[Rumor] Conan 2nd Ed to use Runequest system?

Oh yeah, that's right! Make my own because I refuse to pay $5 for Starbucks every day and I make mine stronger than they do anyways. :lol:

Are you really making coffee?

Are you sure you aren't just eating it by the spoonfull and counting that as 6 "cups"?

I think the latter. If that'll end this thread, then I'm all for it at this point...

lol

Subversive behavior, I'll admit, but 25 pages of unfounded "I predict" is a bit much. But rather than start beating that horse, I decided to make my attack through humor....and at your expense, of course.

:p

Oooooooohhh Kaaaaaaayyyyyy (whinnie) --

mr-ed.jpg
8)

Since we are whining...I would switch to RQ Conan if that would mean no more dancing pig avatars. Ah the days when that ugly thing wasn't around. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like Mongoose is going to even convert Slaine into Runequest as well as Conan:

Matt Sprange wrote:

Hi there,

We are not working on the Horned Lord at this time. However, we are
seriously looking at a new edition of Slaine, using the new RuneQuest
rules.

Hope that helps!

Matthew

I've just about had it with Mongoose. Period. :evil:
After Argos & Zingara and maybe Shem, I'm gonna jump ship and patronize another publisher.
I just hope that those two books are not going to be written in Runequest rules.

Well, in that case, it seems a lot more like a total re-write and re-vamp for Slaine, goin gentirely away from D20 and fully into RQ.

I think it's pretty clear that the Hyboria thing is jsut going ot be a campaign book that can be used with the RQ rules, but I'd still think that the D20 Conan sales will keep them from dropping that line in favor of an all RQ version.

Thanks Sutek, that may be. I'm not sure whether to laugh at Strom's remark above or get pissed off, but I think he was stating his opinion of the stupit dancing pig above in mirth so I'll 'fess up to Dean (the pig avatar). Dean comes from a comic strip I used to enjoy reading, "Liberty Meadows". I always hated that macarena dance, and Dean represents the type of male I detest: a male cheauvinist, chain-smoking, always drunk alcoholic frat boy who constantly hits on hot girls and always gets his face punched in. :lol: Anyways, the perfect avatar, everything I can't stand. :lol:

Okay, I haven't even looked at these message boards in weeks so I just got reactionary when I read the post a few above; but whatever the future of Mongooses production for this game, I think that what they've released has been well-intentioned, even if it's support has waned after the first couple releases. They made some monumental screwups with a good number of their product releases, but they didn't display a flippant attitude. Just asked another group if they'd be interested in the occassional Conan game and will start trying to prep for the once-in-a-while adventure, so will probably look in on the forums from time to time. And I'll consider changing the avatar, Strom, but can't promise anything! :lol:

I'm just ribbing ya Bregales! It's a damn ugly avatar but I meant no disrespect to you, I just hate it! :lol:

I wonder if the 'Goose will play both sides of the fence and then suddenly switch to just RQ Conan and be done with OGL/D20. This could be the start of that. I wonder if the Age of Conan miniatures game will reflect RQ's skirmisher/mass battles rules or be closer to D20. If we knew that, it would go a long way to knowing the future of Conan OGL. But, AoC isn't coming out until summer 2007.

Strom said:
I wonder if the 'Goose will play both sides of the fence and then suddenly switch to just RQ Conan and be done with OGL/D20. This could be the start of that. I wonder if the Age of Conan miniatures game will reflect RQ's skirmisher/mass battles rules or be closer to D20. If we knew that, it would go a long way to knowing the future of Conan OGL. But, AoC isn't coming out until summer 2007.

My guess here is: if Conan D20 keeps selling, they'll keep making products for it. If the RQ Conan stuff sells they could do more for that. If both sell they could keep doing both, or start dual-statting books (the 5% or so of a book that is actual rules shouldn't matter too much if they cover both systems). It's kinda like the arguments over the SST miniatures game - if a product is selling well it doesn't get changed, when it isn't then things obviously have to be shaken up radically, possibly upsetting the previous audience. The end decision is probably out of Mongoose's hands - if D20 Conan continues to sell there's no real reason for them to drop the underlying system in favour of another. Slaine on the other hand apparently didn't do that well, so it makes sense to try it another way and see if that does any better.

