Ship Cards

Here's yet another re-design of my Exeter card (I think I'm getting close to the final design).
Exetercard3.jpg

Any comments or criticism?

holden88 said:
Here's yet another re-design of my Exeter card (I think I'm getting close to the final design).
Exetercard3.jpg

Any comments or criticism?

That is really nice, how big are thinking of making them?

I would have thought two per page would be ideal!

Roland

I like both Chernobyl's cards and Holden88's cards. Both of you are doing some great work. If you need any help to get the fleets out I would not mind helping. I do not know what I could do to help but if you need it just message me, I am sure there would be other poeple who would not mind helping yous so you can get the cards done faster. Well done and good job both of you.

Holden, looks nice!

I have a couple suggestions though. . .

1. Drop the block with the non-game info. This is being used as a game play reference card. Extraneous details not relevant to the game should be eliminated.

2. You only have 9 fire blocks. I've had as many as 12 fires started aboard a ship in a single volley! I would suggest removing the blocks and just leaving that a white block people can write the number in.

3. Sizing - don't know what size you are intending to make these, I would try to make them no larger than a 5x7 index card if possible.

I agree with Soulmage on points 2 and 3, however I like the pretty extras. If you get a full set of them made, I will most likely make a laminated card for each of my ships. That way, they are pretty and re-useable.

BS

You not going to include the PL?

I'm using the same system my ACTA cards use, the color of the logo (the Red "Victory at sea") denotes the PL, in this case War. in order they're Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, and Red.

They are too small for my liking, I would prefer to see two sheeps to a page max!

I'd like to keep them small - Its not supposed to be a whole sheet - at that rate the information isn't any more condensed than it is in the book.
As a reference, it ought to be condensed somewhat.

I like the cards. Would look better with each nations naval flag.

I"m using the Naval Jack Flags where possible because the swasticka is on Germany's Ensign and not on Germany's Jack. That way more of our european friends can play...it also makes it stand out as a Navy game rather than just signifying the nationality.

The most time consuming part is finding a grey recognition profile of the ship in sufficient detail. They're all over the internet but it takes time running them down. It took an hour to find the one for the Iowa class.

Chernboyl

Chernobyl said:
If you can look some up for the royal navy that'd be great.

Chern

Sent you a PM with pics I found. Let me know if that is what you are looking for. I will need to have a copy of my VaS book to keep looking since I am not all that familiar with RN ship classes and I don't know what ones are in the VaS book as of yet.

BS

The Japanese Skirmish priority cards are now done

http://minigamer.bitterwise.com/?p=7

The rest of the Japanese cards will be done this week and then I will start on the American fleet.

The US fleet will take a bit longer than the Japanese as it has about twice the number of ships.

Using Google image search is an excellent way of finding ship and aircraft pictures for projects such as this. Wikipedia articles often have decent pictures attached to them too.

I agree..however I'm looking for...

bb-55-line.gif

not...

Uss_north_carolina_bb.jpg

which makes the search more difficult. I think it gives the cards a different feel, like its a page from a manual...

Chern

@Chern

The drawings you are looking for look like recognition sketches as used, for example, in Photographic Intelligence and Reconnaissance (Guaging armaments and build completeness etc). Dunno if this might help you with sources.

yes exactly
but the only comprehensive sources for these I've found is the ONI manuals. I've found a site that has good size scans of them but they charge 15-30 bucks depending on the manual.

http://www.history-on-cdrom.com/home.htm

Chernobyl

Here's my latest version of my ship cards. I think this will be the final configuration. Now that I've nailed it down, I can concentrate on making the fleets.
vascard1.jpg

Beleive it or not, I used MS Excel to create these cards.

this is gonna sound thick but how do you show that image on here, what do you link it too ?

you can tell I am a PC genius cant you :)

I really like that! :D

I have been using the Fleet Generator produced by Burger which is very good but because you get three ships per page I find them too small especially the tick boxes so I would suggest that you produce your cards with two per page.

Roland

Back