Ship's Locker: Out of the Closet

The ammunition appears to be distinctively different enough from the other two types of gauss weapon receivers, but costs the same.

Speaking of which, as well as the platform as a whole.

Gauche: Confederation Military

1. Gauss weapon platforms seem to be the principal choice for most interstellar ground forces.

2. The weakness with lasers is that if you know the other side uses them, reflec and ablat armour.

3. Also, you need a power pack, which you might not notice in powered armour, but would in anything else.

4. Haven't come across maintenance costs, but would suspect that for energy weapons they would be intense.

5. The best bang for buck for a low maintenance infantry weapon is likely the Advanced Combat Rifle, at a thousand starbux and probably the cheapest ammunition at forty round magazine at fifteen starbux, before discounts.

6. Gauss rifles are somewhat inbetween the Advanced Combat Rifle and the laser one, using energy to propel a kinetic payload.

7. Normal line of sight at human height on Terra is five klix to the horizon.

8. Base effective range is six hundred and six hundred fifty metres, extreme twenty four and twenty six hundred, very long barrel thirty and thirty two hundred fifty metres.

9. And you can always make that freebie modularization be the barrel change.

A. Gauss rifles would equip Home Guard units, if only to maintain equivalence to the Confederation Army, though it could be only a barebones version.

B. The Confederation Army and Confederation Marine Corps would have advanced models, Special Forces and Marines really feature rich ones.

C. Barebone variants would be available to most Confederation agencies with armed units, though Solomani Security can easily afford the more expensive versions.

D. Advanced Combat Rifles would be considered default for most Confederation planetary defence forces, and paramilitary forces.

E. Also considered ideal for long term storage, such as in prepositioned weapon caches on occupied planets.

F. Presumably, freebie modularization for barrel change applies to listed Advanced Combat Rifles, as well.

G. The gauss pistol can act as a personnel defence weapon.

H. It has ammunition capacity that can be increased to fifty four rounds without sacrificing reaction.

I. Easy enough to issue to support units, or even frontline troops, in standard gravity environments.

J. Probably widespread adoption in that format, which simplifies logistics.

K. The alternative being the snub automatic pistol.

Gauche: Minimal Barrel

1. All damage dice are converted to D3s; e.g., a standard rifle calibre weapon with a Minimal barrel reduces damage from 3D to 3D3.

2. Don't see any exceptions, even with the method of propulsion used in gauss weapons, damage is not reduced by short barrels in the manner of high velocity projectile weaponry.

3. Effective range for all weapons with a Minimal barrel is reduced to 5m, and effects that rely on high-velocity, such as non-explosive armour-piercing effects, are annulled.

4. In theory, a gauss receiver should nullify the above, because the acceleration is within receiver, kinda the opposite of the rocket gun.

5. Though, that should make the length of the barrel irrelevant, in terms of range, though not in terms of accuracy.

6. A Minimal barrel has negligible weight and cost, but increases Physical Signature by two levels ...

7. Emissions remain low, but you hear a louder crack.

8. ... when the weapon is fired and reduces Penetration by -2.

9. Damage is somewhat set, but penetration penalty pretty much seems to stand.

Gauss Rifle: The ultimate development of the slug thrower, the gauss rifle generates an electromagnetic field along the length of the barrel which accelerates a 4 mm, 4 gram needle bullet to velocities of 1500 meters per second. The round itself consists of a dense armor piercing core surrounded by a softer metal covering, ending in a hollow point, giving the round both high stopping power and a good armor piercing capability. Flight along the barrel is nearly frictionless, with spin stabilization imparted through magnetic bias.

A 40 round magazine is attached behind the pistol grip, and each pull of the trigger fires one, four, or ten rounds. The firing setting may be changed at the end of each combat round.

Standard equipment on the gauss rifle includes a battlefield sight similar to that used on the ACR, a RAM grenade adapter, gyrostabilization, and a sling. Reloading by replacement of an empty magazine or RAM grenade takes one combat round, during which the player is considered to be evading. Power is provided by a disposable power pack included in each magazine.

