[Rumor] Conan 2nd Ed to use Runequest system?

I think mesuring it on systems isen't particually telling.

I don't think you can dispute that more books are sold about class based systems than none class based ones.

However, thats still missing the point. Which is would more people be happy with the change than people who would be upset by it?

There are probably more classless systems out there than anything else. D20 is the predominant class-based system, and, for the life of me, I can't think of a class-based game that isn't D20 or OGL. Alternity, Cyberpunk and Shadowrun are about the only ones that spring to mind.

However, I think the discussion has drifted off the path a bit. This was spawned out of the "rumor" that Mongoose was planning to scrap Conan D20 and start publishing Conan materials using the RQ system. I feel that would be a very poor decision solely based on the marketing and all that. They'd be counting on RQ having enough inherent strength to carry the Conan liscence beyond what they've done with the D20 version, and I don't think that can be done at this stage with all the supplementary material they have already provided. They'd be asking people that have spent hundreds of dollars already on Conan D20 product to chuck it all and start over, unless of course they are fine with no longer getting any new D20 material.

Now, one thing that Hârnmaster did was to simply compromise. They republished all thier previous materials and thier new materials with D20 info included. It was both the standard D100%, classless system printed with D20 stuff in sidebars.

I'd prefer that Mongoose either choose to publish under both systems, or to stick with D20. Love it or hate it, it's the market leader right now, and that probably won't change any time soon, or even after D&D 4.X unless Wizards pulls a White Wolf and screws the pooch on the re-vamp.

Since we're staying off-topic, here are three other class/level systems:

Alternity
Earthdawn
HARP

Another that employs the concept in a more unique fashion is Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. Careers are approx. equal to your class. The number of careers you have under your belt are comparable to level.

Azgulor

I would argue that Spacemaster/Rolemaster/MERP/and maybe HARP count as one system...to the extent that OD&D/AD&D/2E/3xE/D20 do anyways.

I also wouldnt say that Whitewolf games use classes but I can see where you are coming from.

There are alot of class systems out there...Palladium is probably the biggest non D20 one currently inprint but there are alot of others...there is a world of darkness-y type game series out that uses a class level system but its name escapes me at the moment.

I really think both systems have their merits and their flaws...bashing one or the other makes about as much sense as bashing food you dont like. Honest discussion is one thing, the whole "my system rocks, your system sucks" bit seems pretty counterproductive to me.

On the other hand this *is* the internet so perhaps I'm out of line here ;)

Corwyn

Corwyn said:
I really think both systems have their merits and their flaws...bashing one or the other makes about as much sense as bashing food you dont like. Honest discussion is one thing, the whole "my system rocks, your system sucks" bit seems pretty counterproductive to me.

Totally agree. I couldn't have cared less what system I found Conan in or what system worked best for me and my group. It just so happens that Conan D20 is both and it's a damn shame that Mongoose are considering wating all that time and money (mine and theirs.).

I think that's the real issue here: Should they do it period; is switching systems a good idea? The system is largely irrelevant, as long as the game and the system go hand in hand. The real "poke in the eye" here is that they've gone with D20 and formed a great line here. I've invested as have others. Plus, D20 is the market leader, and that means cross compatibility with other D20 products, even though the truly hard-core Conan-ites out there find that kind of talk heresy.

Hello Folks,

Thulsa, as so far as to whether the OGL license can be yanked, altered, folded, spindled, or mutilated or whether Mongoose can continue to print OGL if WOC did end it is beyond me. Didn't care as so far as the info I was putting forward; it was a rumor after all all. I was not proposing an arguement, but just putting forward a theory, nothing more. You seem to know more than I at this point so no arguement is needed as I do not even begin to claim to understand commercial licensing law. To be fair, most don't know the difference between OGL and D20 lisences and so I must reevaluate the rumor based on your comment.

Jadrax has a valid point (and one we ALL follow anyway), and I don't argue with it as so far as it goes (buy what you don't like, not on my salary!). However my point was different not made clear so Jadrax, your misunderstanding is my fault (I scratched my head myself a few days later). Here is my arguement in a more deatailed fashion.
The majority of the better and more creative companies out there are smaller companies like Mongoose, and this is a shallow market these days. So, until we know for sure WHY Mongoose MAY change it's system we should withhold judgement, and until then buy what we can and support one of the better companies out there.
This for several reasons. If Mongoose IS acting as a bunch of materialistic weasels (if so they are idiots) then we have what we need to keep playing the version we prefer. However If Mongoose is stapped for cash due to lisencing fees, yanking of the license, market forces or whatever (I've no idea but economics are a cold @#$^&) then we whine and moan as the spoiled fanboys we are and gird our loins and move on. Maybe (gasp!) Mongoose thinks this will be a better system or is making it the house system so as to be independent to any potential legal shenanigans from WOC. Either way it IS their right and maybe they're on to something, thy've been batting a pretty good average so far.

