[Rumor] Conan 2nd Ed to use Runequest system?

Enpeze said:
There are some problems in the new edition this is correct. But they are just minor. Only a small but very vocal group of negs in the RQ forum seems to have a problem with it. So no reason to stay clear of MRQ.

I dunno, the problem with skills over 100% seems pretty major to me, since its a rule that will be used from early to mid campaign. House rules for this have already begun flying around.

Also, the severely erroneous armour table is kind of a turnoff for me too.

Perhaps a Runequest Atlantean Edition will save your bacon :p

quigs said:
Enpeze said:
There are some problems in the new edition this is correct. But they are just minor. Only a small but very vocal group of negs in the RQ forum seems to have a problem with it. So no reason to stay clear of MRQ.

I dunno, the problem with skills over 100% seems pretty major to me, since its a rule that will be used from early to mid campaign. House rules for this have already begun flying around.

Well, maybe they're just waiting to release RuneQuest v2.0: the 3.x d20 system! :p

Bregales said:
quigs said:
Enpeze said:

Well, maybe they're just waiting to release RuneQuest v2.0: the 3.x d20 system! :p

Oh we have already 4 versions of RQ, dont worry.
In each version of it there have been some mistakes and bad rules. So in MRQ too. But as I said these are just minor.
Personally I dont like the 100%+ rule because I am belong more to the "linear" faction. But others (especially many younger players) love it because it speeds up play. The rule was a design decision of Matt Sprange and it is not broken.

All in all the new MRQ is a fine game. It has everything the older versions had (except general hitpoints :)), is more cinematic than those and easier to play. And its bloody realistic too. Chopping heads and arms is nice (except you are on the receiving end of course) and remembers me to the combat descriptions in many conan-stories.

I checked in briefly, and there definitely appeared to be some fixes that needed to be resolved to enable playability for RQ - I have enough of those in the games I play currently, so I'm skipping RQ for the indefinite term.

Enpeze said:
All in all the new MRQ is a fine game. It has everything the older versions had (except general hitpoints :)), is more cinematic than those and easier to play. And its bloody realistic too. Chopping heads and arms is nice (except you are on the receiving end of course) and remembers me to the combat descriptions in many conan-stories.

Things like limb removal might be interesting momentarily, but aren't particularly necessary or good in an RPG. The GM can describe someone's massive strike as amputatory in nature without location rolls or HP to dictate such, and just leave it at that. Further, PCs will not like having such occur to them, and that just leads to problems - either it happens and the PC is irked, or it doesn't happen because the GM fudges the rolls too much. Finally, heroes (including sword & sorcery), whether Conan, Fafhrd & the Grey Mouser, etc. etc. don't lose limbs, it's not really part of the general nor particularly "heroic" even in a S&S setting, so it's really an unnecessary and potentially problematic mechanic.

Plus, players tend to get......discouraged.....when thier arms and legs start getting lopped off.

If I want to chop limbs off, I'll play MERP or Hârnmaster. They're much better, in my opinion. At least at first glance. The only upside to RQ is that it'll probably be better supported than either of those two games (the former being out of circulation and the latter just being darn tough to find).

Reminds me of ICE's Middle Earth Role-Playing game, another d100 game where anyone (players and/or GM) could and often did, roll a result of something like "Arrow pierces eye, you die immediately" or "You trip on a toenail, fall on a rock which cracks your skull and you die of brain trauma"

Well, if that ain't what every character yearns for, I dunno what is. 8)

Maybe some day I'll pick this up, just to try to kill every duck I can find, but for the next few years I'll happily skip it.

Bregales said:
Reminds me of ICE's Middle Earth Role-Playing game, another d100 game where anyone (players and/or GM) could and often did, roll a result of something like "Arrow pierces eye, you die immediately" or "You trip on a toenail, fall on a rock which cracks your skull and you die of brain trauma"

Maybe some day I'll pick this up, just to try to kill every duck I can find, but for the next few years I'll happily skip it.

Well, I hope it will have the same fun factor for you if MRQ conan replaces d20 conan next year. :)

Bregales said:

Yep. MERP was ugly combat, but a quite elegant system. My favorite critical off that huuuuuge table was one for a massive, blunt weapon crit wher eit descibed it roughly as "driving the foe's jaw upward into the base of his skull and penetrating his brain, killing him instantly."

The flip side was that the same "jaw in brain" hit could happen to a PC too, and that was always just a wee bit too deadly for most players... :shock:

Here is a link to a PDF of the Hârnmaster combat sheet. It's really all you need to understand the system. I'm not advocating everyone drop what they're doing and run out and track down Hârnmaster (lol) but, hey...it's my favorite, and since we're all tossing out what system we think is best/better/worse than D20 Conan I might as well get in step. Hârnmaster is entirely percentile, and characters will have a 00 score for individual weapons as well as rope use or whatever.

