Quick Question - New Campaign

Melkor

Mongoose
Hi folks,

Started a new campaign this afternoon, and have a quick question.

Does damage from parrying that 'get's through' (after the AP of a weapon or shield are subtracted) do damage to the defending character AS WELL AS do damage to the parrying weapon/shield ?

Thanks!

I'm no expert, but as far as I can see in the rules, no; the damage that gets through only damages the character and not the weapon.

Sorn said:
I'm no expert, but as far as I can see in the rules, no; the damage that gets through only damages the character and not the weapon.
That is the way that I understand the rules as well. The weapon only takes damage if the attacker specifically aims at the weapon itself.

Sorry guys but that is exactly the case when the attacking weapon damages the defending weapon. So if you do 10 points damage to opponent with target shield and no armor, 8 points is "absorbed" by the shield which is damaged by 2 points and opponent gets 2 points damage to random location. This is of course according to the rules.

Hoitsu said:
Sorry guys but that is exactly the case when the attacking weapon damages the defending weapon. So if you do 10 points damage to opponent with target shield and no armor, 8 points is "absorbed" by the shield which is damaged by 2 points and opponent gets 2 points damage to random location. This is of course according to the rules.

That's true in RQ2/3, but I can't find anywhere in MRQ that damage is done to a weapon unless you specifically target the weapon. Point me to this if you can. It's not under the affects of parrying, where one would naturally look for it.

That brings up another issue if you are correct:

If the attacker rolls a critical success and the defender rolls a normal success, only 1/2 AP is used. If 10 points of damage are done against someone wearing a target shield, that means that 4 points are parried by the shield and 6 go through to the defender. Does the shield then take 6 points of damage too?

RMS said:
Hoitsu said:

That's true in RQ2/3, but I can't find anywhere in MRQ that damage is done to a weapon unless you specifically target the weapon. Point me to this if you can. It's not under the affects of parrying, where one would naturally look for it.

That brings up another issue if you are correct:

If the attacker rolls a critical success and the defender rolls a normal success, only 1/2 AP is used. If 10 points of damage are done against someone wearing a target shield, that means that 4 points are parried by the shield and 6 go through to the defender. Does the shield then take 6 points of damage too?

Hope not or most adventuring parties are going to have to bring a wagon filled with spare weapons and shields with them.

Vadrus

Hoitsu said:
No, not in MRQ. To make sure I've reread the equipment sections and Combat section and Inanimate Objects section...

If an attacker does 10 points damage to an opponent with a target shield and not armour, 8 points is absorbed by the shield and the opponent gets 2 points damage to a random locaiton. The shield doesn't have its AP damaged by the attack unless the attacker attacked the shield (in which case the character woul dnot be damaged).

If an attacker does 10 points damage to an opponent with a target shield and not armour, 8 points is absorbed by the shield and the opponent gets 2 points damage to a random locaiton. The shield doesn't have its AP damaged by the attack unless the attacker attacked the shield (in which case the character woul dnot be damaged).

That actually makes sense - The idea of parrying is to deflect a blow not absorb it.
I also like the idea of a critical strike being blocked by a normal parry doing damage to the parrying weapon, it gives the image of a full block rather than a deflection

Back