SciFi RuneQuest

soltakss

Cosmic Mongoose
I was thinking about SciFi rules for RuneQuest (well, RuneQuest and BRP) and then I thought that it's a shame in a way that Mongoose has the Traveller system as that pretty much means there's no reason for them to make a SciFi RQ.

But then I had a look at the Traveller area on Mongoose, having made my Map Making and Scouting rolls to leave the RQ Forum safely, and lo and behold there is a Traveller SRD.

Well, there's a Traveller SRD and a RQ SRD, so what's to stop someone taking the general SciFi rules from the Traveller SRD and converting them to RQ? With a bit of tidying up, there's your RQ SciFi rules.

Have I got it right? Is that all you need to do? I always thought that one of the major advantages of the OGL was that you could take two OGL products and combine them.

Or is it a case of "Does Not Compute"?

Oh yes! I love twists one can make out of overly complex legal documents (well at least sometimes...).

Can't see anything to stop someone from mingling the two - but there are other, darker, things in that document.

I have ideas for a science fiction Runequest, but with all the other ideas I've had, those went into the background. I would like to see it.

What I am looking for is a good science fiction storyline that would work well for the Runequest ruleset.

On the other hand, I also want to do a Sedna D20 game someday. D20 OGL or Runequest OGL... Decisions, decisions...

Sure, the stuff in the srd's is open, so mingling is not a problem. The problem is that the Traveller srd is not quite as complete. For example, you can't just copy the ships or careers.

I have thought about a mix of Traveller and RuneQuest, too. Traveller works well, but a lot of people prefer more character-advancement after character generation. The main task would be to convert the skill system from Traveller to RuneQuest. That way most of the tings (world creation, ships, trade, ...) do not need to change. Even space combat could more or less stay the same, you just generally roll d100 instead of 2d6 and have the RuneQuest rules for advancement. If you make the conversion as easy as possible, you could even use Traveller adventures without a lot of tinkering.

Even character generation is not completely different if you find a formula that links the number of terms to a reasonable number of points for skills in runequest.

The problem is the different percentage-distribution in 2d6 and d100 and the use of characteristics in rolls. But even if you assume average characteristics when you make up a formula, the leap from untrained to skill 0 is hard to simulate (it's usually a 30-40% leap depending on Task Difficulty and Characteristics). The devil is in the details...
I have thought about something like this for converting skills from traveller to RQ:
skill 0: Base % + 30%
skill 1: Base % + 45%
skill 2: Base % + 60%
skill 3: Base % + 70%
skill 4: Base % + 80%
skill 5: Base % + 85%
+5% ...

It's very simple, but even if you use more complicated systems, you can always find good and bad examples... So why not take a very simple system?

its funny as we're just starting a BRP Traveller game.

Rather than convert stuff from Traveller, we're just using BRP, with trade rules from Megatraveller.

I've managed to get some free time and have produced a very rough draft of a combination of the RQ and Traveller SRDs.

Take a look at http://www.soltakss.com/rq_scifi.doc and let me know if I am on the right track.

It still needs a fair bit of work. Especially:
  • The Combat Rules need tightening up and slimming down
    Different Sci-Fi Legendary Abilities and perhaps a new name for them
    More Equipment
    More detailed Stellar Navigation rules
    More Cybernetics/Genetics
    Detailed Vehicle rules and sample vehicles
    Sample Alien species
    The Starship Design rules need tightening up
    Sample Starships, Vehicles, Robots and Computers
    More Psionic Talents, Powers and Equipment
    More Professions and more Traveller-Style RQ Character Generation
    Traveller-Style RQ Character Generation converted to RQ

Anyway, let me know what I am missing, what I have done wrong and what I need to change.

I have Ringworld (a Chaosium BRP game), and i have Other Suns (a BRP game published by FGU), and thats all i need (for RQ3 or BRP), but i would be exited to get a general SciFi background book for MRQ or BRP.

Bring back SpaceQuest back on track!

And a (fan made?) Star Trek BRP, Star Wars BRP, Babylon 5 BRP, etc. could be nice too.

Cheers

Osentalka

Soltakss,

First off, GORE (Generic Old-School Roleplaying Engine) might be of use to this project being a CoC retro clone.

Also of use, for an example of Traveller style character generation in a BRP system is Future World.

I'd suggest dropping SOC and PSI. PSI is covered by POW (or you could rename POW to PSI, PSIonic Power) so there is no need for two stats. I don't see the need for a SOCial standing characteristic. Noble is a profession in RQ which you can select.

Those are my initial thoughts.

Jim.[/url]

I didn't look into the details yet, but it looks like a good start to work on a conversion.

An essential part of Traveller d100 are conversion guidelines for ships/vehicles and characters in the appendix, so that you can use Traveller-adventures and -sourcebooks without a lot of work.

yojimbo said:
First off, GORE (Generic Old-School Roleplaying Engine) might be of use to this project being a CoC retro clone.

Thanks, I'm aware of GORE but it didn't seem to have much in the way of SciFiness. I'll have to have another look at it, but I really wanted almost straigh RQM-SciFi, that way I could add whatever extra stuff I wanted around that.

yojimbo said:
Also of use, for an example of Traveller style character generation in a BRP system is Future World.

I wanted to steer clear of Future World and Ringworld because they are owned by Chaosium and I didn't want to get mixed up with any allegations of pinching material.

