Raven's Errata

Hi all. In the course of my capaigns I inevitably create new races, weapons, rules, Feats, words, etc. Here's where I am going to post those you might like. Anyone else with a good idea can chime too. 8)

Raven

Optional Rule

Going for a swim

Creatures non native to aquatic environments suffer greatly when navigating such terrain. Unless one possesses the Water Snake Feat [see below for the revised Feat] a land dwelling creature is considered Flat-Footed while swimming, cannot use their Dexterity modifier bonus to Initiative rolls [though negative penalties still apply] or their Strength modifier to weapon damage or AP [land dwellers are used to pushing against a solid object to gain such bonuses] though they still apply in Grapple checks and damage while grappling. In addition those without the Feat Move at half speed in aquatic environments. Creatures native to aquatic environments are accustomed to their natural environment and do not suffer these penalties.

All beings, aquatic or not, suffer penalties when using weapon inappropriate to an aquatic environment. Unarmed attacks, Grapples and light Piercing and Slashing weapons may be used without penalty. One and two handed weapons that are dedicated Piercing weapons such as a Spear or Trident [see below] likewise suffer no penalty. Those one handed weapons that give Slashing or Piercing and Slashing damage suffer a –2 circumstance penalty in an aquatic environment. All blunt weapons and non-dedicated Piercing weapons [e.g. Greatsword, Clubs] suffer a –4 circumstance penalty.

In addition any creature unable to breathe water and whose head is not above water begins to drown. A creature can normally hold their breath for two rounds per point of Constitution if they have had time to prepare themselves by drawing in a large breath- otherwise they can hold it for one round per point of Constitution. Note that each standard or move action or successful Grapple check on someone whose attacker is performing the Choke Combat Maneuver reduces that total by one. The Sea’s Breath Feat [from Pirate Isles] allays this to some degree- the person with this Feat no longer loses one round of breath for a standard action.

Revised Feat

Water Snake

Perquisites: Con 13; Endurance Feat; five ranks of Swim
The possessor of this Feat is so accustomed to an aquatic environment that he or she is no longer considered Flat Footed while swimming, suffers no penalty to Initiative, retains their Strength bonus to damage and AP and move their full Movement score while swimming. This Feat however does not bestow a Swim speed on its possessor- they may not automatically Take 10 on swimming rolls when threatened or gain any bonus to avoiding hazards underwater. In addition the possessor of this Feat still gains any penalty appropriate to the weapons they are using and if they lack a means of breathing water, still suffer the possibility of drowning normally.

New Weapon

Trident
One and Two Handed Exotic Melee weapon
Cost: 35 silver luna
Damage: 2d6
Critical: x3
Armor Piercing: 3
Hardness: 10
Hit Points: 7
Weight: 6 lbs.
Type: Piercing

Note: Deep Ones [see ‘Conan and Cthluhu’ forum for details] and other sentient aquatic races possess a Weapon Familiarity with the Trident- it is considered a Martial Weapon instead of an Exotic weapon to them.

Description: A large weapon resembling a metal three pronged fork, a Trident is unusual to find outside of sea going cultures, though some Gladiators use the weapon in conjunction with a net in arena combat. Aquatic races however often use ones of their own make as a standard weapon of choice.

Notes: Like a Warsword, a creature can use a Trident as a two-handed as a Martial Weapon instead of an Exotic one. Use of a Trident one-handed and without penalty will require the appropiate Exotic Weapon Feat or Weapom Familiarity

Optional Rule variant

Fate plays no favourites, but I can take the pain

In an effort to make the game seem less like a video game with a number of ‘extra lives’ in the form of Fate points, the following rules can be used. No creature, PC or NPC, possesses or can make use of Fate Points. To balance this change, the death by Massive Damage rule no longer applies. No matter the amount of damage suffered in an attack, no Fortitude saving throw is required to avoid dying. This returns the game back to the old D&D feel where if you wanted something very large dead, you had to beat it to a bloody pulp- which is more satisfying in my opinion. 8)

Optionally, you can set the threshold of amount of damage needed to provoke a Fortitude save higher- 30 or 40 perhaps. In this case the DC of the Massive Damage check would be a DC equal to the damage suffered minus the minimum threshold. Thus if the threshold is set to 30, an attack dealing 44 points of damage would only require a Fortitude save of 14 [44 points of damage dealt – minimum threshold of 30] to prevent sudden death.

