

Cats Parry
Strike at the attacking limb, which has the added advantage of blocking the strike. if successful.
Make it combine a defensive and attacking action (two actions) and a penalty -40% (precise attack).
If under attack (taking to account -40%) the attack strikes the limb also and parries the blow.
Damage as normal.

Duck and Dive
Roll under lowest of half (Dodge or Athletics) to avoid all incoming projectile missiles, the subsequent round those firing at you must make adequate perception rolls to determine your location before they may once again fire.

Not very good I admit, but they kind of using existing mechnics with out adding extra traits. The kind of thing any one can use at any time.

But I do like the idea of having a list of optional combat actions,
helps player get in to the feel of things.
Not sure about automatic limb loss though - best remember if a player can use it so can an opponent.

Back