recreational/social cyberware?

hobgoblin

Mongoose
one thing missing in cybernet (and is mostly glossed over in many others to) is cyberware that not directly have any game effect other then looking cool, say watches and similar stuff that are hidden right under the skin (never loose track of time again) to glowing tattoos and hair that you can manipulate is insane ways (most of the time it looks normal, but if you want to you can have it change "shape" and color on command, haveing some of it rise into a bright red and yellow mohawk and so on)...

cyberpunk 2020 had this to a point (not mutch tho if you dont count the exotics in one of the chromebooks). and from what i understand digital burn have some stuff like this to...

then there is the issue of self, stuff like this should not realy have that great an impact. most would be in the 1 to .5 or lower area depending...

I agree and I did suggest fashionable cyberware to those who have taken it upon themselves to write us something extra for our Cybernet games. I believe they are still accepting contributions and ideas.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2240

Or give Stratos or Kiln Publications (I believe)a shout. Cool ideas.

- Sonny

ps. Or if you have a lot of tiome on your hands you could make them yourself. Make sure to notify me if you do, because that would be cool!

hmm, isnt realy that hard. i mostly did the basic layout above...

most of the items should have a flat self cost rather then a random one and the cyberware tolerant feat should halv that but not lower the end result by one...

this is allso a nice explanation for stuff like hip replacements and so on...

cyberwatch:
this comes in two versions. one version puts a small display under the skin right behind your wrist and will at a mental command light up so that you can read the numbers. the other one ties into your optic nerve and will at the mental command display the numbers in your field of vision. cost should be about .25 for the wrist version and .5 for the in vision version...

cyberhair:
this one is all the rage with the clubers. the hair is normaly matched to your normal haircolor when inactive and feel and act like normal hair. but its tied to a control system that with a mental command makes the hair lock in place like the person had used gel or similar. basicly hold it in the right shape and issue the right mental command to have it lock. a more advanced version allows the user to issue colors to areas of hair or single strands if exact control is needed. this way one can have the hair take on pattterns or colors at will by haveing the right refrence material. cost is about .5 for the non colorchangeing one and 1 for the colorchangeing one.

cybertattoo:
this is realy a larger version of the screen used with the wrist version of the cyberwatch. the screen is implanted under the skin in the designated area and can thereafter display glowing stillimages or on more advanced versions moveing patterns. mostly done is neon colors so as to get the best result in dark enviroments (one guy had a entire arm coverd in it and had a snake tattoo coil its way around it when he got into a fight). self cost is about .5 pr 10 sq.cm. and double that for one able to do moveing images.

I always liked the "Swiss Army Finger" in Underground. The deluxe version includes a motor to open the blades and turn the corkscrew :D

The Chromebooks from Cyberpunk2020 had lots of this stuff.

A subdermal watch, illuminated tattoos, etc.

If you have the chance, those books offer a wealth of ideas :)

Slingbld~

Don't forget about BrainDancing. Best understood by watching the movie "STRANGE DAYS"

Can you imagine being high on cybernet drugs, and pumping someone elses Clip of being stoned through your system. Man, talk about screwing up your body . . . .

ME to lazy to login,
Psyclonejack

Don't forget about BrainDancing. Best understood by watching the movie "STRANGE DAYS"

Can you imagine being high on cybernet drugs, and pumping someone elses Clip of being stoned through your system. Man, talk about screwing up your body . . . .

ME to lazy to login,
Psyclonejack

heh, i had a discussion about that ones with someone i know that does weed at times. he said that it would never be the same but i have a feel he will not notice any diffrence if the chip makes the body produce the same reactions as the drug would do. like say chiping a alcohol chip for a party set to slowly have your body belive its drunk and all your drinking is water. kinda reminds me of the discussion the two main characters in ghost in the shell have on that boat to...

and i belive i have actualy seen that movie (its the one where someone dies while recording theyre own brain patterns yes?), its been doung the rounds on TCM (or whatever that channel is named). some nice classics there like soylent green ;)

allso, i commented on the chromebooks up top. i could not realy find mutch that was designed for pure social interaction and similar. sure those tool fingers are nice (i love the idea of a lighter in your thumb tho) but there was not mutch for the pure style cyberware like say those glasses in the flavortext. shadowrun have simsense and BTL, i dont recall cyberpunk covering that to any real degree. remeber that gibson talked about something like simsense in count zero. the mon of one of the main characters watches soaps that way all the time, in fact she had a upgraded interface jack in the belife that she would get a better/cleaner signal...

