Response on Armageddon Posts

Lord David the Denied said:
Thirspace was good...

Well I wouldnt go that far ;) Though it WAS infinitely better than River of Souls and the less said about Legend of the Rangers the better (unless you're saying something along the lines of 'burn it' ;))

Lorcan Nagle said:
I'd second the Warlock going back to War level at the very least. The Mid-late EA need a decent line ship at War level.

Maybe they'll pick up on the idea of the Nike and make it our War choice. ;)

I hope not, i have bought two nikes ot use as Marathons. I'd hate to have to actually buy Marathons at any stage!

I hope not, i have bought two nikes ot use as Marathons. I'd hate to have to actually buy Marathons at any stage!

Ditto, and I've ordered three...

Incidentally, Hiff, d'you ever wonder just why Lord David was Denied?

I could hazard a guess...

I have a witty and well thought out answer, but I think it may be in too bad taste to post on this board, so I'll just sit here and chuckle about it to myself instead.

More like Legend of the Rangers. Thirspace was good...

Actually my comment was meant to refer to the fact that between seasons 3 and 4 we had this major threat that would have made the Shadows look like desirable neighbours and it was never mentioned again......

...but could justifibly be taken as a slating for the movie as well :)

On the plus side it was better than Legend of the Rangers, but then I am heard pressed to think of any film I have seen that made me cringe so badly.

NOOOOO, don't make my marathon replacement officially a warship... well go on to be cool to Prelude.
to be honest Matt, this is a beautiful model. Seriously, would you consider stuff, as I was making my Own G'Vrahn model, but would be cool if it became cannon as A.N Other ship, problem being you might get swamped with models now ;-)

hiffano said:
I have a witty and well thought out answer, but I think it may be in too bad taste to post on this board, so I'll just sit here and chuckle about it to myself instead.

Very mature...

aww come on, you don't even know what it was!

dant164 said:
Wouldnt that render Armageddon totally obsolete?

Everything beforehand will be - Armageddon fulfils our promise to produce just one book for CTA every year, rather than getting you to lay out for multiple smaller publications every few months. It was designed to update the game, introduce the Armageddon PL and build on the groundwork for revisions to the EA - all for just £15. That is cheaper than two Omegas!

We _could_ put everything in S&P (indeed, you will see a lot for CTA in S&P over the next few months) but then you chaps would soon be wanting us to put them all into a handy hardback - which, in effect, is what this one book a year is all about. . .

As to the greater question of producing a book that will last for little more than a year, that will be the case whatever its content - the alternative is not getting anything for CTA for what would have been over a year and a half.

What I can say is that we have always been very open when it comes to new editions, even if we could put ourselves in the position to wring out a few more sales by keeping quiet. We also actively court the opinions of players on how new editions/updates should look. I would humbly submit that this is what makes the difference between ourselves and certain other companies out there.

If that is the sort of game you want to play, pick up Armageddon - give it a try, you will find it better than you may think. If you disagree, vote with your wallet - and we won't be doing a book like this again. . .

hiffano said:
NOOOOO, don't make my marathon replacement officially a warship... well go on to be cool to Prelude.
to be honest Matt, this is a beautiful model. Seriously, would you consider stuff, as I was making my Own G'Vrahn model, but would be cool if it became cannon as A.N Other ship, problem being you might get swamped with models now ;-)

If you are happy to hand over the rights to Warner Brothers (and, I have to say, the Nike is treading on some dodgy legal ground - fanwork is great and encouraged, but as soon as you start to charge money. . .), by all means send us models/masters. We can put them up on this forum with some stats and get a vote as to whether they should go into full production. . .

msprange said:
dant164 said:
Wouldnt that render Armageddon totally obsolete?

Everything beforehand will be - Armageddon fulfils our promise to produce just one book for CTA every year, rather than getting you to lay out for multiple smaller publications every few months. It was designed to update the game, introduce the Armageddon PL and build on the groundwork for revisions to the EA - all for just £15. That is cheaper than two Omegas!

We _could_ put everything in S&P (indeed, you will see a lot for CTA in S&P over the next few months) but then you chaps would soon be wanting us to put them all into a handy hardback - which, in effect, is what this one book a year is all about. . .

As to the greater question of producing a book that will last for little more than a year, that will be the case whatever its content - the alternative is not getting anything for CTA for what would have been over a year and a half.

What I can say is that we have always been very open when it comes to new editions, even if we could put ourselves in the position to wring out a few more sales by keeping quiet. We also actively court the opinions of players on how new editions/updates should look. I would humbly submit that this is what makes the difference between ourselves and certain other companies out there.

