S&P 47 - big time Evo News

Given that everyone thought Hasbro had Star Wars locked up until WK announced, I wouldn't count on anything at the moment. And WK has dropped their only shipping BSG game, so the license could probably be negotiated away. Not that I expect Mongoose will do so; they really do have enough-to-too-much on their plate already.

Besides, WK is very definitely in the hobby gaming industry. The Forces of Valor rumor is interesting to me, however. I don't swoon over their minis like some do :wink: , but I do think they're nice, and an alliance with a rules provider like Mongoose would make good sense.

But they're a gaming company too.

... And more to the point, Matt didnt actually even hint that there was a partnership ore anything like that at all.
He said someone from a larger company tapped him on the hsoulder and said they were impressed with what they were doing.
For all we know it could have been his bank manager! :D

If that means mongoose get a bosster shot of cash to churn out better quliaty minis cheaper and faster for us then it is a good thing. I am hoping it is mcfarlane though, or possibly someone from Square enix, but they seem doubtful.

Don't forget he said that bit at the end about that person having a project for them.

Could it have been Rebellion? Maybe.

Sorry for trolling here but here is a thought.

Okay, lets say it was rebellion, who are making a starwars game for the psp.
Lets say that somehow they could license that out to mongoose, or the companies did a merger deal.

Get ready for it:

Star Wars evolution.

Nice thought, but theres no way in hell :D

Wizkids managed to snatch the starwars rights from under WOtC's nose because, although WoTC had the rights to Starwars as miniatures game, and as a space ship miniatures game they DIDN'T have the rights to a plasticard construct your own miniatures game.
Don't ask me how that works, because if I was Hasbro and someone did that to me I'd be very annoyed. I assume its because you can't afford to piss of Lucasarts, lest they hold it against you in future.
So, unless Mongoose can come up with an entirly new format to exploit I don't think we'll see much.

MaxSteiner said:
Wizkids managed to snatch the starwars rights from under WOtC's nose because, although WoTC had the rights to Starwars as miniatures game, and as a space ship miniatures game they DIDN'T have the rights to a plasticard construct your own miniatures game.

That's how I understand it too. Apparently Topps (WK's parent company) had a license for Star Wars trading cards--that is one of their core businesses, after all. So all WK did is release some trading cards for Star Wars. They just happen to be usable in a game. And some of them just happen to be very thick. And the thick ones just happen to be die-cut in various ways... :)

Im actually almost keen on that sort of move as well to be honest :D
That Pirates game, dispite being next to unplayable has some very nice pieces!

They're the company which made the Judge Dread and Rogue Trooper computer games.
When they approached 2000AD to buy the rights to Dread they discovered they could buy the entire company for a little bit more :D.
Basically Mongoose have a preferential relationship with them, and get to use their printing presses.

Rebellion is tops in my book. I love the Judge Dredd Complete Case Files series of books that collect all the Judge Dredd progs in one easy to read format. (Only wish they could reprint the Burger War Stories)

The Old Soldier said:
Rebellion is tops in my book. I love the Judge Dredd Complete Case Files series of books that collect all the Judge Dredd progs in one easy to read format. (Only wish they could reprint the Burger War Stories)

Did you see they're doing Nemesis and Strontium Dogs ones as well now?

yep, Strontium Dog, I'm most like will get. BUT, Dredd is my favorite. So far I have all 8 volumes. Now if I can just get my hands on the Burger War progs......

You can get the trades of the original Dredd stories from 2000AD directly from Rebellion. Just Goggle Rebellion Judge Dredd. Should give you the site. It is in England.

To expand on what TOS has said, Rebellion are a software publisher who own the 200AD comic franchise. As well as publishing 2000AD and the Judge Dredd megazine, they've reprinted a large chunk of their older strips in colelcted formats. With Dredd, they offer two lines - The Judge Dredd complete Case files, a series of large volumes containing roughly a year's worth of dredd strips in chronological order, printed in Black and White and on cheap paper; and also a series of smaller collections that contain one or two Dredd stories of note. They're B&W or colour where appropriate, printed on bette rpaper, and more expensive.

You can find more info at http://www.2000adonline.com/books/judge_dredd_origins.php

Back