Length, exclusive of grenade: 750 mm. Weight, unloaded: 3500 grams (loaded magazines weigh 400 grams). Base price: CR 1500 (40 round magazine and battery pack: CR 30). Tech level: 12. Extreme range: 1260 meters.

[Gauss Rifle: The ultimate development of the slug thrower, the gauss rifle generates an electromagnetic field along the length of the barrel which accelerates a 4 mm, 4 gram needle bullet to velocities of 1500 meters per second. The round itself consists of a dense armor piercing core surrounded by a softer metal covering, ending in a hollow point, giving the round both high stopping power and a good armor piercing capability. Flight along the barrel is nearly frictionless, with spin stabilization imparted through magnetic bias.

A 40 round magazine is attached behind the pistol grip, and each pull of the trigger fires one, four, or ten rounds. The firing setting may be changed at the end of each combat round.

Standard equipment on the gauss rifle includes a battlefield sight similar to that used on the ACR, a RAM grenade adapter, gyrostabilization, and a sling. Reloading by replacement of an empty magazine or RAM grenade takes one combat round, during which the player is considered to be evading. Power is provided by a disposable power pack included in each magazine.

Length, exclusive of grenade: 750 mm. Weight, unloaded: 3500 grams (loaded magazines weigh 400 grams). Base price: CR 1500 (40 round magazine and battery pack: CR 30). Tech level: 12. Extreme range: 1260 meters.
]

Last edited:
Wow, a completely blank post, one of your best yet.

When are you getting to the gauss blowjob and the gauss clitflick?

1. I use dark mode; but I switched to another browser to have a look, and it's legible.

2. Having an OLED screen might have made a difference.

3. Clickflick sounds like an electric trigger, which isn't an option, yet.

4. Haven't made it yet to heavy weapons flamethrower, so there's still hope.

How about stop pissing about with font colours? Unless you want to buy me an OLRD monitor?
I really hope you realise I was being tongue in cheek and find your sexualisation of Traveller weapons - worrying. :)
edit - meant in humour see what I did there? :)

I make it a policy not to take offence on the internet.

On one hand, you can read posts, not body language; though on the other hand, it does give you time to consider the reply, which might not be the case face to face.

I wouldn't buy an OLED monitor, unless your profession requires it (or the prices come down about a third); fifty five inch Lucky Goldstar on sale is about the sweetspot between price and performance (also considerably cheaper than the forty eighter, or the forty twoer). A nice amount of real estate, but does require space on the desk. And actually easier to handle than the four monitor setups.

L. Not so much a dilemma, but a concern, considering current events.

M. Compatible magazines, that could be used by any gauss rifle, or let's say standard gauss receiver, used by the Home Guard(s), Marine Corps, Confederation Army, Confederation Navy, or other paramilitaried Confederation agency.

N. It sounds simple, but adding features to the receiver tends to drive the price up, and standard magazines tend to be one percent of final cost.

O. The question is if a standard magazine (unmodified ammunition capacity) from an eight hundred starbux barebones gauss rifle is compatible with a completely featured out ten kilobux gauss rifle (unmodified ammunition capacity).

P. That would be the cheap solution; the expensive one would be basing the cost of the magazine on the expensive gauss rifle variant, and using those on the cheap gauss rifle variants, to ensure compatibility.

Q. Gauss standard receiver Type One would be the prototype semi automatic mechanism, at eight hundred starbux.

R. Gauss standard receiver Type Two would be the adapted fully automatic mechanism, at nine hundred sixty starbux.

S. Gauss standard receiver Type Three would be a civilian variant, repeater mechanism, with a a ninety percent plus ammunition reduction and fixed magazine, one hundred ninety two starbux.

T. Being repeater, ammunition capacity of four, and only four dice of potential damage, it could qualify as a hunting rifle.

U. Surprisingly, a lot of insurgents in the Solomani Sphere use them as sniper rifles.

V. Standard Gauss propulsion units suitable for use in a longarm become available at TL12 and have base Damage 4D. Cr50 per 100 rounds.

W. Small Gauss propulsion units suitable for a handgun become available at TL13 have base Damage 3D. Cr50 per 100 rounds.

