Ship Explosion Attack Dice (SF)

Hi all! When a ship explodes and you make the "attacks" against everyone within 4", are these attacks just like standard weapons? Roll x dice, 4s hit, 6's ignore shields, etc.?

Thanks!

Remember to make those killing blows from 5" away.

Going to be fun for the Lyran and Hydran both of whom tend to do the most damage from up close, Fusion beams, Phaser gatlings, ESG rams. :twisted:

Captain Jonah said:

d:

On Sunday, our resident Kzinti was very careful in applying the coup de grace to a D6 a mere 2" off his bow. No 4 drone death crush there, just a careful disruptor blast.

Our crafty Orion Pirate player flew a badly damaged BR deep into an asteroid field Saturday.
With no shields remaining nad 1 point above the crippled threshold, his movement ended in the midst of 3 DWs.
Needless to say, he failed his CQC and took enough damageto explode immediately.

Cheesy, for sure. But he did manage to damage 3 DWs and a CW with the explosion.

scoutdad said:
Our crafty Orion Pirate player flew a badly damaged BR deep into an asteroid field Saturday.
With no shields remaining nad 1 point above the crippled threshold, his movement ended in the midst of 3 DWs.
Needless to say, he failed his CQC and took enough damageto explode immediately.

Cheesy, for sure. But he did manage to damage 3 DWs and a CW with the explosion.

Shades of BFG and driving an injured Chaos Slaughter deep into the center of an Imperial fleet while waving a 'kill me' sign. 8)

McKinstry said:
Captain Jonah said:

d:

On Sunday, our resident Kzinti was very careful in applying the coup de grace to a D6 a mere 2" off his bow. No 4 drone death crush there, just a careful disruptor blast.

LOL! Actually, I was a bit sad that nothing blew up that turn. Since my BC was a gonner (no sheilds, 1 hit away from crippled), I drove it up to within 1.5 inches of a D6, overloaded my Disruptors and was in killzone for all my phaser 1s and 3s :twisted: . Also he had other ships within 4 inches of both my BC and his D6...I wanted at least one of those ships to go BOOM (think Fire Ship :D ). Sadly, both ships just broke apart but it was still fun getting that many close in shots...oh well...the best laid plans of Mice and Kzinti...

McKinstry said:
scoutdad said:

Shades of BFG and driving an injured Chaos Slaughter deep into the center of an Imperial fleet while waving a 'kill me' sign. 8)

I love it!!! Did he say this as he drove into the field: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U7rOUSvYM8 :lol:

Another explosion question: When you reach the 'Ship Explodes' line on the dilithium chamber critical line what type of explosion is it? I ask because there are two ways a ship can explode. I've assumed it's the first type of explosion (the not quite so big one).

McKinstry said:
scoutdad said:

Love it. Guaranteed way of going down in a blaze of glory. Might have tried to ram in that situation though, big thump on one, plus explosion and definitely going to go up even if ram attempt failed as going through an asteroid field. Still, a nice way of taking the enemy's mess back to their own front door for them to clean up.

No ramming allowed in the Star Fleet Universe.

Space is big... ships are small...
Structural integrity fields prevent ram damage...
warp bubbles slide across each other without impact damage...

Whatever hand wavium you choose to follow, you still can't ram another ship.

gord314 said:
both explosions are the same size, half starting hull max 20.

I don't think I made it clear what I was asking: does the ship explode at the end of the next movement phase (the first, less serious explosion) or immediately (the second type of explosion)? The chart just says 'Ship Explodes' but there are two ways it can explode. I'm assuming it is the first type where everyone detects the dilitium chamber instability and runs like hell!

dalek4890l said:
gord314 said:
both explosions are the same size, half starting hull max 20.

I don't think I made it clear what I was asking: does the ship explode at the end of the next movement phase (the first, less serious explosion) or immediately (the second type of explosion)? The chart just says 'Ship Explodes' but there are two ways it can explode. I'm assuming it is the first type where everyone detects the dilitium chamber instability and runs like hell!

Option #2. Getting that critical blows your ship up the instant it happens. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200

edit: Under Critical Hits, (paraphrased and condensed) "Consult chart, apply effects... immediately."

scoutdad said:

Oops, sorry I thought it was still in as in the other ACTA systems. I really need to get hold of a copy of the rule book myself and stop trying to remember what's in my brother's copy I skimmed through a couple of weeks ago.

Also my Star Trek fan brain is running through a number of occasions in the many series when ships rammed others quite successfully: e.g. the Jem'Hadar raider that slammed into a Galaxy-class starship obliterating it. :(

Arch Lector Petrovski said:
scoutdad said:

e.g. the Jem'Hadar raider that slammed into a Galaxy-class starship obliterating it. :(

That is post TOS and therefore an evil time when people did things like that. Here in the civilised time of The Original Series all is fluffy Tribbles and rainbows and no one is nasty enough to Ram someone :lol: :wink:

Pass me some more plasma roasted Tribbles, its time for mid morning coffee and a snack :twisted:

Captain Jonah said:
scoutdad said:

e.g. the Jem'Hadar raider that slammed into a Galaxy-class starship obliterating it. :(

That is post TOS and therefore an evil time when people did things like that. Here in the civilised time of The Original Series all is fluffy Tribbles and rainbows and no one is nasty enough to Ram someone :lol: :wink:

Pass me some more plasma roasted Tribbles, its time for mid morning coffee and a snack :twisted:

I suppose, the only ramming in the original serie I can remember was wehn Kirk...rammed his first into enemy captains on barren planets. :shock:

scoutdad said:

Also my Star Trek fan brain is running through a number of occasions in the many series when ships rammed others quite successfully: e.g. the Jem'Hadar raider that slammed into a Galaxy-class starship obliterating it. :(

Yes but that is the Star Trek Universe, not the Star Fleet Universe - the SFU diverged from Trek before that point....you need TOS stuff, or that era (animated series and so on) to be SFU.

Even then Im inclined to stay with move close and self destruct with legendary captains type rules or simply limit it to a particular scenario rather than a general rule.

Ah, your own ships blowing up in your face - just one more reason I like the Fed NCA over the Fed CA - less hull to damage your other ships with :D

Back