Reputation & Corruption

tagnetti

Mongoose
Hi Guys, Are you faithfully tracking reputation on the fly? I was reading through it again yesterday and it seems as if It could play a huge role as it seems as if it would happen real time, so If you start dropping foes in battle your rep. will build and it will be easier to intimidate them and get a +2 making it even easier to crush em. The only downer is it takes a standard. SO I guess you kill a few, Threaten and walk up to the next victim. Seems like it could really be a fun addition to the game.

Corruption, How are you guys using that? It seems from what I read that it would mainly apply to Nobles and Scholars. The physical appearance change seems neat.

Tom

The issue with real time rep hasn't come up -- I was unaware that it could happen that way . . . reputation requires that your story is told -- what if you leave no survivors?

We've been giving reputation at the end of an adventure . . .

As for corruption, it can occur to anyone but Scholars with a Demonic Pact are most succeptible. I don't know why nobles would be more corrupt than other classes except that "money corrupts". :wink:

In this situation I'm not sure that reputation would help in this manner. Now having your foes being slaughtered left and right to me would give them a moral check in fleeing or being more cautious in their actions.

Now, at the end of the battle, I'm sure your reputation would be increased if there were a few foes who escaped and told the tale of a mighty force named (enter your name here) who wiped out their army.

But, of course this is my opinion.

Now, if your reputation does increase as you play in real time, I'd think the game would slow down a wee bit.

I comletely understand what you guys are saying, however in addition to the post battle story telling that would take place. I would think in a large battle If you saw someone dropping your allies like flies and He pointed at you and said "Your Next" You would probably get a minus of somekind or perhaps make a will save not to get Pee-Pee Pants :)

tagnetti said:
If you saw someone dropping your allies like flies and He pointed at you and said "Your Next" You would probably get a minus of somekind or perhaps make a will save not to get Pee-Pee Pants :)

Something like this already exists in the pirate class ability "To sail a road of blood and slaughter"

Thrack

Another thing to keep in mind about reputation: You might have slain many a Pict along the borders of the Pictish Wilderness and they may sing your praises all through Aquilonia. But, if you divert from that "lifestyle" and journey across the seas to say, the Barachan Isles... The people in that region may not have heard of you and therefore, your reputation with them is lower than with the frontiersmen along the border of Aquilonia.

Thrack said:
tagnetti said:
If you saw someone dropping your allies like flies and He pointed at you and said "Your Next" You would probably get a minus of somekind or perhaps make a will save not to get Pee-Pee Pants :)

Something like this already exists in the pirate class ability "To sail a road of blood and slaughter"

Thrack
Yes, also the Demoralize Opponent action and the feats Steely Gaze and Menacing Aura.

I am not keeping good track of reputation for anyone. It is just too much nitpicky bookkeeping to do, except between adventures, and even then, it's a bit of a pain I rarely bother with. Like Conan, my players rarely stay in one place long enough to benefit from it. If they were sticking to the same spot, that would be different. But they keep buildig up and tearing down their Reputations in one spot, only to move on just as it starts to dish out benefits...

I generally wing my PCs' reputations. For example, the Kozak band that captured them recognized them as the adventurers who helped out some of their Zuagir brothers in Zamboula, and so accepted them into the warband rather than torture them to death.

I'm actually going to incorporate it tonight and have my players choose a reputation, they'd like to adhere to. I think it will be funny to see it fluctuate. If it becomes too much I may make changes. I'll probably track by area.

Thanks

This thread inspired me to figure out my Skald PC's (Vanir barbarian 2/pirate 2) reputation: 15 in Arenjun!

BTW: Are any of you considering allowing a scholar to add his current Corruption score as a bonus to his Reputation if his Reputation is cruel, trickster or villain?

Back