[Runequest Questions] after a read-through of the rulebook.

Melkor

Mongoose
The armor penalties stated for the various armors on p.39 are listed as affecting the following skills:

Acrobatics
Athletics
Craft
Dance
Dodge
Martial Arts
Meachnisms
Riding
Runecasting
Stealth
Throwing
Unarmed
All Weapon Skills

My question is:

Shouldn't a Chainmail Coif (-5%), Heavy Leather Cap (-2%), Hemlet (-4%) or Full Helm (-6%) also affect the character's Perception skill ?

Just a thought, but it's something that I will probably house rule into my RQ games.

Another question (well, two actually):

If a character Dodges a succesful incoming attack, and the results shows that the defender is 'Forced to Give Ground'.

The 'Giving Ground' section on P.50 states that "A character forced to Give Ground immediately retreats his Movement directly away from the attacker".

My questions are:

Does this apply to dodging missile attacks or just melee attacks ?
If both, I'm assuming that 'giving ground' is trying to get out of the way of the incoming missile fire as opposed to backing up under the weight of an enemy's blow.

Also, does the Movement you use when Giving Ground count as one of your actions, or is it 'free' as part of the Reaction ?

Thanks.

One more question after continued read-through:

The "Damage Modifier" heading on P.53 of the rulebook (for Ranged Attacks) states that a character's damage modifier "may or may not apply to a ranged weapon's damage", then goes on to say "Whether a ranged weapon applies a character's damage modifier is listed in it's statistical entry in the Ranged Weapons table, page 37.".

Unfortunately (and maybe it's just me because it's late and I'm not firing on all cylinders), I can't seem to find any indication on the table on P.37 as to which weapons apply the damage modifier.

Am I missing something ?

Edit to Add: I may have just answered my own question.
Although the text I quoted from page 53 above states that the table on p.37 lists which weapons apply the damage modifier, and I didn't see anything to indicate that on p.37, the actual listing on P. 5 that describes what the Damage Modifer (DM) is does state:

"The Damage Modifier applies whenver the character uses a melee or thrown weapon."

That seems to clear it up.

Melkor said:
The armor penalties stated for the various armors on p.39 are listed as affecting the following skills:

Acrobatics
Athletics
Craft
Dance
Dodge
Martial Arts
Meachnisms
Riding
Runecasting
Stealth
Throwing
Unarmed
All Weapon Skills

My question is:

Shouldn't a Chainmail Coif (-5%), Heavy Leather Cap (-2%), Hemlet (-4%) or Full Helm (-6%) also affect the character's Perception skill ?

Just a thought, but it's something that I will probably house rule into my RQ games.

Yes. I think this is realistic.

Unfortunately (and maybe it's just me because it's late and I'm not firing on all cylinders), I can't seem to find any indication on the table on P.37 as to which weapons apply the damage modifier.

Actually I was thrown by that and I found on reading the descriptions it actually states explicitly in the descriptions of the Blowgun and all the Crossbows that the STR damage modifier does not apply. I'm guessing that it was originally planned to be included on the table, but got relegated to the descriptions without the references being updated.

Naughty! Slapped Wrists!!![/quote]

Back