As for AoC, it could be a whole new system or maybe even fantasy rules based on the SST/BF Evo mechanics (the latter is possible, I've got a fantasy project in draft using SST mechanics and it doesn't appear to have any problems) - depending on the miniatures it could even be Mighty Armies rules.

Thanks. :lol:

I've been wondering the same thing about how they'll play out this game's line of releases, and I agree that it would go a long way to knowing.

Anyways, gotta get back to the minutia annoying part of work, now that I got the easy part done.

Till later, (whenever that comes, but probably not before sooner arrives better but later means more time in between, and stuff). :p

I think Mongoose probably wants to take Conan the RQ route but is reluctant to do so for fear of alienating the Conan RPG fans. It may be they'll try to straddle the fence and do dual-statted books. (Total speculation - could this be the reason some of the Conan releases have been delayed?)

I think they're playing a waiting game. The response to the rumor appears to have been pretty poorly received by us Conan RPG diehards (25 pages of posts and counting!). If sales of RQ (or perhaps more accurately the Hyborian Adventures conversion book) are strong enough, and Conan sales decline they'll probably feel safe enough making the switch. I think this is desire to take Conan RQ exclusively is highly likely since Mongoose has not provided a definitive answer on the subject.

I'm hopeful that this will not come to pass. It is unlikely RQ will rival d20 in terms of popularity any time soon, if ever. Since Mongoose is providing multiple settings for RQ, it's doubtful every RQ fan is collecting all of the books unless they're more into collecting a complete set than seeing a particular setting expand. I also don't anticipate Conan sales declining so long as the quality of the supplements remains high.

Ultimately, it'll come down to a business decision on their part, but a definitive word one way or the other would be nice. While I obviously want Mongoose to be successful, I'm hoping the Conan RPG (and not some RQ version) will be around and in print for many, many years.

Azgulor

Sorry to be jumping into this thread/debate kinda late but I'm still relatively new around here.

When people talk about the RQ system... is that the system (or something very much like it) that is used by Chaosium for 5th Ed. CoC (not the d20 version obviously)?

The one where you have Occupation Skill points based on EDU (20x Edu) and Personal Skill points based on INT (10x Int)?

Also the one where your Occupation skills were dependant upon the specific Occupation you chose at the start (ie. you could only spend the 20x EDU skill points on about 7-8 Occupation specific skills to raise the percentages)?

Conan-the-Librarian said:
When people talk about the RQ system... is that the system (or something very much like it) that is used by Chaosium for 5th Ed. CoC (not the d20 version obviously)?

It's developed from the same root.

Conan-the-Librarian said:
The one where you have Occupation Skill points based on EDU (20x Edu) and Personal Skill points based on INT (10x Int)?

Also the one where your Occupation skills were dependant upon the specific Occupation you chose at the start (ie. you could only spend the 20x EDU skill points on about 7-8 Occupation specific skills to raise the percentages)?
That's CoC-specific (or BRP-specific maybe), and not present within RQ. The RQ skill system moves to a background/profession-based system (you get certain adds to skills depending upon which background and starting profession you select) plus some bonus free points to spend on top.

Obviously future RQ-derived games (seeing as Mongoose have released it under the OGL there will probably be a few, just as we saw the explosion in d20 material when D&D opened up under the OGL) may change those rules to whatever fits the setting (there's a few ideas for modern skill systems based upon education and training floating around)

Its rather CoC only. I cannot remember any other BRP game which had EDU. MRQ uses instead of EDU just a number of skills (with fixed % boni) from which you can choose in order to develope your character.

While MRQ has some minor rule problems, its perfectly capable to portray the conan world in all its cruel glory and is a much better choice than d20, IMO.

I am really looking forward to Hyborian Adventures powered by RuneQuest. (yeah!)

swinebread said:
I'm just wondering if I should buy anymore Conan stuff or wait for the new version? :(

I am not sure if it is a "new version" of conan. But surely it is a version with MRQ rules. I am posing myself the same question. I dont like to have laying around redundant material from the older d20 line and from a new MRQ line.

swinebread said:
I'm just wondering if I should buy anymore Conan stuff or wait for the new version? :(

Keep buying. The new version is the same kind of rumor as 'Squats back in Warhammer 40k' or 'Duke Nukem Forever is coming out this year'.

Back