Re: Forums and Civility - Did I miss something?

Rurik

Mongoose
I have not been as active as I once was but have managed to pretty much keep on the board here. I had thought for the most part the board has been a lot more civil than at some times past. Really since that pro/neg thread that exploded out of control a couple weeks back I havn't seen anything approaching that level of hostility.

Or am I missing something? Did another thread get shut down?

The "forget it" thread started to get a little... tense, as did the "Faults" thread. But "Faults" seems to have cleared up with a few apologies and misunderstanding acknowlegements around the table.

This forum, however, has the rep for being pretty rugged already. I know a number of people who refuse to be a part of them.

So it's a good thing that Mongoose is attempting to clamp down on the "bad stuff". This forum should be one of supporting MRQ, not tearing it down. (Note I consider constructive criticism "support" -- "MrQ is t3h br0ken @nd sh0uld b distr0yed!!!!111!!!!!!eleventy!!!1111" is not.)

It was a pretty civil thread when I last looked at it. A couple of people were unhappy with the game and/or Mongoose but no one was getting nasty. Did it turn vicous this morning or something?

I wish they would pst a warning in the thread and close it so that we could see what the problem was.

O.K. - I remember that thread. Don Allen after running his first game. I was the first reply (that is how I remember it) and hadn't read it since. It is indeed gone now.

I have seen on many boards where a moderator steps in and edits out offensive posts - leaves the post but says "removed by moderator", or Locks the thread altogether.

I prefer those methods to just deleting threads. It seems a shame to have potentially constructive posts removed because of a couple of a-hole... err, I mean, civility challenged individuals.

It also breeds conspiracy theories.

Rurik said:
O.K. - I remember that thread. Don Allen after running his first game. I was the first reply (that is how I remember it) and hadn't read it since. It is indeed gone now.

I have seen on many boards where a moderator steps in and edits out offensive posts - leaves the post but says "removed by moderator", or Locks the thread altogether.

So have I. USually it is censor out the offending text, post a warning explaining what was wrong, lock the thread.

Rurik said:
I prefer those methods to just deleting threads. It seems a shame to have potentially constructive posts removed because of a couple of a-hole... err, I mean, civility challenged individuals.

It also breeds conspiracy theories.

So do I. The rewal mustery is that as of 4AM my time, everyone was being civil. Don was not happy with mRQ and was moving on. Someof us suggested alternative games, Melkor expressed some questions about Mongoose and errata, and several peoele discussed it. Probably the most civil discussion with opposing views I've seen here.

Either it went real hostile during the wee hours of the moring, or something is very fishy.

iamtim said:
This forum, however, has the rep for being pretty rugged already. I know a number of people who refuse to be a part of them.

Really? This forum is about the most mild mannered forum I've been on, along with rpg.net. Maybe it's just RPG forums, as these are the only two that I frequent for that hobbie. If someone is scared off by this they'd probably have a heart attack on some of the music (guitar related) forums I frequent. ;)

RuneQuest has never been a system for the faint of heart. :)

RQ'ers expect a pretty brutal game. Maybe that comes out in the boards.

Though I must agree with RMS, I have seen MUCH worse on some other boards.

RMS said:
iamtim said:

Really? This forum is about the most mild mannered forum I've been on, along with rpg.net. Maybe it's just RPG forums, as these are the only two that I frequent for that hobbie. If someone is scared off by this they'd probably have a heart attack on some of the music (guitar related) forums I frequent. ;)

Well, from my personal experience, this is probably the most hostile/least civil forum I've been on. Most of the people are civil, even when they disagree with each other, but on most of the RPG forums I've been on people are usually more tolerant of opposing views. Well, except for the Starfleet Marines topic being banned (the Ultimate Trek Flame War).

atgxtg said:
I. The rewal mustery is that as of 4AM my time, everyone was being civil. Don was not happy with mRQ and was moving on. Someof us suggested alternative games, Melkor expressed some questions about Mongoose and errata, and several peoele discussed it. Probably the most civil discussion with opposing views I've seen here.

Either it went real hostile during the wee hours of the moring, or something is very fishy.

That thread was completely civil, and I think the points brought up by me, and the counters expressed by others were not off base. I couldn't sleep last night, so I was up into the wee hours of the morning and logged on, and noone had responded in a negative manner up to then.

Not sure...but hey, I guess this is Mongoose's forum, so it's their ship to run as they see fit.

Sadly though, I think that the questions raised could have been officially addressed in about the same amount of time it took to delete the thread and start the 'civility' thread.

atgxtg said:
Well, from my personal experience, this is probably the most hostile/least civil forum I've been on. Most of the people are civil, even when they disagree with each other, but on most of the RPG forums I've been on people are usually more tolerant of opposing views. Well, except for the Starfleet Marines topic being banned (the Ultimate Trek Flame War).

I would agree with you on this one atgxtg. Between the Runequest forums and the Conan RPG forums, I have seen quite a lack of tolerance for opposing viewpoints, and some downright hostility. Much moreso than I thought was occuring in the thread in question.

Melkor said:
atgxtg said:

I would agree with you on this one atgxtg. Between the Runequest forums and the Conan RPG forums, I have seen quite a lack of tolerance for opposing viewpoints, and some downright hostility. Much moreso than I thought was occuring in the thread in question.

You guys obviously don't spend much times on the Teletubbies boards. The whole Tinky Winky/La-La thing can get pretty nasty.

iamtim said:
RMS said:
This forum is about the most mild mannered forum I've been on, along with rpg.net.

This forum was pretty rugged the first few weeks after release.

WAS NOT!!!

[Slam's door, break furniture, throws coffee mug and calls parentheses brackets!] :wink:

iamtim said:
RMS said:
This forum is about the most mild mannered forum I've been on, along with rpg.net.

This forum was pretty rugged the first few weeks after release.

It was more so then, than now, which is what puzzles me about this. Still, it wasn't what I would call hostile. It's probably just a personal experience type of thing.

I can opnly think of two reasons why that particular thread got removed.

1) Someone poasted something really nasty early this morning that got the thread tanked before we all saw it.

2) That some of the unfavorable remarks about MRQ or MOngoose didn't sit well with the Mongooses.

My suspicions are on the first possibility, as it is more consistent with past censoring practice.

atgxtg said:
1) Someone poasted something really nasty early this morning that got the thread tanked before we all saw it.

2) That some of the unfavorable remarks about MRQ or MOngoose didn't sit well with the Mongooses.

My suspicions are on the first possibility, as it is more consistent with past censoring practice.

Not to mention they left loads of other unfavorable remarks on the board :)

mthomason said:
atgxtg said:

Not to mention they left loads of other unfavorable remarks on the board :)

Yeah, and I've typed up a good percentage of those , too. If MOngoose wanted to go the censorship route I'd probably get ban-----

Just kidding. :wink:

Somebody must have put something really nasty in that thread. Probably someone new popped in, didn't agree with something they read, and posted a nasty personal attack.

The mods just saw it before we all did.

Back