So what about the other (less used) ships...

Abraxas

Mongoose
Well, I was going through the (tourny) Centarui fleet list and I came a cross the Altarian. I also came across the Morgath as well as the Sucundus.

All these ships don't look particulary bad (stat wise)... but never seem to make it into fleet lists. I can understand why, especially when you have Centaurians, Dargans, Primus' and Vorchans to choose from... but has anyone used these ships?

This thread doesn't just pertain to Centauri ships. I am sure the Earth fleet has a host of ships that don't see much action...

So please, ask the members of this forum about the ships that you haven't used. If your lucky, maybe someone else has.

If anyone asks about a ship you used, then by all means, give us your experiences.

Thanks.

Hash used 2 Altarians in the ITF2 tourney. He came joint 3rd. They were a pretty good against ships jumping in behind him, since both sides could keep 2 FAP in hyperspace at that touney.

For me, Trolligan is the most useless ship ever invented. It is outclassed totally by the Veshatan, which is very similar but with double the AD on the main beam. I haven't even painted mine yet, since I'm not planning to ever use them. Shame, they're quite a nice model.

Paint them and use them to count as Veshtans. :) Personally I never liked the Neshtan/Veshtan models much. They never seemed to gel with the rest of the Minbari fleet.

Yeah its really disturbing that the Minbari have ships that look like something that doesnt belong in a fish tank :lol:

Burger said:
Hash used 2 Altarians in the ITF2 tourney. He came joint 3rd. They were a pretty good against ships jumping in behind him, since both sides could keep 2 FAP in hyperspace at that touney.

That makes sence... and the Hull 6 looks nice. Plus, 6 AD matter cannons are nothing to scoff at. Add in some fighter support as well as the versatility of an rear-ended matter cannon... and the Altarian seems like a decent support ship, at least, if not a full blown attack ship.

It looks like it could secure objectives well with such a wide arcs on it's matter cannons. So, now why do people not use them? Is the Dargan and Covran that more lurring?

Burger said:
For me, Trolligan is the most useless ship ever invented. It is outclassed totally by the Veshatan, which is very similar but with double the AD on the main beam. I haven't even painted mine yet, since I'm not planning to ever use them. Shame, they're quite a nice model.

Well, the Troligan certaintly doesn't deserve to be "Battle", thats for sure. I can't see why you would take one and be aware of the reason you did...

I don't rate the Altarian much because of the short range of its weapons. A Centurion has a similar load of twin arrays and matter cannons but also has a longer-ranged battle laser. admittedly hull 6 is nice but spending a turn or two not being able to fire is a bit rough on the Altarian.

Now, the Elutarian and Magnus variants are much nicer. Those I'd use.

Guardhawk from the Drazi list. No idea why this thing exists. Too weak at hull 4 14 damage/16 crew to survive and has all of 6 AD AF Weak at range 4 to do its main job of protecting other ships. Oh it does have 2 AD TW at range 12 as well. The thing needs it's anti-fighter weapons to be at least range 6 so it can cover the ships next to it.

Ripple

I actually think the Brokados, as a Batleship as poor , it has hull 5, minimal weaponry, and is a carrier with only 4 flights. It's little better than the Narn T'Rann, for a while priority more. yes I know it has command and interceptors and a carrier trait, none of which are really all that useful to it. It deserves some more fighters to make it a true carrier, or a weapons upgrade to make it a battleship. Other than that, I have fielded every ship from my three fleets, admitedly some more than others, from the Narn, Brakiri and Drakh, the Brokados is probably the weakest ship for what it's supposed to be, in my opinion.

Lord David the Denied said:
I don't rate the Altarian much because of the short range of its weapons. A Centurion has a similar load of twin arrays and matter cannons but also has a longer-ranged battle laser. admittedly hull 6 is nice but spending a turn or two not being able to fire is a bit rough on the Altarian.

Yeah, I found that attitude quite common amongst the Centauri players I met...they all assumed that the Altarians I had were the Elutarian variant...I kind of like 'em the way they are, they have all round firepower which is missing on most other Centarui ships. They have obviously never played games against the insidous "jump behind you" with nasty ship tactics employed by Reaverman and Burger!

Still...it wasn't much use against another Centauri player - his FOUR (squadroned of course) Prefects tore my poor fanheads apart!...still I took two myself so at least I know now what my opponents felt playing me :(

or the frazis up your ass tactic employed by me. . . .when I remember to move them...

Hash said:
Lord David the Denied said:

Yeah, I found that attitude quite common amongst the Centauri players I met...they all assumed that the Altarians I had were the Elutarian variant...I kind of like 'em the way they are, they have all round firepower which is missing on most other Centarui ships. They have obviously never played games against the insidous "jump behind you" with nasty ship tactics employed by Reaverman and Burger!

Still...it wasn't much use against another Centauri player - his FOUR (squadroned of course) Prefects tore my poor fanheads apart!...still I took two myself so at least I know now what my opponents felt playing me :(

I dont JP Bomb....I just appear at your back garden, knocking on your door with my Beam weapons ;)

I hate frazis...miserable jumped up marsupials...should be taught a lesson in manners!

Reaverman said:
I dont JP Bomb....I just appear at your back garden, knocking on your door with my Beam weapons Wink

Never said you did! You just tend to jump a few Ka'Tans on the rear end that's all!

It's not the Narn's fault that the Centauri have great big guns and great big bombs and great big....um.....stuff.

The only truly useless ship in the SFoS EA fleet is the Orestes; everything else has some sort of tactial window- pretty narrow in some cases, Hyperion Missile and Assault I'm looking at you- that it can be used in and useful for. OK, maybe also the Hyperion Command and Omega Command.
With Armageddon, the fleet acquires at least two white elephants, maybe more.
And yes, it is the Narn's fault. Two of the main Narn signature weapons and their standard tertiary are based on Centauri technology. Maybe they should have waited a bit longer before starting the revolution?

Back