RQII MRQ magic

So, Exubae, just not going to share your solve for the problem, huh? I get it... you don't love us! :(

:wink:

So, Exubae, just not going to share your solve for the problem, huh?

I've already mentioned it partially, so these be the house rules I'm inforcing;
1. Runes once integrated are permently integrated, at the players death they go off with him to the afterlife. (Ancestor summoned retain their spell/rune casting ability)
2. Those runes not integerated, if they're of the same type as a rune thats integrated add a +5 to 15% bonus to spell casting for that rune. (Still UM'ing and R'ing over this as it too may lead to maddness)
3. Runes continually respawn at holy, historical, mythological locations over a period of 40-50years.
4. Opposing runes cannot be integrated (i.e. Stasis and motion (unless a moon or chaos rune are integrated))
5. Gods and Powerful spirits can grant runes to their faithful.

I admit this leads to rune farming and hoarding of the runes, but it does mean that Chalana Arroy healer is going to have a pang of concious when they intergrate that harmony rune.

Paul

I like the idea of a bonus for having additional runes of the same type. I was planning on including a penelty for casting spells based on thier Magnitude. Handling more power should take more skill.

Your #2 implies that the caster might not have the rune integrated. Are you planning on allowing rune spells to be cast if the caster does not have the rune integrated?

Also, if there is a bonus to havine additional runes of one type, would you allow the players to integrate multiple runes of the same type so that thier additional runes cant be stolen. As the caster integrated more runes of the same type they would become more intune with that perticular natural force.

Just re-empasise these are house rules, and I'll clear up a couple of bits -

2. Those runes not integerated, if they're of the same type as a rune thats integrated
Bad wording, They'ld have to have that rune integrated, but further copies grant the bonus.

3. Runes continually respawn at holy, historical, mythological locations over a period of 40-50years.
The thought was to include resting places of heroes who had strong ties to particular runes, while the sites remain intact it generates the runes.

Paul

Exubae said:
The thought was to include resting places of heroes who had strong ties to particular runes, while the sites remain intact it generates the runes.

Like where Arkat fell, or where a powerful RuneLord/Priest died defending his faith/land. I like that.

Thanks for clarifying the house rules you came up with. :)

You DO love us after all! :wink:

Just wondering, does every grant the bonus from integration, its just one of my players mentioned monday that he thought it might be better if the power was activated by the runecasting %.

From my own perspective I'ld prefer a threshold, when the rune casting exceeds x% dependent on gameworld - which means I could slot the runes as they are into 3rd age Glorantha and keep the RQ2 distribution of magic.

Perhaps I'm just clinging to the past:)

Don't forget, integrating Runes costs POW. You quickly drop in magical potential by having to many. The previw of Divine magic didn't mention Pow loss (I may be wrong, yawn :wink:).

I tended to think if Rune integration as a special little ceremony to add a rune to your "medicine bundle". Then later, spell are mini ceremonies to call thier powers, using the bundle or other focii perhaps, but if you're not carrying your bundle you loose the powers. A very shamanic sounding system. Lots of RW people carry sentimental knick-knacks, why not runes? You are directly using fragments of godhood to forge magic, how cool is that.

While I haven't seen the companion, just the previws, our current house rule looks like that cults can use cult rune magic without needing runes, but on a one use basis. This is cool because it makes initiates dependant on cults for magic, hence strong comunities for worship form, and it makes divine magic cheap & ubiquitous.

Integrating runes is more difficult & expensive, since it occurs without the aid of supernatural entities, but also grants wider powers. That's the kind of things adventurers do, to become more self reliant, become Heroes.

DD

Durand Durand said:
Don't forget, integrating Runes costs POW. You quickly drop in magical potential by having to many. The previw of Divine magic didn't mention Pow loss (I may be wrong, yawn :wink:).

Plus of course you only get so many skill improvements per scenario, and will have to ration them across your rune skills, so certainly having more runes doesn't realy improve your capabilities much.

Unless you use your Fate spell to boost them up to usable levels as necessery, but of course that will require plenty of MPs.

I can see fate being heavily used to augment offline skill uses, such as creatig enchantments and summonings, when using spare MPs isn't a problem.

Simon Hibbs

Back