Rune synergy

Sigtrygg

Emperor Mongoose
Has anyone had any ideas about integrating more than one rune at a time and gaining different abilities?

A legendary ability, enchantment, or cult membership may be a pre-requisite.

No, differnt runes at the same time.

In RQ2 the runes are clasified into elements, forms, conditions, and powers.

I had the thought that if you combined them on integration you may end up with different abilities.

There would be lots of different ways to combine them:

element + form

element + condition

element + power

element + form + condition

element + form + power

element + condition + power

element + form + condition + power

form + condition etc.

condition +power etc.

Within Runequest that is the basis for the origins of almost every living thing

man+plant = Elf
man+chaos = ogre
man+darkness = troll
plant+darkness = fungus
beat+air = bird
beast+plant+chaos = Jack O bear
beast+darkness = invertabrate
man+water = merfolk
man+plant+water = blue elf (Murthdrya)
man+earth+stasis = dwarf
(which is why trolls like to eat dwarves - they go to the trolls "rock-stomach" and have a wonderful melt-in-the-mouth sensation!)

good thinking.

I guess the most obvious way is with spells - i liked the way befuddle varies according to if you are combining disorder and man or disorder and beast. That would surely work with others.

Death and Metal - Truesword

Spirit and Mastery - Bind spirit

etc...

Birds are associated with the fire rune.

Fire/Sky if we want to be pedantic :D (Yelmalio, which does have mythic associations with birds as well as Yelm , lost the fire rune but still possesses the sky rune - its all great stuff)

PS don't mention Elmal - I did once but i think i got away with it...

zanshin said:
Birds are associated with the fire rune.

Fire/Sky if we want to be pedantic :D (Yelmalio, which does have mythic associations with birds as well as Yelm , lost the fire rune but still possesses the sky rune - its all great stuff)

Heat, Sky and Light are for splitters. Only the Fire rune is real. :lol:

zanshin said:

Watch it buddy.

I've got my eye on you.

Nice idea to produce similar spells through different rune types, or to change spells by using different runes as their focus.

You could imagine a matrix of rune combinations that give varied outcome or intensities.

The basic runic medialian.."I WILL GRASP MY RUNIC PIECE OF BARK AND BEGIN THE INCANTATION).. (yawn) is the basis of something that could be extremely interesting...

...... maybe (dare I say it) a free form type of magic use?

CHRIS

PS..all very exciting, and can we burn the poster who suggested halflings in MRQ?...please!

Back