Scholar sorcery styles and feats

Voltumna

Mongoose
A scholar may take certain feats in lieu of a sorcery style. Would you allow a scholar to take a sorcery style in lieu of a feat?

Thanks for bring that question up.

At first response I would say yes as long as any prereq's were meet. My question would be would that be allowing the scholar class easier access to styles thus making the character class a tad more powerful.

Maybe if you allow this, one can not get an advanced spell at the same time when they trade in their feat for a new style.

afro-slav said:
My question would be would that be allowing the scholar class easier access to styles thus making the character class a tad more powerful.

I don't think that would be the case. You would be allowing breadth, which might prevent deeper knowledge of many sorcery styles. Having access to more sorcery styles also means that you will have more basic spells, which will grant you access to more powerful spells, but which are not very powerful per se. Also, the number of advanced spells will be limited by class progression, or feats such as sorcerer's boon. Again, the only extra spells you will have are the basic spells, and of course access to a wider spell selection.

By this I don't mean that a scholar should be allowed to take all sorcery styles if he has enough feats to trade for them, but I think one or two extra sorcery styles could be good options for a scholar character. Probably the sorcerer boon feat could be modified to grant either a basic or an advanced spell, given the sorcerer has a source to learn the basic spell from.

René said:
afro-slav said:
I do like the latter idea of using sorcerer's boon to grant a new spell style.

Isn't Sorcerer's Boon about Advanced Spells?

Yes, it is in the rule book. I was saying that I like Voltumna's idea of using it for a new spell style in addition to advanced spells.

afro-slav said:
René said:
afro-slav said:
I do like the latter idea of using sorcerer's boon to grant a new spell style.

Isn't Sorcerer's Boon about Advanced Spells?

Yes, it is in the rule book. I was saying that I like Voltumna's idea of using it for a new spell style in addition to advanced spells.

Oops, I should read ALL posts carefully :oops:

No I wouldn't allow it. Scholars get only a few Styles and their choices are a major part of defining who they are and what makes them different from other scholars. What I'm saying is that if you let them buy extra styles then a given scholar could eventually have every style, which isn't good IMO. Basic game design theory dictates that charcters should have more options than they have resources.

Later.

Back