S&P 1st Dec 06 Techno-Mages, 2nd Edition

Shadow Queen

Mongoose
Babylon 5: Techno-Mages, 2nd Edition
Everyone's favourite bald-headed dispensers of cryptic wisdom, updated for the new edition of the Babylon 5 roleplaying game.

Are you telling us

1) that the new S&P includes rules for Technomages in 2nd Edition

or

2) that the new S&P says that a real, printed 2nd Edition book about Technomages is coming next year?

hmmm have to wait till later to download it... I can't download over the weekend so I have to wait till monday... I've already got players interested in the class....

darn time zone differences....

Though the good news is that I'll be looking forward to work on Monday ;-)

Not really, from the, admittedly very glancing look, I gave it, it's basically new rules where the old ones don't work. Unless Mongoose is going to do this for every 1st edition supplement then they still have a long way to go. And even then it's replacement rather than conversion stats.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Not really, from the, admittedly very glancing look, I gave it, it's basically new rules where the old ones don't work. Unless Mongoose is going to do this for every 1st edition supplement then they still have a long way to go. And even then it's replacement rather than conversion stats.

LBH

I'd read it a bit closer mate, it includes very little in the way of NEW rules as far as the base class goes over so much of a re-working format wise so that the class that was can work in the new 2nd ed 10 level format.

Their will be some new approaches as far as certain aspects fo the techno-mages go if it all makes it into S&P including some entirely new material, it was a fairly lengthy submission I sent.

As for the other books we'll have to wait and see..

Thank you for the update to the Technomages! I saw the forum post on Friday, just as I was about to respond to the last Technomage thread, again wondering where the update was. Good timing.

Most of the things that were changed were the same as what my GM and I had come up with for the class, so I was pleased that no major changes were required. I only had a couple of differences:

1 - Pilot as a class skill. This is in the technomage base book, but not the S&P update. The technomages do get a ship as a class ability and the spells for the ship use the pilot skill bonus. Should this have been a class skill in S&P?

2 - Damaging Weapon (Pinace Spell). In the 1st ed book, the Pinace does 6d8 (48 max) damage with +6 damage per use of Damaging Weapon. In 2nd ed the ship does a flat 75 damage. This is roughly 2x the max of the original. I do not know how damage converts for space combat, but I was thinking the spell should add at least +10 damage rather than just +5 as S&P states. Does anyone who has more familiarity with space combat have any thoughts on this on?

3 - Bio Spaces for the Pinace (not in S&P or 1st ed). These could be one of the crafted add ons for the Pinace. I think they make sense and could be quite usefull to the little guy.

Other than those couple items, the update was wonderfull. It really made my Friday, especailly after our GM decided not to run that day. I look forwards to the next update. Hopefully something that will make prerequisites for spells easier to cross reference.

Keep up the great work!

-Dom

Neo said:
I'd read it a bit closer mate, it includes very little in the way of NEW rules as far as the base class goes over so much of a re-working format wise so that the class that was can work in the new 2nd ed 10 level format.

Yes, after rereading it closely I posted in the other main thread discussing it, I am much happier than my initial reaction. still a ways to go though.

LBH

3 - Bio Spaces for the Pinace (not in S&P or 1st ed). These could be one of the crafted add ons for the Pinace. I think they make sense and could be quite usefull to the little guy.

Technomages dont use Bio matter

Hi Dom

Gargoyle117 said:
1 - Pilot as a class skill. This is in the technomage base book, but not the S&P update. The technomages do get a ship as a class ability and the spells for the ship use the pilot skill bonus. Should this have been a class skill in S&P?

Correct, this was an accident on my part the original draft had the Pilot skill as a class skill, however during planning with the prestiges I removed it from the base class when I was pondering a variation on the format and later it seems forgot to replace it. The new Techno mage base class Should have Pilot as a class skill.

2 - Damaging Weapon (Pinace Spell). In the 1st ed book, the Pinace does 6d8 (48 max) damage with +6 damage per use of Damaging Weapon. In 2nd ed the ship does a flat 75 damage. This is roughly 2x the max of the original. I do not know how damage converts for space combat, but I was thinking the spell should add at least +10 damage rather than just +5 as S&P states. Does anyone who has more familiarity with space combat have any thoughts on this on?

Someone with familiarity with space combat... that would be me :) seeing as I was among those who playtested both systems for Mongoose heh. Damage maxes between editions dont really correlate like you suggest. A +5 offence bonus for a ship the size of the pinnace is ample, its weapon is already very damaging for such a small craft and can pretty much devastate a fair few craft in a few shots.

Id recommend checking out the Ship Builders manual as it explains spaces and thier relevance better than I could here. Also from a thematic standpoint I believe Shadow Queen has also posted on this matter.

Other than those couple items, the update was wonderfull. It really made my Friday, especailly after our GM decided not to run that day. I look forwards to the next update. Hopefully something that will make prerequisites for spells easier to cross reference.

Glad you enjoyed it Dom, I hope you like what is to come also.

Neo, thanks for the technomage conversion.

I wonder what we will see next.

The changes to the destruction spells let me guess, that we will get revised prestige classes and that the Destroyer will become a 5-level prestige class.

I think I can find the pinnace in the SotG book but if the cross reference is hidden elsewhere, a page no would be good thanks SQ.

LBH

Neo,

Thanks for the reply. I am glad to know that you also worked on the space combat rules. I feel much more comfortable with topics 2 and 3 now.

As Shadow Queen mentioned, the reference in Ships of the Galaxy has been driving me nuts. Referring to a 1e book that is no longer any good since the whole starship system was overhauled.

Are there any plans for more upgrades to the ship? A fellow player was suggesting I bolt on some other weapon, but that did not sit well with me. The Pinace is a bit beyond most of the things covered in Ship Builder's and should have some more of its own components.

A prestige class update would be great. Maybe a few additional ones if there is time or space. I'm looking forward to seeing what else is next.

Keep the updates coming!

Dom

Back