slaine new god Taranis

toothill man

Mongoose
the celts belived that the weather was a manifestion of the supernatural powers of their gods,Taranis was their thunder god and the cult was described as being very cruel by the romans that faced them.depicted by a warrior holding a lighting bolt.

toothill man said:
the celts belived that the weather was a manifestion of the supernatural powers of their gods,Taranis was their thunder god and the cult was described as being very cruel by the romans that faced them.depicted by a warrior holding a lighting bolt.

That was just what the Romans called him.

The Celts called him Lug of the Long Arm...

the problem with giving everything to lug is I want smaller gods and there cults too act as foils for the party.At the moment linking the SGharpies to this as well too get a cult with real bite :twisted: the comics state that all but one of the gods and goddesses betrayed her and Taranis fits the bill as well as others

also whant some non-celtic sounding gods and goddesses to act as foils too the celtic canon maybe getting lug involved against this new upstart or maybe he stole his area and Taranis wants it back 8)

I like this very interesting. Not only that but minor gods would be plotting and causing some chess-like strategy under the major gods noses. I like what I see here!

every tribe had many house and clan gods as well as host of minor gods all wanting too be major gods just like the tribes on earth so there is a never ending dance of power plays and backing the right tribe and persons to enhance there status among there peers

No, this information is wrong.

Lug was a sun god, not a lightning god.

Taranis was Celtic, but the word Taranis was a Romanization.
The Irish had Saint Torann.
(The Germanics had Thor)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taranis

Matt Sharp said:
toothill man said:

That was just what the Romans called him.

The Celts called him Lug of the Long Arm...

Yeah, I personally think that the Moon Sow campaign focused too much on the Horned God.
You can tell that the writers of the comic Slaine are Wiccans too.
(Maybe if they had some Celtic Scholars involved, there would be more variation in the religion portrayed)
I would have liked to see more of a Pantheon than focusing on Cernunus and Danu.

toothill man said:
every tribe had many house and clan gods as well as host of minor gods all wanting too be major gods just like the tribes on earth so there is a never ending dance of power plays and backing the right tribe and persons to enhance there status among there peers

I think the name UKKO is associated with the Finnish God od Weather as well.

I know that isn't exactly Celtic, but it's the name of his dwarfish companion.

On that note I like to offer my advice that I think the resource material for the game should be based purely on the comic and less on generic Celtic mythology.

Barring that, atleast where they converge the most.

Otherwise this might as well be Runequest, World of Celts or something like that.

Taranis, I don't I beleive I have ever read of this the word in any of strips, barring the last one, which I haven't seen yet.

Thats just off the top of my head.

There was a procession of the Celtic patheon right at the end of Spoils of Annyn.

Otherwise, the name Taranis just doesn't seem right .

It does sound Romanised.

Thats weird.

I just found the name of that god in the Celtic Campiagn Source book for second edition AD&D.

More of a Gaulish god and not as prominent as his Roman and Greek counterparts. His emblem is the Wheel. and he was shown to be riding on horseback crushing some monstrous foe underhoof.

Still doesn't soud right, but I'm no real expert inb this area either.

Good to be reading you back here Toothill, thought you must have walked off the world's edge for a while there.

battleaxe said:
Yeah, I personally think that the Moon Sow campaign focused too much on the Horned God.
You can tell that the writers of the comic Slaine are Wiccans too.
(Maybe if they had some Celtic Scholars involved, there would be more variation in the religion portrayed)
I would have liked to see more of a Pantheon than focusing on Cernunus and Danu.

I agree that the whole campaign (indeed, the whole setting) would be better served by drawing more heavily on real world mythic/legendary elements, rather than the hodge-podge of pseudo Celtic, Gaulish, Anglo-British, Norse and Saxon trappings presented. Now, to be faur, I am no fan of the comics, was not even aware of them until I purchased the d20 Slaine RPG many years ago, now, and will, no doubt be branded a Philistine and ignoramus.

Be that as it may, I've finally decided to tackle the Horned God/Moon Sow campaign, but not without significant revisions to the setting and story. In MY Pseudo-Celtic game, the Tribes of the Earth Goddess are actually descendants of the Milesians, who conquered the Tuatha de Danaan and drove them to Tir nan Og. Fomorians still raid occasionally from Tory Island and Lochlann, the Fir-bolg cling precariously to their diminishing holdings in western Eriu, and a wave of new migration from Gaul threatens the fine balance that exists among the Earth-Goddess tribes. There is no Midgard, instead there are wild savages in far-off Germania (for want of a better name), there are no flying coracles, no phogors. Titans (Giants) exist in Albion, but their numbers are dwindling.

Now, the campaign may prove too mundane to sustain, and I may well end up reitroducing some of the comics' elements, in which case I'll dine heartily on humble pie.

Standing-Stone said:
I think the name UKKO is associated with the Finnish God od Weather as well.
Ukko was a chief god in Finnish mythology. But yes, it is also connected to weather in a way that we still have this "ukonilma" which means "Ukko's weather" and more directly translation of thunderstorm.

Back