Solomani Confederation (Military)

Condottiere said:
I like that particular explanation, since it allows a lot of non standard hardware, that the Vargr just figure out how to make work; more mundanely, if it's just a question of getting a part from a different model or maker to work in a different engine.

Hell, today We can't even use a Samsung phone charger on an iPhone, so I have no idea how that would realistically work, but it would make the game unmanageable to not make things at least mostly interchangeable. My guess is that, that is why We collectively hand-waive that part of the economic model.

MasterGwydion said:
Hell, today We can't even use a Samsung phone charger on an iPhone, so I have no idea how that would realistically work, but it would make the game unmanageable to not make things at least mostly interchangeable.

That may be changing for the EU, they are working on a common charging port for mobile phones, tablets and headphones.

AndrewW said:
MasterGwydion said:
Hell, today We can't even use a Samsung phone charger on an iPhone, so I have no idea how that would realistically work, but it would make the game unmanageable to not make things at least mostly interchangeable.

That may be changing for the EU, they are working on a common charging port for mobile phones, tablets and headphones.

Yeah, but now multiply that across every inhabited planet in Charted Space, accounting for differing cultures, species, sub-species, and tribal variation, not to mention entirely different mathematical systems. Imagine trying to connect to computer systems travelling from world to world. Our computers can barely talk to each other on this planet and all of Our computers are built on the same scientific principles. That may not hold true for most other cultures. The more isolated the world is, the more likely that it's technology will be different to the point of incompatibility.

Just My take on it anyhow... :p

Chances are that the Vilani had a Standard Template Construct analogue, and a pretty good chance that the Imperium resurrected it.

Th reason the Confederation is likely to have their own Universal set of standards is to build a firewall between it and the Imperium, possibly trying to make theirs more efficient.

Condottiere said:
Chances are that the Vilani had a Standard Template Construct analogue, and a pretty good chance that the Imperium resurrected it.

Th reason the Confederation is likely to have their own Universal set of standards is to build a firewall between it and the Imperium, possibly trying to make theirs more efficient.

Solomani Humans can't even agree on a system of measurement. I seriously doubt that they could implement a system of standardization...lol... In the OTU, the very concept of time perception changes from planet to planet. What is an hour? A year? A day? How is time measured? Do your electronic devices automatically change to reflect that on this planet an hour is 12 minutes long and a day lasts just less than 5 hours? How do people from different planets communicate such simple and yet fundamental concepts such as, "What is a week?" Within the 3I, there is no division of time, that is a "week". How are ships scheduled on trade routes? How do they communicate, what day they are expecting to return to this planet in a regularly scheduled trade route? The only common frame of reference is the length of time a jump takes, but this is a variable, not a constant, so can't be used as the basis for a measurement of time.

Condottiere said:
Interoperability.

Of course, energy tends to be non discriminatory, but the laser gun parts may be proprietary.

Energy yes, even if parts are not proprietary, they still are not likely to be designed to be universal. Almost every 9mm handgun uses the same bullets, but the parts are not interchangeable, nor are the clips. Just as an example.

Depends on the definition of clip, since I believe it was ShadowRun that may have created that confusion.

Alliances and arms manufacturers may have compatible ammunition and magazines, for families of firearms; for alliances, so that they just can send what's required, while for manufacturers, it could be that they just want to specialize in one aspect of their industry.

One famous example is using pistol ammunition for carbines and submachine guns, and by extension, using the same pistol magazine for (modern) carbines; I don't think you could jam a thirty two round submachine gun magazine up a pistol's butt, but you probably could do that for a submachinegun with an extended pistol magazine.

Condottiere said:
Depends on the definition of clip, since I believe it was ShadowRun that may have created that confusion.

Alliances and arms manufacturers may have compatible ammunition and magazines, for families of firearms; for alliances, so that they just can send what's required, while for manufacturers, it could be that they just want to specialize in one aspect of their industry.

One famous example is using pistol ammunition for carbines and submachine guns, and by extension, using the same pistol magazine for (modern) carbines; I don't think you could jam a thirty two round submachine gun magazine up a pistol's butt, but you probably could do that for a submachinegun with an extended pistol magazine.

If it fits in one, it will fit in the other, but for the most part, parts are not compatible. A clip for an M1911, won't fit a Ruger .45, even though in Traveller, they are considered the same gun.

Try putting a couple of AAA batteries in a AA...

yup, energy is energy, not.

How about getting an 18V Bosch battery or two to power your 36V leaf blower.

Or how about this - how many 9mm cartridges are there - go to you gun store or an online directory and look. How many magazines for different 9mm guns, and I haven't even brought up bullet sizes yet.

The Imperium requires a standard, to be a member of the Imperium your ammo must be this, your magazine must be this, your power supply must be this.

The Confederacy would require the same, although individual polities within the Confederacy may have their own standards - gets messy real quickly.

Sigtrygg said:
Try putting a couple of AAA batteries in a AA...

yup, energy is energy, not.

How about getting an 18V Bosch battery or two to power your 36V leaf blower.