Optional Rule variant

We only fear what we do not understand

As a general rule, people subjected to frightening stimuli become less and less frightened upon each exposure to it. In game terms, whenever a person passes a Terror of the Unknown check against a type of being or a single unique individual successfully the DC for the next encounter of such a being or individual is reduced by one. When the DC required to for a Terror check drops to 10, the character need not make a Terror check upon encounter that type of being or individual again.

Optional Rule variant

Them’s a big sucker, ain’t it?

A creature who provokes a Terror of the Unknown check will gain a penalty or bonus to the DC of the Terror check depending on how large or small it is in comparison to the ones forced to make the Terror test. Since almost all PCs in the Hyborian world are Medium sized humans, the following table assumes that the creature making the check is Medium sized. For individuals of different sizes, adjust the DC modifier accordingly.

Size of Creature/Terror test DC modifier
Fine: DC –8
Diminutive: DC –4
Tiny: DC –2
Small: DC –1
Medium: no change
Large: DC +1
Huge: DC +2
Gargantuan: DC +4
Colossal: DC +8

In interests of balancing out some the rules a bit on a controversial Feat, here’s my take….

Revised Feat

Improved Power Attack
[was ‘Monster Slayer’]

Perquisites: Power Attack; Base Attack Bonus +6 or greater
Description: Essentially an ‘upgrade’ to Power Attack, this Feat supercedes Power Attack’s ability as follows. As per Power Attack, the possessor of this Feat prior to rolling their attack may reduce their attack roll by an amount up to their Base Attack Bonus. For each point reduced this way, the amount of damage inflicted is twice the amount subtracted from the attack roll or three times the amount if the attacker is using a two-handed weapon. Note this Feat may be used on creatures of any size.
Note: This Feat may be taken as a Soldier’s bonus Feat.

New Feat:

Improved Shield Use

Requirements: Shield Proficiency, Parry Bonus +1 or higher
Description: Improved Shield Use represents a character learning to use their shield more effectively, both defensively and offensively. It increases the bonus shield normally gives to its wielder for defensive actions by 50%- so thus a buckler gives a +3 defensive bonus, a large shield +6 defensive and a targe a +4 defensive bonus to Parrying melee attacks or dodging ranged attacks. In addition is gives the player a +1 attack bonus when using a shield offensively such a executing a shield bash or a bull’s rush with a shield.

New Feat:

Improved Armor Proficiency

Requirements: Heavy Armor and Shield Proficiency
Description: This represents both the character’s learning to compensate for their armor’s weight and adjusting their armor to be worn by them more efficiently. All armor check penalties are reduced by one half their original value [rounded down].

Raven Blackwell said:
New Weapon

Trident
Two Handed Exotic Melee weapon
Cost: 35 silver luna
Damage: 2d8
Critical: x3
Armor Piercing: 3
Hardness: 10
Hit Points: 7
Weight: 6 lbs.
Type: Piercing

Note: Deep Ones [see ‘Conan and Cthluhu’ forum for details] and other sentient aquatic races possess a Weapon Familiarity with the Trident- it is considered a Martial Weapon instead of an Exotic weapon to them.

Description: A large weapon resembling a metal three pronged fork, a Trident is unusual to find outside of sea going cultures, though some Gladiators use the weapon in conjunction with a net in arena combat. Aquatic races however often use ones of their own make as a standard weapon of choice.

