So, what the hell IS it?

Hi

Been away a little while. A quick look shows me that this new approach to Conan is still a mystery.

Its not, it seems, a new edition, its not a MRQ version or a 4th ed, or a Pathfinder version. But it IS something that people will love, its an improvement and its just something...special.

So, what the hell IS it?

I can only think of all the books going colour/hardback, with an option to trade in your B&W versions for a little upgrade price. Now, that would be cool. It would probably finish Mongoose off finanically though, so its maybe not that. I suppose it could be limited editions of the rulebook and RTTROK. I was thinking previously that the Paranoia limited edition was like a dry run test for a Conan version. If Paranoia is anything to go by though, it wasnt a raging success.

So, what the hell IS it?

We do not know yet. When the cold wind blows (November) the mighty sage (Matt) will descend from the mountain and reveal (State of Mongoose) the lost scroll of Skelos (announce the Conan RPG changes and new publishing schedule.)

zozotroll said:
And the masses (us) will chant "we waited just to hear this?"

I am so prepared to be underwhelmed by it.

Well come on now. Mongoose hasnt really f'ed up before now, have they? Theyve done Conan right so far, IMHO.

Its somewhat irritating, this wait, but come on. As a RPG fan, you cant even pretend you havent experienced a thousand times worse crap than this with other companies.

Oh I have indeed had worse than this. the question is, how many of those do you still buy from? I am not ready to bail on the Goose just yet, but I certainly put my plan to get most of the books on hold until I find out what the big deal is.

Of course the money of a single person either way does not matter to a company, but I bet I am not the only one that has done this. So in the long run, does this help or hurt more? Only time will tell.

zozotroll wrote:
the question is, how many of those do you still buy from? I am not ready to bail on the Goose just yet, but I certainly put my plan to get most of the books on hold until I find out what the big deal is.
I don't care. I already have all the books so far... :wink:

You know, in my short time away from these boards Ive played a bit more Conan. Ive always been a RQ sort of guy, but, I must say, with a little practice, my Conan campaign has been running like a dream. Its really growing on me. Im getting to like the combat options, the classes, etc.. So far though, sorcery has been purely the domain of NPCs. I think it works well that way.

Maybe the 2nd edition had a lot to live up to in comparison to the 1st ed too. All in all, the quality seems to have been maintained, with perhaps one or two supplements not delivering the goods. Looking at the Warriors Companion, it seems a bit too stretched and thin to be a classic. Maybe the other books on the schedule were of a similar quality to WC, thats why they were pulled?

WC is one that was on my list. Now it is wait and see.

Of course, I dont actualy need anything else, I have more than enough to play for a very long time. But still it would be nice if they would put out......

Ive held off buying Catacombs. But more I wait, the more pointless it seems in not buying.

Funny, I dont think the wait is putting off anyone really. The more Ive gotten from Mongoose, the more I appreciate their products.

I had a little phase of Savage Worlds. Its ok, but its actually not that straight forward, theres a lot more convoluted crunch to it than you first suppose, and there are real problems in the rapaid experience system. If you take into account that you buy the Explorers ed., and the Fantasy Companion as a minimum, thats around £20 for the equivalent of about 150 A4 pages of content. Its not cheap. And its far from complete.

As a comparison, the Conan rulebook is enormous, contains a solid ruleset, full magic system and background for around the same price. And you get tities as a bonus! Actually, those border pics are embarrassingly goofy, but I can live with them.

So Ive grown to love the Conan rpg, as well as appreciate Mongooses version RQ more. I may even start thinking about Traveller again.

FOr me, Ruins is awesome, Catacombs is pretty good. But that is in large part based on the way I GM. Citys is on the list because I love city books with maps.

zozotroll said:
FOr me, Ruins is awesome, Catacombs is pretty good. But that is in large part based on the way I GM. Citys is on the list because I love city books with maps.

Well, maps aint always gonna happen in a Mongoose book.

PrinceYyrkoon said:
zozotroll said:

Well, maps aint always gonna happen in a Mongoose book.

That would be the surprise: a 250+ page book , full of maps for all previous titles and of course completly free so that we can forgive them for their lack of maps in those last years...

:)

W.

Cities of Hyboria doesn't propose any maps. It's not like it's really a surprise, isn't it? Anyway I like Cities better than Catacombs, which fail somewhat to capture the mood of the Hyborian Age. Like this inverted pyramid reeking with magical energies with a backstory where the gods interact directly with the mortal world. It feels more like Forgotten Realms than Conan...

Ruins remains my favourite of the three, containing places described in the novels (or pastiches) and with COLOR MAPS!!!

I have it! They forgot to assign anything to anybody and instead of admiting it, they go all mysterious to cover it up. :D

Back