Or how about this - how many 9mm cartridges are there - go to you gun store or an online directory and look. How many magazines for different 9mm guns, and I haven't even brought up bullet sizes yet.

The Imperium requires a standard, to be a member of the Imperium your ammo must be this, your magazine must be this, your power supply must be this.

The Confederacy would require the same, although individual polities within the Confederacy may have their own standards - gets messy real quickly.

I am not aware of any power types in MgT2 other than Power Points, so unless I am missing something, energy is energy. I agree that there is some standardization within the 3I. Their military uses the Imperial Standard Catalog Number. It is also used by many of the 3I civilian agencies as well, such as the SPA. It is not used by everyone in the 3I. I am sure that the Solomani have something similar, although I do not know what it is. The Aslan have nothing like standardization except perhaps among clans and their vassals. The Zhodani are fairly controlled, so I am guessing that they have some sort of standards as well. Hivers, K'kree, and Vargr are outside of My realm of knowledge at this time.

Here is the Imperial Standard Catalog Number info

https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Imperial_Standard_Catalog_Number

Compatible plug.

As regards bullets, while the calibre could be exactly the same, the warhead might vary in effect; however, in our case, what matters is the power of the propellant, since guns are usually optimized around that: slow burning, fast burning, extra large.

So the military tries to standardize bullets and magazines, so that any branch of the military, or militaries, can fit that into the firearms that they have, which also tends to work out for civilian customers.

The Confederation is actively assisting building up local Home Guard and planetary defence militias, so they would have some influence in the standards adopted, and economies of scale probably would tip that to default designs, especially since they ant to integrate in greater or lesser extent with the Army and Navy.

This reminds me of the old Han Solo novel (Treasure of the Mad Pirate Xim?....) where Han finally makes the big score, shipping containers full of treasure! Only to realize it's all doodads from several tech levels ago and is basically worthless today. ISTR also an episode of Little House on the Prairie where they find an old chest full of cash - but it's (worthless) Confederate money.

There's some adventure potential in non-standardization across the stars. "Finally! Supplies and ammo have arrived!" "Oh crap, the bullets don't fit our guns!"

But from a gaming point of view I love me some standardization. Hard to imagine interstellar trade without it.

Or maybe "Freight" is just all power adapters and linkage apparati.

NOLATrav said:
This reminds me of the old Han Solo novel (Treasure of the Mad Pirate Xim?....) where Han finally makes the big score, shipping containers full of treasure! Only to realize it's all doodads from several tech levels ago and is basically worthless today. ISTR also an episode of Little House on the Prairie where they find an old chest full of cash - but it's (worthless) Confederate money.

Han Solo and the Lost Legacy.

Has there ever been an occurrence, where someone realizes that their missiles and sand canisters don't fit into their starship's launchers?

maxresdefault.jpg

UNSC Firebases - Lore and Theory

In this episode: We take a closer look at the UNSC Firebase and its modules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_9xIOvEAqk

1. I like to think that the Confederation Army sets up these types of forward and fire bases.

2. As opposed to that in Starship Troopers.

3. Carryalls seem useful, even though that's a different franchise.

MasterGwydion said:
Condottiere said:
Part of it would be psychological, since it doesn't seem possible that they ran out of resources on their side of the fence.

Also, I tend to think that their mechanics and engineers have a natural talent in dealing with technology.

Like Mekboyz.

lolz at Mekboyz

mekboyz are supa!

Confederation Navy: Terminology

Dropship - actually smallcraft, battle taxi

Assault shuttle - combat smallcraft, heavily armed and armoured, designed to ferry ground forces to and through hostile environments

Carryall - spacecraft that has external cargo, principally attached to a docking clamp

Confederation Navy: Torpedo/Missile Doctrine

1. Dependent on the forces engaged.

2. In theory, the Confederation starwarships could use combination torpedo/missile launcher; in practice, I can't really figure out how it works.

3. Attack starwarships would be one tonne below the two kilotonne threshold for the minus two modifier for torpedo targetting attacks.

4. Enemy vessels of at least two kilotonnes would be engaged at long distance, and are at a disadvantage in firing back their own torpedo salvos.

5. Advanced torpedoes would be used, negating any technological shortcomings of the attack starwarships, and having an immediate effect.

6. The commander is allowed to launch at very long (two rounds) and distant (seven turns) ranges.

7. Multiple launches could be combined and adjusted so that all the salvos arrive at the same time.

8. Standard torpedoes are used more as probing attacks.

9. Or, to save money.

Confederation Navy: Torpedo/Missile Doctrine

10. Which leaves us with the rest of the acceleration ten variants.

11. These should be launched as the attack starwarship flips between long and very long ranches.

12. That ensures that time to target is one round.

13. Anti radiation is to ensure hits on the enemy vessels who haven't switched off their radars.

14. In theory, should be faster than ten accelerations.

15. Plasma is to punch through armour, and inflict some real damage.

16, The electro magnetic pulse should preferably knock out propulsion.

17, Which would make it a sitting duck for an ortillery torpedo or missile.

18, Which another starwarship should release at medium, preferably short range.

19, Like a dive bomber.

Back