S&P 1st Dec 06 Techno-Mages, 2nd Edition

Hellhawk said:
And why on Earth would I want to re-train as a Kinetic Grimli if I'm a DESTROYER???....

I can't speak specifically to your example but the TechnoMage I currently play is scheduled to become a Destroyer then a Pensive Croanati (in my mental outline of how he will advance and grow given what I know of the setting Im playing in). The path I see unfolding before him is one in which he sees the massive destruction he is potentialy capable of unleashing and flees to the more structured less aggressive prestige class.

There are many in-game reasons why a person might be a Destroyer and re-train as a Grimli.... quite frankly I wouldn't want to just be remembered as a massive blast-canon and that's what being a Destroyer sort of makes you. There are fewer mechanic reasons to make that kind of switch but those decisions shouldn't be based on mechanics... they should reflect the nature and growth of the character.

Just think of changing prestige classes as gaining an opportunity to learn something different, especially if they did not like what was down the other path of learning.

Now in some D&D games, characters have been force to train to level, and you could only learn from someone higher (or equal) to yourself and if they were not available, you were forced to wait or level as something else... this is an old rarely used was of levelling, but its concepts can be placed on technomages learning from those who have gone before...

And added things was you could learn without a teacher, but it took longer and required a place to study...

I'm no really concerned with WHY I would want to switch classes - I'm concerned with the fact that I HAVE TO switch classes at all.

For my taste, it (the "halving" of class levels) is a rules concept that pushes the "eveybody changes" idea of the show too far down my throat and forces me to re-invent my character every once in a while even if I don't want to.

(Not that our campaign is likely to get to levels beyond 15 anytime soon, but it's the principle of the thing that irks me.)

Rainer

I compared the techno-mage 1st edition class from the book and the conversion article from Signs & Portents.

In 1st edition Techno-Mage have Drive as class skill.
In 2nd edition, they have Operation (any ?, this is not precised) but not Pilot however the Techno-Mage Pinnace has only one pilot, so it is the Pilot Skill logically which should be used.

What is the correct class skill option :
  • keep Operation (any) and add Pilot as class Skill ?
  • replace Operation (any) by Pilot as class skill ?

Faënril said:
I compared the techno-mage 1st edition class from the book and the conversion article from Signs & Portents.

In 1st edition Techno-Mage have Drive as class skill.
In 2nd edition, they have Operation (any ?, this is not precised) but not Pilot however the Techno-Mage Pinnace has only one pilot, so it is the Pilot Skill logically which should be used.

What is the correct class skill option :
  • keep Operation (any) and add Pilot as class Skill ?
  • replace Operation (any) by Pilot as class skill ?

It is indeed Operation (any), as in it can be taken multiple times as pilot is an Operations skill as is driving in second edition.

Back