So what do we do? Dump Mongoose if need be or suck it up and buy the new game (if such happens at all) to see how it is, and then dump 'em. Me, I buy the knew game. I may not like the system or maybe I do, but I routinely use or throw out systems, or parts of them, anyway. So? No big deal to me.
At this point I argue this: Sit on the fence, see what happens, put out feelers to se what news there is, and take action when it's warrented. But above all remember this: Mongoose is NOT WOC and does care about us if for no other reason than a small RPG company needs to keep it's fanboys (and girls) happy. They must do good product and any change that may upset us is thus never made likey. So lets see if this rumor pans out and why if it does.[/quote]

Hello Folks,

Okay, new rumors are a-floating around. I got a E-mail from a gaming buddy from Chicago who has proven reliable more or less in the past. Apparently he's found out that Hasbro is (according to scuttlebut) preparing to release a 4th (!) ed. D&D in the near future. In addition to this they will be yanking ALL (my emphasis) gaming licenses in order to kill 3.5. I have asked him for further info if he can get it, but will not be hearing from him for several days (normal, he's a very busy office drone). This does jive with I've heard however, so anyone who can let us all in on how this would affect the OGL in a legal capacity please inform us.
Yeesh, a freakin 4th edition! :roll:

Ltlconf said:
Hello Folks,

Okay, new rumors are a-floating around. I got a E-mail from a gaming buddy from Chicago who has proven reliable more or less in the past. Apparently he's found out that Hasbro is (according to scuttlebut) preparing to release a 4th (!) ed. D&D in the near future. In addition to this they will be yanking ALL (my emphasis) gaming licenses in order to kill 3.5. I have asked him for further info if he can get it, but will not be hearing from him for several days (normal, he's a very busy office drone). This does jive with I've heard however, so anyone who can let us all in on how this would affect the OGL in a legal capacity please inform us.
Yeesh, a freakin 4th edition! :roll:

:shock: How could WotC yank all the licenses? I'd imagine that would be a legal nightmare for them to collar all offenders in court, right?
I'm no legal beagle, but that sounds like capturing the water thimble-full at a time after a dam-break.

Check out www.montecook.com and look for Monte's journals. He's got 2 articles on the d20 license and OGL. Since he's a former WotC employee and current publisher of d20 and OGL material, I'll go out on a limb and say he knows what he's talking about.

Bottom line, as I understand it.

d20 License - WotC can pull it.

OGL - WotC CAN'T do a damn thing about it.

http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mc_los_155

Since Conan is an OGL game (as is B5, Lone Wolf, Starship Troopers, and the OGL series --- Mongoose caught the distinction early!), there doesn't need to be any impact to the Conan RPG when WotC releases a 4E.

Azgulor

Azgulor said:
Check out www.montecook.com and look for Monte's journals. He's got 2 articles on the d20 license and OGL. Since he's a former WotC employee and current publisher of d20 and OGL material, I'll go out on a limb and say he knows what he's talking about.

Bottom line, as I understand it.

d20 License - WotC can pull it.

OGL - WotC CAN'T do a damn thing about it.

http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mc_los_155

Since Conan is an OGL game (as is B5, Lone Wolf, Starship Troopers, and the OGL series --- Mongoose caught the distinction early!), there doesn't need to be any impact to the Conan RPG when WotC releases a 4E.

Azgulor

Excellent couple of articles by Monty - thanks for the link Azgulor!

Yeah, thanks for the link, Az!
As I supposed OGL is irrevocable, like Monty wrote.
I would rather the brains at Wizards think hard, spend several years and come up with an absolutely brilliant new way of playing RPG, something whose rules-architecture is so solid (and maybe innovatively simpler perhaps?) that it could stand for a decade, rather than being pressured by Hasbro, or the RPG market in general, etc. and rushing to produce a shoddy, ill-conceived 4.0 version.

As a side-bar, I was surprised to hear Monty say that Cry Havoc was a disappointment for Malhavoc. :( It's a great, well-written mass combat book.

Personally speaking when Mongoose first released Conan the only reason I did not purchase it was because it was D20. If the new edition is D20 I will not purchase it but if it uses another system (either the proposed Runequest system or another) then I plan on at least purchasing the core rules to give it a try.

I am not a D20 fan but that is just me. If you like D20 I do not have a problem with that.

Jason

I thought that was the reason why the whole conan series is NOT D20.
It is OGL.

You won't find a single reference to D20 or any D20 logo on the whole thing.look at the back, it says OGL not D20.

This means that even without a D20 licence it is still safe.

You will notice that there are NO references to any of the D&D core books in the thing, everything is from scratch.

Yes, but I am under the impression that it used the D20 game system. For example it has hit points, levels, classes, etc...

If this is not the case I will take another look at it. Otherwise, then I will wait until the second edition is released to take a look at it.

Jason

As I understand things, the concern over the pending 4th edition is not about legal issues, but about the disappearance of a fan base for D20/OGL products. Most gamers will simply follow D&D wherever it goes and if WotC doesn't make 4th edition open game content, then other game companies that rely on D20 will increasingly be relying on selling a product which will appear "outdated." That is the reason that companies that have primarily relied on D20 are looking toward their own house systems.

I was not aware of WOTC making a 4th edition of D&D. I figured it would probably happened many more years down the road but not this soon. Do you have any info?

Jason

Back