See, you roll percentile versus your opponent's percentile and consult the chart. Anythin rolled ending in a "00" or "05" is a "Critical", whether it is below your percentile stat for the weapon/weapon group (success) or above it (failure). Thus CS = Critical Succes, MS = Minor Success, MF = Minor Failure and CF = Critical Failure.

We'll stick to the first box for a moment. I choose to ATTACK and my opponent chooses to BLOCK. We both roll percentile. If I get a MS and he gets a MF, I succeed at my strike and my opponent takes 1 die of damage (A*1 = Attacker advantage, 1die impact). Now, this game doesn't use Hit Points, it uses "Impact", so I now consult the location table, roll percentile depending on where I want to swing (which I usually made people decide before they rolled anything), and then the "Impact" die (d6) is rolled to determine the extent of the actual damage.

Say I aimed high, roll that 1d6 impact result above and generate a 32 off the location chart for 4 Impact. That's a blow to the neck (!) but it's not yet in the "5+" collumn, so my opponent suffers a Minor Wound.

The actual wound system is just as logical, but I don't want to go through an entire essay on Hârnmaster here. Suffice to say that Wound Points deplete sort of like HP, but it also factors in fatigue, and both Wounds and Fatigue adversely affect every physical skill you have. The number there after S and G indicate direct END damage, and, yes, when it's gone, you are dead, but also each time that happens you have to save to not be knocked out or stunned or whatever.

It's super easy, but super brutal.

have anybody seen this? Could this be RuneQuest Conan?

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1349&qsSeries=39

Hyborian Adventures :)

Well that sucks, blows dog, is a lousy but expected turn of events, you get the picture.

I think I'll just stop getting Mongoose stuff. Was a fun ride while it lasted.

Bregales said:
Well that sucks, blows dog, is a lousy but expected turn of events, you get the picture.

I think I'll just stop getting Mongoose stuff. Was a fun ride while it lasted.

It's just a Hyborian sourcebook for RQ, not Conan 2nd Edition with RQ rules :)

AFAIK the d20 Conan is still "the" Conan RPG.

If that's so, then I apologize for flying off - there's nothing in the description for the product to indicate what it is despite it's title, which sounded more like the next product in the series than a conversion book.

Anyways, thanks. :oops:

There's currently three products listed in the existing Conan range still to come out, so while I don't know for sure what's happening I'd say it's likely they would have cut those from the release list if the system were changing.

"d20" Conan sells pretty well compared to a lot of d20 RPGs so I reckon it's safe to say it'll be around for a while yet, if not Mongoose probably wouldn't be putting money into printing more supplements.

To the best of my knowledge the RQ book is just an additional sourcebook for those RQers that want to play Conan with RQ rules, and hopefully keeping everyone happy by not dropping the existing system and converting it all over :)

I'd also expect a Conan 2nd Edition to be labelled as such, and in the Conan line rather than the RQ line, with RQ rules integrated in the same way the existing version has the d20 ruleset - when you see that product advertised then it'll be time to worry ;)

As a recent RQ convert myself I love the RQ system, but I'd still hate to see a successful line change systems and leave the existing players out in the cold. As it is, I believe most RQ players interested in Hyborian campaigns are talking about grabbing this new sourcebook and various "d20" Conan background books, which ought to work out pretty well. It'll be interesting to see what exactly the RQ Hyborian Adventures has within it's cover.

Enpeze said:
have anybody seen this? Could this be RuneQuest Conan?

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1349&qsSeries=39

Hyborian Adventures :)
My guess it could be related to the line of books that are out set in Hyboria...

Yeah, Breagles. I know it's early, but put down whatever caffinated beverage you're imbibing, my friend. (lol)

All the evidence points to a Hyborian supplement to use instead of the regular RQ campaing setting. Believe me, I was irate at the start of this thread too, but I can neither see Mongoose shooting themselves in the foot by dropping the D20 version, nor can I see an entire RQ based Conan line right away.

8)

Sutek said:
Yeah, Breagles. I know it's early, but put down whatever caffinated beverage you're imbibing, my friend. (lol)

All the evidence points to a Hyborian supplement to use instead of the regular RQ campaing setting. Believe me, I was irate at the start of this thread too, but I can neither see Mongoose shooting themselves in the foot by dropping the D20 version, nor can I see an entire RQ based Conan line right away.

8)
LMAO, I'm on my 6th cup of coffee at work, working on the annual reports at work! :lol:

Back