hmm, how about the chips simulate any of the drugs on the drug chart with the same kind of withdrawl effects and so on. by upping the grade of the chip you increase the effect but you allso increase any targetnumbers for resisting addiction and so on...

hmm, a continual high...

hobgoblin said:
cyberhair:
this one is all the rage with the clubers. the hair is normaly matched to your normal haircolor when inactive and feel and act like normal hair. but its tied to a control system that with a mental command makes the hair lock in place like the person had used gel or similar. basicly hold it in the right shape and issue the right mental command to have it lock. a more advanced version allows the user to issue colors to areas of hair or single strands if exact control is needed. this way one can have the hair take on pattterns or colors at will by haveing the right refrence material. cost is about .5 for the non colorchangeing one and 1 for the colorchangeing one.

a friend of mine mentioned fingernails with the same feature ( I believe it was from "The Fifth Element", or eyes that change colour for that matter.

These are all terrific ideas... I'll definitely keep them in mind as I write the Mechana Manual (TM) and I'll list everyone's avatar in the credits! :)

- Stratos

baileyrecords said:
These are all terrific ideas... I'll definitely keep them in mind as I write the Mechana Manual (TM) and I'll list everyone's avatar in the credits! :)

- Stratos

Coolness!!!

glad you like it stratos (funny, there is a chocolate bar in norway that have that name)...

one small addition to the cybereyes. the surface can be of any color or pattem as long as it does not need a texture to get the wanted effect. so you can have eyes that have black spots in the center coverd by tiger stripes one day and the next you can change it into the rising sun used by japan in WW2 of you want to. basicly the surface just needs to be like a display screen. as for the ability to see, well i dont realy know. that depends on where the lightsensitive detectors are located...

the hair i mostly copyed from cyberpunk, alltho im not so sure if they have the original idea eithe. its just a matter of haveing fibers that change color based on current or frequnecy or similar. as for the stiffening, what you need to get that effect are a material that allow for it to be soft while under the effect of some low grade current and then stiffen when the current is removed, just get the hair into the right shape while the curent is on, cut the current and you got yourself a new do. only problem is that the length have to be surgicaly changed.

alltho this could be bypassed by makeing it work like some sort of wig or similar. put it over your original hair and pug it into the controler under the wigs covering. then you can change hairlength at will. hell some people do this allready, changeing wigs depending on where they are going and what hairstyle/color they want...

hmm, i recall the nails. like the eyes is just a matter of replaceing or covering the original ones with displayscreens that dont need current to keep the image displayed. basicly its a extention of todays false nails and nailpolish (hmm, i woner if they where is fact described somewhere. was it gurps?)...

tie it all into some sort of memory unit or neural interface so that you can change it at will and your on :)

btw, i love the description of the body comp in the book. typeing by simulating it, looking on a sheet of paper to scan it (or you can read it and have the text you read translated into digital text, should not be all to hard realy) and so is just genius. it gives a totaly new outlook on how a implanted computer can work...

What about mood skin? Either that or nanochips that allow to change the color of your skin with a thought. Also with this you could also change the texture of skin, the way it feels to the touch. You could have skin or bone ridges and any other crazy cosmetic stuff. This would be cool!

Big Pimp LED PlasmaGlow Under Skin Weave!

Just like the PlasmaGlow undercar lighting kits, why not implant them. You could have them strobe colors, alternate, or simply allow the body to glow. Heck if you have cyber audio or a implanted music you could get it to beat and strobe various colors in time with the music. Never be caught in the dark again, and be the life of the dance floor.

---

I read a Shadowrun book a while back, one of the characters had several heat resistant tubes run through his skullcap. A small tank of fuel was strapped to his waist. The effect was Flames for hair. He could with a thought, change them from straight blue to whispy yellow.

---

Oh, and hobgoblin, the movie STRANGE DAYS is different than the one you are thinking about. The movie is set at the millinium, and a 'Clip' Dealer is attempting to solve a string of murders where the murderer is 'Recording' via Braindance the actual acts, and then giving them to the dealer. Picked up my copy at wally world for 5 bucks on dvd.

PsyJack

hobgoblin said:
glad you like it stratos (funny, there is a chocolate bar in norway that have that name)...
hmm. and in England they've got a beer called Hobgoblin. So which would you prefer?

Btw those who haven't seen it, go rent Strange Days. Cool setting inspiration.

Back