Ship Cards

holden88

Mongoose
I really enjoy VAS but like ACTA before it I found it a bit of a pain in the neck to play. I kept having to leaf through the rulebook to find info on the various ships. Flipping back and forth all the time grew tedious so I decided to make some game aids to improve play.

I made a bunch of ship data cards. They contain all the useful game information onto one handy card which can then be laminated. Dry erase markers or grease pencils can then be used to track damage, crew loss, ammo expendature and critical hits.

Here's an example:
Exetercard.jpg

I've only made a handful so far and they have helped a lot. I plan to finish the cards for the rest of the ships I'm interested in but was wondering how far I should go.

Is there any interest out there for this sort of thing?

I would pay to down load your quick reference cards and I think a lot of other people would as well!

I have started to do a similar thing but nowhere near as good.

What size are the cards?

Roland

They're not very big (about 4" by 4"). But you could really scale them to whatever size you want before printing them.

I find the smaller size handy. Especially for the really big battles battles. They are designed to be left on the table during play.

Here are all the ships for the Battle of the River Plate:
ExeterCard.jpg

AjaxCard.jpg

AchillesCard.jpg

GrafSpeeCard.jpg

We made excel file cards for every ship in our fleet, printed them out and laminated them. Not quite as fancy as yours, but they are all done for around 100 ships already! :)

I like these, I have done similar ones for all RN and KN ships. Laminated and reusable. :)

It will remain a mistery forever for me why Monagoos is not producing stuff like this for VaS and ACtA!

It will remain a mistery forever for me why Monagoos is not producing stuff like this for VaS and ACtA!

Probably because it is easier to let the fans do it for them. There have been at least 10 different version for ACTA and new ones keep popping up every now and again. Looks like we're seeing the same thing for VaS. I'm sure I'd be making one as well if I had picked up a copy of the rules, but I'm focusing on other projects at the moment.

Obsidian said:

Probably because it is easier to let the fans do it for them. There have been at least 10 different version for ACTA and new ones keep popping up every now and again. Looks like we're seeing the same thing for VaS. I'm sure I'd be making one as well if I had picked up a copy of the rules, but I'm focusing on other projects at the moment.

I am pretty sure that people would buy them from Mongoose - sigh - there decision.
Anyway, they are a must, without them neither gaem is playable...

Soulmage said:
We made excel file cards for every ship in our fleet, printed them out and laminated them. Not quite as fancy as yours, but they are all done for around 100 ships already! :)

Is it possible to get a copy of your Excel file? Does it have the stats for all the ships in it?

I've provided the template to one or two others. I would be uncomfortable providing the filled out cards though. If Mongoose wants to provide the ship stats in that format, that would be great, but I don't think it is my place to do so.

So. . . short version is, I can give you the template we used, but you will need to fill out the cards then laminate yourself.

Soulmage said:
I've provided the template to one or two others. I would be uncomfortable providing the filled out cards though.

I actually just want the data. I was going to do my own cards up in Illustrator and that would save me doing the data entry

I am going to use the layout I did for my ACTA cards as a basis for the VaS cards

Here is a sample of the Takao Class Cruiser

2e22d51.jpg

In order to make sure that I get off my butt and finish them, unlike my ACTA cards, I will eventually be offering these for sale via PayPal. Probably for $1 a fleet.

pixelgeek said:
I am going to use the layout I did for my ACTA cards as a basis for the VaS cards

Here is a sample of the Takao Class Cruiser

In order to make sure that I get off my butt and finish them, unlike my ACTA cards, I will eventually be offering these for sale via PayPal. Probably for $1 a fleet.

Aren't afraid to violate any copyrights???
:shock:

Aren't afraid to violate any copyrights???

It's a legitimate concern, but based on the leniancy they showed with the ACTA pages I really don't think they will have a problem with these. Come to think of it, I should go pick up a copy of the rules and start work on a Victory at Sea combat sim...

Obsidian said:
It's a legitimate concern, but based on the leniancy they showed with the ACTA pages I really don't think they will have a problem with these.

I am not sure that you can copyright a series of numbers.

Chernobyl said:
what about all the 1's and 0's on a CD?

Not really relevant is it?

And I don't think that IP can refer to something as generic as a set of numbers. There has to be something unique about them that distinguishes them from another set of numbers.

Back