If that is the sort of game you want to play, pick up Armageddon - give it a try, you will find it better than you may think. If you disagree, vote with your wallet - and we won't be doing a book like this again. . .

very well put Matt. I personally have not bought armageddon, as a Narn player I don't feel I need it. I do think this kind of book should have been a cheaper paperback, but you have explained things, and I think, like us, you certainly don't want to become the new "other big company". I still say roll on Version 2. HOWEVER, I would like to see Mongoose consider more scenario books, I "think" the EA Minbari war went down well, and the Fan written Dilgar and Narn books seem to have been very well received, A small £5-£10 book of scenarios based upon the actual shadow war, the earth civil war war, the Full Dilgar war etc, would be fantastic, in my opinion.
You have a wealth of talent amongst your play base, and it would be folly to completely ignore it, some talented writers and model designers amongst others. We rock! use us!!

Martin said:
I am new to this game. Armegeddon is the second publication I have purchased produced by Mongoose and I have to say I understand books are expensive to produce these days and of course there is the license to consider but I was a little disapointed from my point of view £15.00 plus P+P was expensive for little content 2 pages of rules adjustments unless you are an EA player. I should have perhaps purchased A Sky full of Stars being new but after seeing Armegeddon I think I would need to see a copy first before spending £25.00 plus P+P after all this is quite a few minis.

There is a lot of really, really good stuff in SFoS; A rules update, additional rules for Space Stations, Boarding Actions, Fleet Carriers, Scouts, new special actions, advanced rules for Auxillary Craft, Skin Dancing, 2 characters (John Sheridan and G'Sten). There have been some minor tweaks to the scenarios as well as adding rules for engagements in hyperspace, and more scenarios. There is also a large update of more stuff for campaigns. And an updated fleet list for all the major races as well as splitting the LoNAW fleet list into Abbai, Brakiri, Drazi and Vree (but you can see the ship/fleet updates on the on-line shipviewers some forum members (Obsidian/LBH and Burger) have produced. Certainly it is a purchase you would not regret (once you get used to the typos...).

I have recently bought Armageddon, while it has added some nice tweaks and a lot more controversy, it is very dissapointing when compared to the content of SFoS. However there was just too much added to the game to release it as piecemeal supplements the size of EM War or Dilgar. Say as an EA fleet lists, Armageddon PL, Ancients and then add the rules update on-line. I am a little disappointed with the content, but I have not played enough games to fairly judge the updated rules in yet, but in the few games I have played I have generally liked what I have seen changed (not played as Minbari yet...). It might just all be we are all acting like spoiled children after what Mongoose gave us in SFoS.

msprange said:
hiffano said:

If you are happy to hand over the rights to Warner Brothers (and, I have to say, the Nike is treading on some dodgy legal ground - fanwork is great and encouraged, but as soon as you start to charge money. . .), by all means send us models/masters. We can put them up on this forum with some stats and get a vote as to whether they should go into full production. . .

even for something that is not a representation of anything that is from the show/books/games or a recasted model (which it most definately is not) :?:

God of Frustration said:
even for something that is not a representation of anything that is from the show/books/games or a recasted model (which it most definately is not) :?:

Well the promotional material for it does use an EA logo, which is the property of Warner Bros... Legally speaking, Mongoose have to pay for a licence in order to sell miniatures with B5 IP attached, while this is being sold with B5 IP attached without such a licence - you can see where WB may possibly get uppity. Again, legally speaking I believe it's something WB would come down on rather than Mongoose as it is use of their IP (the EA logo and indication of a B5 use) without a licence. If it was sold as a "Nike-class ship for generic space wargaming" without any mention to ACTA or B5, then I do not believe there would be any issues (I am not a lawyer, but just trying to help out here)

mthomason said:
God of Frustration said:

Well the promotional material for it does use an EA logo, which is the property of Warner Bros... Legally speaking, Mongoose have to pay for a licence in order to sell miniatures with B5 IP attached, while this is being sold with B5 IP attached without such a licence - you can see where WB may possibly get uppity. Again, legally speaking I believe it's something WB would come down on rather than Mongoose as it is use of their IP (the EA logo and indication of a B5 use) without a licence. If it was sold as a "Nike-class ship for generic space wargaming" without any mention to ACTA I do not believe there would be any issues (I am not a lawyer, but just trying to help out here)

sounds about right to be honest, think you hit the nail on the head their. the model itself is not the issue, the use of the EA logo and any mention of B5 could be called into question

The easiest way around that then is to say that the Nike is in the style of Baylon 5 ACTA Earth Ships, and here's the stats compliant with B5 ACTA(then put in the legal mumbo jumbo about B5 belonging to WB and ACTA being a Mongoose product)
Don't use the B5 logo and don't publish any rules which are Mongoose' property.

Even "in the style of" is probably too much. A single mention of B5 IP or any indication in that area is enough for WB to start proceedings, if they decided they wanted to.

The best option is to avoid using ACTA or B5 IP at all, and thus not incur any risk of anyone getting upset over it.

Back