[Rumor] Conan 2nd Ed to use Runequest system?

Ashigaru

Mongoose
Found this on RPG.net here:

"Mongoose announced (or at least, were telling people who came by the booth) that Conan second edition will be Runequest, but they will not be reprinting all the sourcebooks; rather they'll release a complete and free update document online that will bring everything in line with the Runequest system (which they are also releasing under the OGL)."

Can anyone verify this?

I'm cautiously optimistic, myself (assuming the rumor is true). Compatibility with Lankhmar would be a plus, and Runequest shares a lot of similarity with the BRP rules system, which is one of my favorites. I'm not sure I'd want to change systems in the middle of a campaign, though.

Still, I'm somewhat skeptical about the supposed comprehensive rules conversion document to be posted online, given Mongoose's record in this area. There still hasn't been a true listing of the promised Conan first printing/Atlantean edition differences, and I still haven't gotten the Shadizar map I requested 9 months ago...

While I love what D20 Conan did for D20, and I've been having a great time playing in a couple of campaigns, I am actually really happy to hear this (if it is accurate).

It would be a good thing, I never liked d20 anyway, though I admit feats are a great improvement.

Thats bad news in my book :( , i like d20 conan. That would bring to a screeching halt my buying conan books. I have no interest in the RQ system. /shrug

I also am very fond of d20 Conan. I know nothing of Runequest at all. It sounds like the end of the Conan line. :shock: :cry:
I know the d20 system is complicated, but after having spent 5-6 years learning it, I would not be able to stomach abandoning it for anything else. Call me stubborn...

That seems like a very significant change and perhaps one that might require permission from the Conan licensor, as presumably the licensor's income is dependent on sales, and sales may well be impacted by such a change. It seems to make more sense to provide a rules set for Conan in that system, e.g., as little as conversion notes or as much as a full base book, rather than changing the system when you have so much already invested in the current setup, so I doubt this is happening until I see an official post on the matter.

Yogah of Yag said:
I also am very fond of d20 Conan. I know nothing of Runequest at all. It sounds like the end of the Conan line. :shock: :cry:
I know the d20 system is complicated, but after having spent 5-6 years learning it, I would not be able to stomach abandoning it for anything else. Call me stubborn...

One of the beauties of RQ is that it wouldn't require 5-6 years to learn it. It's always been a very logical system that is easy to pick up in an evening or two. It would also have the advantage of actually having the right feel for the world of Conan. Since you know nothing about it, I'd at least encourage checking it out before writing it off.

Of course, all of this is based off an unsubstantiated rumour and all of my comments come from old versions of RQ since the new one hasn't even been released yet. It does look like it'll keep the same basic feel from the previews, so differences will be in the details, not in the overall feel and function of the system.

I have doubts over whether Mongoose would completely abandon d20 support for Conan, myself. However, it would get me to at least look at them if there was a RQ variant. I'm stubborn myself and have refused for 20+ years to deal with anything with any system that uses levels or classes...too much clunk for me.

If they do this, I'm never buying another Mongoose product for as long as I live. I've invested a lot in the d20 version and it would be very upsetting if it was rendered obsolete due to a change in system.

RMS said:
One of the beauties of RQ is that it wouldn't require 5-6 years to learn it. It's always been a very logical system that is easy to pick up in an evening or two. It would also have the advantage of actually having the right feel for the world of Conan. Since you know nothing about it, I'd at least encourage checking it out before writing it off.

I agree wholeheartedly with RMS on this one....The old Runequest BRP (Basic Roleplaying) system was great, and would take almost no time to pick up and learn, and in looking through the previews that have been released for the new Mongoose version of Runequest, the same seems to apply, only the system actually adds in a bit more to make it better.

Also, I don't see support stopping for D20 Conan. Mongoose has a great thing going, and I don't think they would completely abandon it for a Runequest version.

I'm not sure if the reports are accurate on a "Second Edition" of Conan using the Runequest system, or if it will actually just be a Runequest version of Conan.

I mostly purchased the Conan game for its flavour and fluff material over the actual rules. This is quite evident in my game as I have a large number of house rules and imports from other gaming systems to fill in the gaps of the regular d20 system.

