Reckoning of years in Conan

slaughterj said:
Thanks for the info. I wouldn't doubt that there are a number of other things like this that can catalogued, e.g., times for battles, rebellions, slain significant figures, etc., which would be nice to have in a timeline.

I highly recommend an article by Jim Neal called Havoc in Hyboria: A Study of Warfare in Conan's World, which appeared in The Savage Sword of Conan the Barbarian no. 55. It lists all the major conflicts and rebellions, putting them into the context of Conan's age.

For example, when Conan was ten years old, Baal-Pteor was eighteen and had been graduated, moving from strangling babies, young girls and young men to strangling adults. Baal Pteor also began studying hypnotism at this time.

It is an excellent article, and well worth the search for that issue. (Be warned, the early issues of SSoC, including this one, does include nudity. Although I am highly in favour of nudity, some readers today may not be.)

Alas,

I do not have SSOC #55...any chance of you scanning it in? (even if you delete the potentially (to others) nudity).

Thanks

Here is what I am using in my campaign for a calendar.

Hyborian Calendar

Twenty-one year cycle (year of the...)*
Tiger
Lion
Dragon
Cobra
Turtle
Wildcat
Wolf
Eagle
Hawk
Bear
Otter
Alligator
Mongoose
Panther
Rat
Horse
Lotus
Gazelle
Falcon
Dog
Elephant

Months**
Hyborian = Julian equivalent
Qrot (31) = June
Monodrum = July
Yuluk = August
Quidro (31) = September
Glumble = October
Grigglenov = November
Ailem (31)= December
Zan = Jan
Vivvig = Feb
Ublez (31) = Mar
Hamyr = Apr
Ducet (variable 31/32) = May

*twenty-one years in each cycle, from RoK pg. 188.

**twelve months of around thirty days each. The months have non-descriptive names, such as Yuluk, Conan RPG main book pg. 248. The year starts on the Summer solstice. Months with a solstice or equinox have 31 days. We are using Ducet to adjust for leap year and any short days. Having Qrot start right on the Summer Solstice keeps the year correct. I would like to give credit for the month names to Wydero, Dr. Skull, and the rest of his group. They did a fantastic job and the names fit perfectly in the Conan world.

Edit note, I changed the months around to fit the Dr. Skull campaign progression.

I thought those months looked familiar! They were developed by the nefarious Dr. Skull and his crewmates. We do not yet have RoK so we only used twelve years in the cycle, so perhaps we'll adopt yours instead.

http://conan.delving.com/calendar.php

I loved the wheel of years in RoK, it cut down on my GM workload just a little. Iron Chef's creation? Dude, you rock. 8)

I will post the calendar that I am working on when it is fixed. It shows the 28 day moon phase and corrects for the leap year.

VincentDarlage said:
Well, for starters, King Yezdigerd replaced King Yildiz before "Shadows in Zamboula"

King Numedides replaces King Vilerus as King of Aquilonia after "Drums of Tumbalku" (which mentions Vilerus as king of Aquilonia) but before "Beyond the Black River" (which mentions Numedides as king).

Hi, VincentDarlage,

Unhappily, the fragment/synopsis "Drums of Tombalku" didn't come yet here in Brasil (or Brazil, as other languages call the country I was born). So, I'd like to know if Vilerus as King of Aquilonia is an Amalric's comment or a Howard's one in "Drums..."

Fernando said:
Unhappily, the fragment/synopsis "Drums of Tombalku" didn't come yet here in Brasil (or Brazil, as other languages call the country I was born). So, I'd like to know if Vilerus as King of Aquilonia is an Amalric's comment or a Howard's one in "Drums..."
Hi brasileiro ! Tudo bem ? Amalric said to the Gazali girl Lissa (who believed that Epeus the Sword-Wielder, a king from 900 years ago was king of Aquilonia), that Vilerus is the current king.

Axerules said:
Fernando said:
Hi brasileiro ! Tudo bem ? Amalric said to the Gazali girl Lissa (who believed that Epeus the Sword-Wielder, a king from 900 years ago was king of Aquilonia), that Vilerus is the current king.

Tudo bem! Thank you, aquiloniano! :lol: :D

Back