raising stats after game starts

bonni56

Mongoose
I am having trouble finding the mechanics on how to raise up character stats in Mongoose Traveller after the game starts. I have some of my players who want to do that and I wanted to see how other GMs have handled it.

There aren't any in the books... there is very little character development after char gen in traveller...
I would do it like skill training, just much longer term, like 1 month per level... so someone with End 5 would take 5 months to go up too End 6 (as long as the correct equipment was available)

barnest2 said:
There aren't any in the books... there is very little character development after char gen in traveller...
I would do it like skill training, just much longer term, like 1 month per level... so someone with End 5 would take 5 months to go up too End 6 (as long as the correct equipment was available)

Thanks. That will be a good starting place. Some one, off boards, suggested making it a flat 10 and it should take four years. That was based on during character generation that you usually only get a chance every four years (each term) to raise it if you roll it on the table.

I know, but how many games span 4 years :p
I would drop it down to months... and that should be that many months of straight up training. Not doing Anything else at all.
If you take a month out to go adventuring? Whoops, start again...

SSWarlock said:
And there's always augmentation, provided you have the credits and a trustworthy medical team.

Here is a simple system:

1. Whenever a player uses a skill with average success 5 times or uses a skill with exceptional success 1 time, the player may elect to take 1 'training point' in that skill.

2. Training points may only be gained at the end of an adventure or at maximum once a month.

3. Any exceptional failure at a skill negates all aquired training points for that skill.

4. A player may only aquire 1 skill point in 1 skill during any month.

5. The minimum number of skill points needed to raise an attribute is the characters current attribute level.

Example: Jim is Str 6 and wants to raise his strength to 7. He will need 6 skill points at minimum for a chance to raise his Str to 7.

6. The minimum number of skill points needed to raise a skill is the MAXIMUM corresponding characteristic level for the skill level (dice modifier) listed on the Characteristics Modifier Table.

Example: Jim is Recon-1. Looking on the Characteristics Modifiers Table on page 6 of the Core Rule Book, a +1 (skill level in this case) is a value of 09-11. Jim will need 11 training points at minimum to raise his skill to level 2.

7. Optional Rule: A character will need to roll 8+ to actually raise their skill level. A failure reduces the skill points for that skill or attribute by the effect.

8. Optional Rule: Add Int or Edu modifiers as the ref sees fit.

9. Characters can hire trainers, workout, or learn skills from other PC's to accumulate skill points. The ref should have the character make appropriate die rolls to see if the character stays with the training.

This seems completely over complicated for skills when you can just use the one from the book which is:
Spend a number of (non consecutive) weeks training equal to your total number of skills. (Or your total number of skills +your new skill level)

barnest2 said:
This seems completely over complicated for skills when you can just use the one from the book which is:
Spend a number of (non consecutive) weeks training equal to your total number of skills. (Or your total number of skills +your new skill level)
The one from the book drives me mad. :evil:

I will never understand why some youngster with nothing but a term of
basic training should take less time to learn or improve a skill than an
experienced veteran with a dozen skills which are closely related to the
skill he wants to learn or improve.

Bobby the untrained sanitation system cleaner learns Recon skill faster
than Master Sergeant Grizzle, who served twenty years with the Royal
Marines ... :roll:

Aye, is silly. But when you have several people at the same or similar skill level, they work just fine. I'm using them for my RN game, mainly because everyone is Master Sergeant Grizzle or similar... (Like lieutenant Grizzle, or Commander Grizzle)

barnest2 said:
I'm using them for my RN game, mainly because everyone is Master Sergeant Grizzle or similar... (Like lieutenant Grizzle, or Commander Grizzle)
Your RN obviously is a family business ... :shock:

I met with my group on Saturday and after giving them a couple of options was able to convince them that it just isn't in the game system to raise stats. Skills we had figured out before on how we wanted to handle raising so that wasn't a problem.

I liked reading your suggestions and offered them as a possible solution. :)

Back