From the previews I saw of Runequest, it looks like a very interesting rules system. Far more realistic than d20. My only question is how would they convert the magic system for Conan since RQ uses those rune thingies. The only thing I can think of is if the Conan sorcery styles replace the runes, but who knows?

Unhappy with this - conversion document or no thats a ton of relatively new books on the shelf that have rules that are pretty much unusable without sitting down with pen, paper, and calculator (granted, theres more background stuff than notes usually and thats not invalidated)

If it happens I'd much prefer to see the new RQ Conan core book and from then on all sourcebooks and scenarios are dual-statted so people aren't forced into changing to RQ when they prefer d20 (and it allows for vice-versa as well of course)

quigs said:
From the previews I saw of Runequest, it looks like a very interesting rules system. Far more realistic than d20. My only question is how would they convert the magic system for Conan since RQ uses those rune thingies. The only thing I can think of is if the Conan sorcery styles replace the runes, but how knows?

They'd have to write a different magic system for it, and I'm sure they would. RQ3 had three separate magic systems written for it. Also other BRP adaptations had various magic systems written that were all portable to RQ, so adding new magic systems to RQ has always been pretty straightforward in the past, and I'd be suprised if it isn't still the case.

I don't see the logic in switching Conan over to Runequest at all. The game is lready OGL. So the company can do basically what they want with the d20 based mechanics until doomsday.

Also, switching Conan to Runequest takes the game from the most recognized game system that exists and marginalizes it by putting it into terms of a game system with nowhere nearly as much audience recognition. It's really a step backward.

RMS said:
They'd have to write a different magic system for it, and I'm sure they would. RQ3 had three separate magic systems written for it. Also other BRP adaptations had various magic systems written that were all portable to RQ, so adding new magic systems to RQ has always been pretty straightforward in the past, and I'd be suprised if it isn't still the case.
My wild guess is that the current Conan sorcery system could be ported over to RuneQuest with relative ease. In fact, our GM (Sven, who is also on these boards) has already done so.

As I never get tired of telling, my group has been playing RuneQuest in Conan's setting for a dozen years or so, despite the lack of any support (RuneQuest wasn't even in print and our only sourcebook was GURPS Conan).

We tried OGL Conan too, decided we didn't like it before hitting 3rd level, and switched back to RuneQuest. I'm still buying the books, just for setting info.

If the rumour is true, then it's a change I welcome.

Just my 2 coppers...

Darrin Kelley said:
I don't see the logic in switching Conan over to Runequest at all. The game is lready OGL. So the company can do basically what they want with the d20 based mechanics until doomsday.

Also, switching Conan to Runequest takes the game from the most recognized game system that exists and marginalizes it by putting it into terms of a game system with nowhere nearly as much audience recognition. It's really a step backward.
Oh, and I forgot to mention... RuneQuest used to the best fantasy game system ever. More realistic, but still easier to learn than D&D. Let's hope the Mongoose version keeps it that way.

I suppose Mongoose has bigger plans than riding the d20 train. Frankly, here's hoping that the new RuneQuest succeeds, and kicks some d20 butt in the process.

EDIT: Oops, that sounded more harsh than intended. Apologies! I'm a fanboy, so shoot me. :oops:

This makes no sense at all. I have a hard time believing that Runequest would ever outsell Conan here at Mongoose. There seems to be a vocal minority but Runequest at best was a fringe game that in comparison would never touch D & D (or D20) and to change Conan to the Runequest system would be beyond idiotic IMO. WTF, is what I would say.

:x :x

Melkor said:
RMS said:

I agree wholeheartedly with RMS on this one....The old Runequest BRP (Basic Roleplaying) system was great, and would take almost no time to pick up and learn, and in looking through the previews that have been released for the new Mongoose version of Runequest, the same seems to apply, only the system actually adds in a bit more to make it better.

Also, I don't see support stopping for D20 Conan. Mongoose has a great thing going, and I don't think they would completely abandon it for a Runequest version.

I'm not sure if the reports are accurate on a "Second Edition" of Conan using the Runequest system, or if it will actually just be a Runequest version of Conan.

Emphatically seconded! (er, thirded?) One of the things I love about OGL Conan is the way on which it "felt" like RQ, at least in terms of changes to the combat system.

I am looking forward with great anticipation to MRQ Conan!

Back