Hmm. I've forgotten that in original fantasy, one associates the trident with undersea cultures. I guess watching Sparticus, where one of the gladiators was using a trident, made me forget. :D

Revised Feat:

Toughness

Perquisites: Endurance Feat
Description: The possessor of this Feat possesses a high threshold of pain resistance and is less affected by injuries than a normal person. The possessor gains a permanent +2 bonus to their hit point total for each level up to their tenth. [maximum +20]
Note: This Feat may be taken as a Soldier’s bonus Feat

Altantean DM said:
Hmm. I've forgotten that in original fantasy, one associates the trident with undersea cultures. I guess watching Sparticus, where one of the gladiators was using a trident, made me forget. :D

Actually I created to give Lovecraftian Deep Ones something better than a mere spear. You'd figure an ancient civilization would come up with more than that, don't you? 8)

Raven

Diabolus said:
Raven,

Why is the Trident listed as a two-handed weapon when it's clearly used one-handed even in your own description (as with a net by a Retiarius)?

:D

You are right about that- likely that means that a Trident could be used like a Warsword- can be used two-handed without the Exotic Weapon Feat or one-handed with it. I'll go edit the entry to say so.

Raven

This is of course none of my business, but the 2d8 damage seems excessive for a weapon that can be used one-handed with a feat.

Turim said:
This is of course none of my business, but the 2d8 damage seems excessive for a weapon that can be used one-handed with a feat.

True- I'll pare it down to 2d6- essentially making it a sharp hand and a half War Spear.

Also, don't worry about pointing out inconsistencies. That's why I post these things- to see if anyone can point out errors in my stuff....

Raven

Hi again Raven .... I'm back from my Living History excursion !!!

Thanks for the updates and Raven's Erratta .... A very usefull contribution(s) to my game.

Have you just about done with your alternative sorcery contributions ???

LokiOne said:
Have you just about done with your alternative sorcery contributions ???

Actually, no. I keep adding to them every week-a few spells here, a remade Feat there. Eventually I will have an entire system, but not all at once..... Just wait until the Northern Hemispere's winter when I have nothing else to do but write....8)

Raven

Raven Blackwell said:
Optional Rule variant

Fate play no favourites, but I can take the pain

In an effort to make the game seem less like a video game with a number of ‘extra lives’ in the form of Fate points, the following rules can be used. No creature, PC or NPC, possesses or can make use of Fate Points. To balance this change, the death by Massive Damage rule no longer applies. No matter the amount of damage suffered in an attack, no Fortitude saving throw is required to avoid dying. This returns the game back to the old D&D feel where if you wanted something very large dead, you had to beat it to a bloody pulp- which is more satisfying in my opinion. 8)

Optionally, you can set the threshold of amount of damage needed to provoke a Fortitude save higher- 30 or 40 perhaps. In this case the DC of the Massive Damage check would be a DC equal to the damage suffered minus the minimum threshold. Thus if the threshold is set to 30, an attack dealing 44 points of damage would only require a Fortitude save of 14 [44 points of damage dealt – minimum threshold of 30] to prevent sudden death.

I think if you're gonna drop the Massive Damage rule, you may as well just play D&D. It's not really "returning to a D&D flavor" to not use it, because you may as well not use Dodge or Parry - it's just not Conan without the ability to get a lucky shot it and drop a werewolf in a single lucky blow.

That said, the "threshold" bit was something I discussed some time back in some ancient thread or another. Search ""Massive Damage threshold" or something. It's a really old discussion, before AE even. One thing I had noticed (and this is all me vaguely recalling stuff from way-back-when, so bear with me if it seems off a tad) creatures sometimes had erroneously high FORT saves in some cases in spite of thier CON scores. What I reccomended at the time was simply to add the FORT save (I think) to the normal 20 point threshold.

I'll see if I can locate the thread myself too. Most of these ideas seem nice; I particularly like the improvements to water movement.

For the trident, I'd make it a single handed weapon (like a short spear) but with a 19-20 threat range, x2 crit and the ability to add bonus to disarm and trip attacks. Tridents were used to stab folks, obviously, but a common practice was to snag an opponent's weapon in the prongs, give a twist to the trident, and yank the offending weapon out of the opponent's hand. The barbs aided in this, as with snaging ankles, straps, belts, etc. and forcing opponents' to buckle at the knee. They were'primarily a defensive weapon with offensive capailities, doubly difficult to fight against when the trident wielder was armed with another defensive weapon like a spiked gauntlet or, as is most anecdotally common, a weighted metal net.

Back