Quick brakiri grav shifters question

Misiolak

Mongoose
The gravitic Shifters need an opposed CQ check to turn the enemy. Do they need similar CQ check to inflict damage with subsequent shots? What if they fail the CQ for the first shot, does the second shot only turn ship (again CQ check required), or is it already damaging shot (requiring opposed CQ test or not?)?

I would say that it's just one CQ check for the first shifter. Once the target is being pushed and pulled around, the second and subsequent shifters shouldn't have a problem locking on.

If you fail the first one, the second acts like the first: need a CQ roll and only does a turn (no damage).

Sorry, but according to rules this is not good answer. IMO rules for gravitic shifters are plain and stright:

Gravitic Shifter: Using advanced gravitic technologies, this weapon can effect the mass of an entire ship, forcing it to turn against the will of its crew. This weapon has no Attack Dice. Instead, simply nominate an enemy target in range and within the appropriate fire arc. Make opposed Crew Quality checks. If you beat the targeted ship, you may immediately turn it up to 45o in any direction.

There is no restriction for hitting again and again the same target. And if You beat CQ each time IMO You should turn target again and again
Crew didn’t manage prevent to turn so ship is turning… "it's spinning!" :D, But CQ test should be every time, because crew can counter subsequent turns... - wrong, look below!

For every Gravitic Shifter used against the same enemy ship in the same turn beyond the first, roll a dice. Automatically deduct this from the Damage and Crew of the enemy ship.

There is nothing about CQ test. So simply if You shot 2 Gshifters to the same target - roll a dice. If You shot 3 roll two dieces. Even if You fail opposed CQ test You should roll a dice. IMO crushing it is short and fast move and they do not need make full turn to rip hull.
Yes, G-shifter are now quite nice weapon…

Edit: Whoops! Just read last line in P&P

Regardless of how many Gravitic Shifters are applied to a single
ship, they may only ever turn it in place once in a turn.

So there is answer.

lgryszka said:
There is no restriction for hitting again and again the same target. And if You beat CQ each time IMO You should turn target again and again
Yep as you point out in your "Whoops"... this is not true. The first gravitic shifter to "hit" (ie. win the CQ roll) will spin the ship. The second and subsequent ones will cause damage. So if the first one misses, then the second one should cause a spin, and the third one should cause D6 damage. If the first 3 all miss then the 4th should cause a spin with no damage. So I stand by my original reply :)

Hmmm. I can agree with this.
But in P&P there is no mention about succesfull CQ test to cause damage so we have point to argue with... ;) But I think we will set it in our club...

Thanks!

No there is no CQ test to cause damage... but there is a CQ test to cause the turn. And you can't cause damage without the turn, because the first shifter to "hit" causes the turn, the second and subsequent cause damage.

but why would you make a CQ check if the grav shifter hadn't hit?
surely by definition, you have been hit, otherwise what CQ are you opposing? therefore, whether you pass or fail your CQ check you have still been "hit", so the second one causes damage whether you turned or not.

just asking like..

And you can't cause damage without the turn, because the first shifter to "hit" causes the turn

Well to be precise you cause damage when more then one GS is used. There is nothing about succesful use or hit. IMHO "Key word" here is use . :wink:

I suppose the question is whether you regard the CQ roll as a roll to use the grav shifter at all or a roll to turn the target once the grav shifter has been used. In the first case, the CQ roll would be required for every grav shifter; in the second case, it would only be needed for the first one to be used against a specific target.

The attack (and damage if you use 2+ on a ship) is automatic, the opposed CQ check is purely to see if the target is forced to turn or not.

I know Dodge doesn't work against it (no AD to Dodge), and I suspect that Stealth doesn't either going by the rules lgryszka quoted above.

Does using a shifter give you the +1 stealth bonus for other ships attacking that target?

E-mines do, and normal weapons do even if you get all bulkheads, or if all hits are dodged, or if all AD miss. The rule of thumb so far has been that if you roll attack dice against that target then you get the bonus. But GS have no attack dice...

and would logic dictate that a grav shifter must lock onto it's target thus needing to beat stealth, though i seem to recall the rules don't state this

this is a different question but still about gravatic shifters.

Say you're in a 3 or 4 player game.
An opponents ship boresights a ship, may be yours may not be.
Can you turn the ship with the shifters so that it boresights another different ship. (assuming the new target has been allready moved).

No. 1 Bear said:
this is a different question but still about gravatic shifters.

Say you're in a 3 or 4 player game.
An opponents ship boresights a ship, may be yours may not be.
Can you turn the ship with the shifters so that it boresights another different ship. (assuming the new target has been allready moved).

sure as its an enemy ship. you just cant do it to friendly ships but no reason you cant turn that big beam from you to someone else in multiplayer.

i was just wondering about accuracy as all the fluff says it all unaccurate etc. but yeh thats a neat little thing to do.

Back