SAS vs Force Recon

i'd forgotten they moved faster

so will anyone be tempted to stick little black bars over the faces of their SAS when they get them? :p :lol:

emperorpenguin said:
i'd forgotten they moved faster

so will anyone be tempted to stick little black bars over the faces of their SAS when they get them? :p :lol:

Nope, I won't look at their faces at all let alone try to stick a black bar across their faces. They're highly trained killers. If I did that I'd be dead. If I looked at them I'd be dead! :lol:

Here's an example though. I pulled it off evocommand. This is rjandron's work though not mine...just thought it was appropriate.
Protection-Detail.jpg
[/quote]

im probabl;y going to paint the faces on my SAS so they are camd up, have pinky faces when trying to be sneeky is illy, hell even airsofters cam up their faces lol.

that said their probbaly look od with camo on their faces but il give it a blast i hope.

While I don't know that much about the direct organisation of ether unit, I'd assume the SAS come with more minis because they operate in larger squads than force recon.

Mr Evil said:
im probabl;y going to paint the faces on my SAS so they are camd up, have pinky faces when trying to be sneeky is illy, hell even airsofters cam up their faces lol.

that said their probbaly look od with camo on their faces but il give it a blast i hope.

Either odd or the quartermaster made his rat-o-van again! :lol:

It's a six man team and here's why

This is from http://www.forcerecon.com/strongmenarmed.htm

The Operational platoons are staffed with a platoon headquarters consisting of a Platoon Commander (usually a Captain), a platoon sergeant (usually a Staff Sergeant or Gunnery Sergeant), Platoon Radio Operator (normally a Staff Sergeant or Gunnery Sergeant), a Navy Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsman, and a platoon Equipment NCO (Rigger/ Armorer).

There are three, six man teams in the platoon. Each Team consists of a Team Leader (SSgt), an Assistant Team Leader (SSgt/ Sgt), a Radio Operator, and three Reconnaissance Scouts.

The six-man team concept reflects real world experience. The Company formerly fielded 4 man teams but there were a number of issues that impacted negatively on the Marines. Consider that they must jump, dive, or walk in with all the gear necessary to complete the mission. The new surveillance and communications gear is lighter, stronger and more efficient than what it replaces, but there is more of it. Less then six cannot carry the equipment necessary for Deep Reconnaissance missions. Equally important is what the team does with a friendly casualty. Unless a 4-man team was willing to cache all of its equipment, they would not be able to carry a casualty out.

In Deep Reconnaissance, survival is based on stealth, and stealth is a by-product of alertness. A 4-man team does not have the numbers to provide an adequate rest cycle while maintaining proper security.

Though a Deep Reconnaissance mission requires that the team not be compromised, the reality of life is that they may. When that happens, the rules change. Because they are in the deep battle area, they cannot count on artillery support, and CAS and the extract birds may be a long time coming. They must be able to shoot, move and communicate, but unlike a Grunt, they are operating in a friendly vacuum. The 4 man team simply does not have enough guns to work as two elements.

The 6 man team also provides the numbers necessary to perform a Direct Action mission. Remember that these missions will take place in a non-permissive (or at best, a semi-permissive) environment. The smaller teams are just an invitation for failed missions and higher casualties.
On the other side of the coin, increasing the team drastically increases the chance of detection. More than 6 and the patrol becomes too unwieldy for clandestine operations.

6 man teams are a compromise, and it is the best available solution.

For Direct Action missions, the platoon is configured into a single unit, and task organized with Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) technicians, a Reconnaissance and Surveillance (R&S) section (drawn from the BLT Scout/ Sniper Platoon), and a Security Element (also drawn from the BLT) as well as other mission related personnel.

Gibbs said:

Intresting reading, I just wonder what the SAS have to say about the limitations of working in 4 man teams.... They seem to have no problems with it and its my understanding they are still regarded as the best in the world....

cordas said:
Gibbs said:

Intresting reading, I just wonder what the SAS have to say about the limitations of working in 4 man teams.... They seem to have no problems with it and its my understanding they are still regarded as the best in the world....

Your problem is equating what the SAS does, to what Force Recon does. They do not equate, but have completely seperate missions.

It's true, although I think I read somewhere that when the SAS do those sort of ops (if they do them) then they go in as two four man squads (hence the eight in a patrol).

I saw a show about SAS where a former SAS member told that SAS has been experimenting with 6 man squads. Granted this was the first and only reference to such an experiment.

What comes to comparing Force Recon and SAS I ended up at the short end of the stick too (I play USMC). From some mail I got an impression that Recon would get a designated marksman (like SAS) and was a little disappointed to find out that this was not the case. Oh, well now I have to wait quite some time to get snipers :(

Otherwise I don't see Recon as a SpecOps unit like SAS is. This could be from the fact that I have very little knowledge about Recon's role and ops (apart from what I have read from Generation Kill). So I put Recon to Elite unit box in my mind. On the other hand Nave SEALs and Delta Force are definitely SpecOps from US side of the pond that should have similar stats and abilities to SAS.

My apologies to any resident Force Recon guys if I have offended you. If that is the case it is by sheer ignorance and not deliberate.

The SAS are used for deep recon.... its a huge part of what they do. They are also capable of going in and doing what needs doing when things get nasty.

They are highly valued for being able to do just about any task given to them.

Snowdog, anyone you offended by what you said is not a "real" Recon Marine. Especially because arguing with truth is futile. You have the gist of it...

Force Recon are Elite Scouts. SEALs and Delta are Operators of the highest caliber.

Cordas, As far as the SAS being the best in the world? Possible, but I'm sure you'd get arguments from at least 30 other nations due to national pride. I'd definitely put them in my top 3-5, but this is and always will be a subjective measurement. There are many tools in the world-shed which can get the job done. If I had the luxury to choose from all forces, the best at any given task would vary depending upon the task. The SAS would be in my top 2 for HRT and shooters, when judged as a whole. But lag behind in some other areas, perhaps even out of the top 10.

well second to the SAS is the SBS and they are the ones who go around training other nations special forces, my friends dad is ex SBS and hes in sharjah apparently it pays so well over their that you find much of the worlds special forces on contract there, thing is they all die the same, and all shoot to the best of their ability, its just about how the teams have bonded and training thy have had, they arnt super men they just no how to do what they do and stay alive.

on the table top i find the recon alot better than sas.

thanks for the info about 3 to a platoon, i may have to get 2 more squads now

what sort of transport do you recon they would go for ?

Back