X. Enhanced Gauss propulsion units become available at TL14 and have base Damage 5D. Cr50 per 100 rounds.

Y. Now it becomes a question whether you can implant an enhanced gauss receiver in a handgun platform.

Z. Personally, I doubt it, but that would be a pretty hefty surprise in a small package.

1. Being the primary weaponized arms of an interstellar political entity transiting from technological level fourteen to fifteen, facing a technological level fifteen antagonist, the Confederation Army and Confederation Navy will likely be mostly equipped with technological level fourteen equipment, across the board.

2. Their primary infantry weapon will be Enhanced Gauss rifles.

3. Richer an/or high technological worlds will have their Home Guards equipped likewise.

4. Other Home Guards would have Standard Gauss Rifles, and unlikely spend much effort in adding unneeded features.

5. The Confederation Army and Confederation Navy have the personnel and logistics to procure and maintain expensive technological level fourteen weapon systems.

6. Subsidized Home Guard units will have a requirement for gauss rifles, but will likely choose the low end of the high low mix.

7. Specialized assault units may be equipped with Small Gauss assault weapons; some might make do with automated Small Gauss handguns and extended magazines.

8. Cost per rifle may be less a factor, than spare parts and personnel that can maintain them, if the local industry can't replicate the parts.

9. So the presumption would be the cheaper the platform, the easier to import the parts and minimizing the cost of maintenance.

Gravitational Combat Creeper Ground Clearer

1. I discovered I dislike crawling in the mud, especially carrying, or dragging along, equipment.

2. On the other hand, I would also dislike making it easier to be sighted and targetted by someone who wouldn't have my best interests at heart.

3. While a wheeled vehicle would be possible (and cheaper), it's likely to get bogged down.

4. Tracked might resolve that, but technological level eight does make something that can just levitate over the ground possible.

5. I doubt that an air cushion would provide the stealth required, as well as spraying the mud all over the place.

6. It might be almost described as paddling out over the ground, much as one would a surf board.

7. Not the levitating skateboard Back To The Future, since you're standing up.

8. I suppose you could attach another grav board, carrying extra equipment.

9. Propulsion and steering probably are issues that have to be resolved.

SCA_630463_hi-res.jpg

A. First candidate would be a light grav vehicle chassis.

B. Logic indicates open frame.

C. You're lying flat, so one space is enough, and with no actual seating, comfortable enough.

D. My issue would be that open frame with one space is a basic forty kilostarbux.

E. And the really basic one, thirty kilostarbux, since you can remove the sides (and ceiling).

F. Though to be fair, even at technological level eight, that's high speed and a kiloklix range.

G. At technological level ten, the auxiliary grav drive is introduced.

H. If it's airborne, Agility minus one, Range halved, Speed reduced by one band.

I. Doubles cost per vehicle Space, and needs twenty five percent of total (complete) Spaces.

J. I would think once we go beyond the space required for a single trooper, it potentially becomes a grav sled.

K. A large one could become a platform, for anything, including a weapon system.

L. It occurs to me, that adding a seat and a wheel, you get a go cart.

M. If you add in an auxiliary grav drive, that needs an extra dedicated space, for a total of two spaces.

N. Eliminating waste, you'd need four spaces, with one for the auxiliary grav drive, and three for cargo and/or passengers.

O. Pointless to trade performance for space(s) below ten spaced capacity.

P. So in this case, you'd aim for minimum twelve spaces.

A. Gauss standard receiver Type Four would be an, or the, attempt at a general purpose military sidearm, fully automatic mechanism combined with a bullpup configuration, at twelve hundred starbux.

B. This would increase Quickdraw by plus two, improving close quarters encounters.

C. Since darts don't need ejection ports, gauss weapon systems are basically caseless, so hot casings aren't an issue depending on what side you hold the rifle on.

D. Likely, an assault weapon or submachinegun won't be issued.

E. Personal defence weapon may be as simple as just replacing the (freebie) barrel with a short one.

F. And apparently, you can leave the bullpup feed mechanism hanging out nowhere.

Last edited:
Back