Questions After Our First Game!

Trenchknife

Mongoose
So, after playing a couple of battles at the 500 point level (Klink v Fed & Klink v Kzinti) we have come up with some questions.

1. Anti-Drone Trait
A-Do you roll all dice of the trait for EACH drone AD attacking you? EX: 2 AD drones hitting me w/in 18". I have Anti-Drone 2. Do I roll both dice against the first Drone AD and then any that remain against the second Drone AD?
Ba-May the Anti-Drone Trait be used to protect other ships when I successfully perform the Intensify Defensive Fire Special Action?
Bb-Alternatively, if the answer is no b/c they have no range, would a Federation ship with Drone AD be able to do so?

2. Special Actions
A-When performing a Special Action that states "may only move up to 6 inches" am I allowed to turn that ship? Am I allowed to move 0"? Am I allowed to go in reverse?
B-Am I permitted to Overload Weapons every turn with Disruptors? (we went with 'Yes')
C-What happens when I use All Power to Engines if my speed has been reduced?
D-When I use Boost Energy to Shields, and I have Lost Shields as the result of a Critical Hit do I base the number of d6's rolled on my (Starting Shields) or on my (Starting Shields) - (# of Shields Lost)?
E-While performing Close Blast Doors, do I ignore the chance for Criticals if I successfully ignore all of the Damage dealt?

Well, that's all I have for you now. I'm sure we'll come up with more after our next games! Thanks for the help as well!

Let's see...
1) Anti-drone trait:
You roll 1 d6 for every AD of drone incoming. All drones in that salvo are destroyed, but if any of the d6's roll a 1 - you lose 1 point of your anti-drone trait.
For Example:
You have Anti-Drone 2 and the nice little Kzinti Dreadnought launches 6 AD of drones at you.
You roll 6 dice... regardless of the individual results, all incoming drones are stopped.
Let's say you rolled a 2,3,4,5,6,6. This has no effect on the anti-drone trait, so next salvo - you still have Anti-Drone 2.
Let's say on the other hand you rolled 1,2,3,4,5,6... or even 1,1,1,1,1,1. In this case, all incoming drones would still be stopped, but your anti-Drone trait drops by a point so its now Anti-Drone: 1.
When it reaches zero... it's no longer effective.

2) Special Actions:
A1) can you turn? Yes, as long as the ship has a turn score of 6 or less and you move the requisite distance first.
A2) Can you move 0 inches? Zero is less than 6, so yes - you can go zero inches.
A3) Can you move in reverse? As long as you do not exceed 6 inches movement, direction is irrelevant. And since you are limited to 4 inches of reverse movement, then yes; you may move in reverse.

B) Can I overload disruptors every turn? Sure... as long as you only move 6 inches or less.

C) xxx - looking up to insure a correct answer.
Aha. As i thought - The All Power to Engines special action states:
This Special Action may not be selected if the Impulse Drive or Dilithium Chamber
have Critical Scores.

Since the only critical hits that reduce speed are the Impulse Drive and Dilithium Chamber crits, then logically - if you're suffering from reduced speed, you've taken a critical hit in one of those two areas and therefore; cannot use All Power to Engines.

D) This has been a point of contention lately. Mainly because of the multiple ways in which the term "Starting Shield Score" is applied at various times. For the sake of this question however; it appears to mean the original, starting shield score of the ship, as at teh start fo the game, before any damage is applied.

E) Close Blast Doors:
ummm. Not sure I understand the issue here. You roll a d6 for every hit scored and ona 5 or 6, it's ignored. The number of hits scored is detemined based on the modified AD roll. Damage is not determined until a roll is made on the Attack Table for each hit. If the hit is ignored, then there's no reason to roll for it on the Attack Table.

scoutdad said:
E) Close Blast Doors:
ummm. Not sure I understand the issue here. You roll a d6 for every hit scored and ona 5 or 6, it's ignored. The number of hits scored is detemined based on the modified AD roll. Damage is not determined until a roll is made on the Attack Table for each hit. If the hit is ignored, then there's no reason to roll for it on the Attack Table.

Thanks for the answers. In regards to Close Blast Doors, my confusion here is that it does not negate 'Hits' or 'hits' but 'Damage lost in this turn.' Because of that my question is essentially, "How can I suffer a Critical Hit if that Hit did no Damage?"

Reread CBD:
Close Blast Doors reads:
If successful, for each point of Damage lost in this turn, roll one die. On a 5 or more, the loss is ignored.
Technically, I guess you should roll on the Attack Table for each hit, then roll for CBd and ignore any that roll 5 or 6. And in that case... I'd say you ignore Criticals as well.

Trenchknife said:
So, after playing a couple of battles at the 500 point level (Klink v Fed & Klink v Kzinti) we have come up with some questions.

E-While performing Close Blast Doors, do I ignore the chance for Criticals if I successfully ignore all of the Damage dealt?

Well, that's all I have for you now. I'm sure we'll come up with more after our next games! Thanks for the help as well!

E- Nope. Close blast doors simply says for every point of damage. Not hits, not attack dice but damage. This would include additional damage sustained from critical hits, but not the hits themselves.

Activate fluff:
In a close blast doors action the ship is still physically hit by the attack. The action lessons the structual damage to the ship preventing it from breaking up and fires and explosions blasting around the inside of the ship. Each compartment struck by the attack may be isolated from the rest of the ship but there could be vital systems that are damaged by the stike even if the ship itself is 'relatively' unharmed. Until the repair crews can get in and fix or bypass the systems a critical systems failure is still possible, alongside a few redshirts blasted into space!

CBD does not stop critical effects, only damage from initial hits, and then extra damage from the critical. The actual effect of the critical remain. It's like someone who could get a vast electric shock, no physical damage (it's been known to happen) but the heart stops, thats a pretty critical issue, but no physical damage whatsoever :)
in terms of a starship, It's probably harder to understand how something would act like this, but I suppose you get a short in your phaser circuit, again no real damage but you lost your phaser!
in the grand scheme of a starship a small short circuit is comparitively no damage at all.

scoutdad said:
E- Nope. Close blast doors simply says for every point of damage. Not hits, not attack dice but damage. This would include additional damage sustained from critical hits, but not the hits themselves.

OK, that makes sense to me.

On another point, I don't think anyone has addressed one of my other questions:

Ba-May the Anti-Drone Trait be used to protect other ships when I successfully perform the Intensify Defensive Fire Special Action?
Bb-Alternatively, if the answer is no b/c the Trait has no range, would a Federation ship with Drone AD be able to do so?

ADD/Combined drone rack cannot fire using IDF to protect another ship. The IDF ship may only use phasers and drones.

So yes, the Fed ship could fire a drone at an incoming drone that's attacking another ship. But it then cannot use ADD mode for the rest of the turn.

Trenchknife said:
Bb-Alternatively, if the answer is no b/c the Trait has no range, would a Federation ship with Drone AD be able to do so?

No Anti-Drone wither they are a trait or a function of a Fed Drone Rack only protect the ship they are on. Nothing is stopping you from using the adrone kills a drone just you cannot use Anti-Drones in defence of another ship.

Trenchknife said:
Bb-Alternatively, if the answer is no b/c they have no range, would a Federation ship with Drone AD be able to do so?

As rambler says - no to both. Anti drone trait has no range and the feds using drones as anti-drones states they forego firing drones to gain the anti-drone trait so still no range. It could however fire regular drones in defence which will knock out enemy drones on a 1 for 1 rate up to 18" automatically and on a 5+ upto 36".

Geoff

Back