Ideally, I'd take a lot of the equipment and spot rules from Ringworld, Future World and Other Suns for a fuller SciFi game, but that would involve getting permission etc. Any RQSciFi rules should be pretty compatible with the other games so you could just slot things in if you needed them.

yojimbo said:
I'd suggest dropping SOC and PSI. PSI is covered by POW (or you could rename POW to PSI, PSIonic Power) so there is no need for two stats. I don't see the need for a SOCial standing characteristic. Noble is a profession in RQ which you can select.

I thought about that. I wanted to keep PSI and POW separate simply because I have hopes of a Space Opera-style game where magic can come into play, and not just as Psionics. So, I wanted to keep POW as a separate stat. It also keeps Luck and Psi separate.

I almost dropped SOC, but I could see a place for it in a highly class-driven society. One of my ideas for a Space Opera game is of several large Empires interacting, each with their own multiple layers of nobility and social positions, some with castes, some with orders of knighthood and so on and SOC would be a good way of modelling that. I'll have to see how much it impacts on the RQ rules. I might just put it into the Appendices.

DirkD said:
I didn't look into the details yet, but it looks like a good start to work on a conversion.

Thanks. It still needs a lot of work, though.

DirkD said:
An essential part of Traveller d100 are conversion guidelines for ships/vehicles and characters in the appendix, so that you can use Traveller-adventures and -sourcebooks without a lot of work.

Unfortunately I don't have the Traveller rulebooks and don't really want to go out and buy them just for a RQ SciFi - that's why I wanted a RQScifi SRD!!!

Maybe I'll have to go and get some of the Traveller stuff. If it's available as cheap PDFs I might think about it.

But, yes, I agree. Conersion rules for Traveller ships, perhaps using the same stats, would be the way to go with this. I don't want to rewrite the stats for things, so it makes sense to keep Hull/Structure as stats as that is similar enough to RQ ships to still be an RQ game mechanic.

Unfortunately, I don't have any stats for ships etc as I am only going off the SRD which is incredibly light on that sort of thing. Sigh, perhaps I have to buy some stuff after all.

If your goal is to produce an OGL sci fi game using RQ as a base then why not adapt other OGL material to RQ.

There's wealth of stuff in the Future section of the d20 Modern SRD and there is a whole host of stuff from 3rd party publishers such as:

Space Opera/Hard SF:
Traveller20 (Quiklink)
Reign of Dicordia (True20 setting, RDP)
Blood & Space (RPGObjects)
Fading Suns d20 (Holistic Designs)
Dawning Star (Blue Devil)

Cyberpunk:
Blood & Circuits: Cybernetics (RPGObjects)
True20 Cybernetics (Green Ronin)
OGL Cybernet (Mongoose)
Interface Zero (True20 setting, RDP)

Post Apocalypse:
Darwin's World (d20 rules & setting, RPGObjects)

Space Fantasy:
Dragonstar (D&D in Spaaace, Fantasy Flight)
Lux Aeternum (Musketeers in Spaaace, True20, Blackwyrm)

plus all the many small pdfs of races and starships by 3PP.

Jim.

yojimbo said:
If your goal is to produce an OGL sci fi game using RQ as a base then why not adapt other OGL material to RQ.

That would be the best move. I started with Traveller as the Granddaddy of SciFi settings but it is cumbersome and the background has its quirks.

yojimbo said:
There's wealth of stuff in the Future section of the d20 Modern SRD

I didn't know about that. Thanks. It's fairly detailed but not too close to RQ to be just duplicating. I'll be using a lot of that.

yojimbo said:
and there is a whole host of stuff from 3rd party publishers such as:

Space Opera/Hard SF:
Traveller20 (Quiklink)
Reign of Dicordia (True20 setting, RDP)
Blood & Space (RPGObjects)
Fading Suns d20 (Holistic Designs)
Dawning Star (Blue Devil)

Cyberpunk:
Blood & Circuits: Cybernetics (RPGObjects)
True20 Cybernetics (Green Ronin)
OGL Cybernet (Mongoose)
Interface Zero (True20 setting, RDP)

Post Apocalypse:
Darwin's World (d20 rules & setting, RPGObjects)

Space Fantasy:
Dragonstar (D&D in Spaaace, Fantasy Flight)
Lux Aeternum (Musketeers in Spaaace, True20, Blackwyrm)

plus all the many small pdfs of races and starships by 3PP.

Unless they are OGL and have a SRD I probably won't be buying them. Maybe if they are a couple of dollars, but maybe not. However, thanks for the list - I can have a hunt around to try and find them.

You might also want to look at a system called High Colonies from (I think) Waterford Publishing. It's a fairly straightforward RQ style system from which you might be able to cull something useful.

As it happens I have a copy I'll be putting on eBay very shortly - I don't expect it to go for much so you might want to have a look.

Richard Crawley

If you're looking for some Chaosium BRP SciFi stuff, you should try to check RingWorld (Based on Larry Niven's novels) which is far more complete and detailed than Future World or even the new BRP. Unfortunately you may have a hard time finding the game.

Yep, I've got Other Suns, Ringworld and Future World. They are all good systems and could offer a lot to a Sci-Fi RQ game.

However, I am not sure how much equipment, rules etc can be taken from them due to copyright rules.

Hervé said:
If you're looking for some Chaosium BRP SciFi stuff, you should try to check RingWorld (Based on Larry Niven's novels) which is far more complete and detailed than Future World or even the new BRP. Unfortunately you may have a hard time finding the game.

I always loved Ringworld. I once, back in the 1980's, ran a game, useing RuneQuest3rd mechanics, on a ringworld. Yes, there was high tech, but this ringworld was created by the gods. I don't think the players ever figured that out. However they did take over an abandoned sky castle, sailed it across a huge ocean, and conqured an island map of earth.

Back