Solomani Confederation (Military)

Condottiere said:
You don't actually need to construct breakaway hulls, to modularize.

Also, if you podularize, the same applies.

In My designs I used 2 - Type V docking clamps on the cargo module. The "Tractor Ships" are each less than 2,000-Dtons. That is how I got around the breakaway ship thing. I build them as separate ships instead of one ship that breaks into 3. The largest part of the cargo module, apart from the cargo and the 2 docking clamps, is the power plant to provide power for the entire 10,000-Dton cargo module. It is still hauling around 9,600 tons of just cargo.

Transfer of energy would require a separate connection, of which I don't recall any in the current edition.

I do think there was one breaching tube that did allow powering up a boarded ship, but don't recall where I read that.

Condottiere said:
Transfer of energy would require a separate connection, of which I don't recall any in the current edition.

I do think there was one breaching tube that did allow powering up a boarded ship, but don't recall where I read that.

Why would a power transfer be required? All 3 sections have their own individual power plant.

In theory, it doesn't.

In practice, it's pooled.

8dK.gif

Analyzing current events, what you want mothballed would be something relatively cheap but effective, that's relatively idiot proof and easy to operate.

Your trained reserves might not be idiots, but it's possible that you might want to lend out the ships to friends and allies.

Condottiere said:
Analyzing current events, what you want mothballed would be something relatively cheap but effective, that's relatively idiot proof and easy to operate.

Your trained reserves might not be idiots, but it's possible that you might want to lend out the ships to friends and allies.

It takes like 2 weeks to learn a skill at level 0, so aren't most things in Traveller already idiot-proof? lol.

Condottiere said:
There's more to warfare than just point and click.

Familiarization with the equipment.

In real life, of course. In Traveller, not so much, as long as the equipment is within a Tech Level or two of your Traveller's TL and not designed for a different race.

I was under the impression that the Ukrainians could easily obtain ammunition from the East Europeans.

Well, maybe Kalashnikov, but not large calibre gun and howitzer ammunition, one reason, besides increased range, they insisted on NATO standard artillery.

So basically, the platform may look different, but the innards should be standardized, to simplify logistics.

Condottiere said:
I was under the impression that the Ukrainians could easily obtain ammunition from the East Europeans.

Well, maybe Kalashnikov, but not large calibre gun and howitzer ammunition, one reason, besides increased range, they insisted on NATO standard artillery.

So basically, the platform may look different, but the innards should be standardized, to simplify logistics.

Agreed, but without a mind-bogglingly complicated logistics tracking system, I just go with if it's close in Tech Level and made for humans, then they are good. I don't want to have to track down spare parts specifically for a YT-1300 in every Starport I come to...lol... I just use generic parts of the same TL for ships.

It's actually one reason that I believe alphabet drive ecosystem exists, if only in the Imperium.

And that the Confederation is promoting their own range, suited to their needs and those of their member worlds.

Condottiere said:
It's actually one reason that I believe alphabet drive ecosystem exists, if only in the Imperium.

And that the Confederation is promoting their own range, suited to their needs and those of their member worlds.

That would make sense

Condottiere said:
It's the reason the Vargr raid the Imperium, to get hold of standard electronics and machines.

Besides the washing ones.

I thought they raided for glory and because raiding is way easier than actually building something yourself. Just ask the Oghmans...lol...They raid for people who know how to build them stuff...lol...

Part of it would be psychological, since it doesn't seem possible that they ran out of resources on their side of the fence.

Also, I tend to think that their mechanics and engineers have a natural talent in dealing with technology.

Like Mekboyz.

Condottiere said:
Part of it would be psychological, since it doesn't seem possible that they ran out of resources on their side of the fence.

Also, I tend to think that their mechanics and engineers have a natural talent in dealing with technology.

Like Mekboyz.

lolz at Mekboyz

I like that particular explanation, since it allows a lot of non standard hardware, that the Vargr just figure out how to make work; more mundanely, if it's just a question of getting a part from a different model or maker to work in a different engine.

Back