Question - Will the new edition of Starship Troopers?...

chris_valera

Mongoose
Include rules for vehicles? Like embarking, disembarking, firing from, and perhaps a few entries for the MI. Like say, the Gecko from the RPG book?

Will it include the supplemental stuff from Signs and Portents?

Will it include additional aircraft?

I ask ask cuz I'm converting at least one "Gecko-8" from S&P, and I'm planning on converting the Forgeworld anti-aircraft guns as per the articles, and I'd like to know if all my hard work will be in vain.

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

what No is that gecko in, i'm tooo lazy to read them all but i feel like building a tankesque thing for my MI..
(i should really be painting some eldar for my upcoming tourney but that would be clever and we cant have that can we)

Col_stone said:
what No is that gecko in, i'm tooo lazy to read them all but i feel like building a tankesque thing for my MI..
(i should really be painting some eldar for my upcoming tourney but that would be clever and we cant have that can we)

The real gecko is in the RPG book, a conversion loosely based on the TV show is featured in this months S&P number 36. It has rules for the RPG but not the tabletop game. Which is odd, cuz I can't imagine you'd need or use an actual model in an RPG that often...

I'm wondering if we'll ever get rules for any of the vehicles from the RPG, even if no models will ever be made. or decent vehicle and trasnport rules...

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

ah ok, thanks, i saw the conversion, fairly nice, i like the bunker on wheels thing,
i think i might go for an Aliens Apc tho, been meaning to build one of those anyway so then i may be able to justify the building time:D

chris_valera said:
Col_stone said:

The real gecko is in the RPG book, a conversion loosely based on the TV show is featured in this months S&P number 36. It has rules for the RPG but not the tabletop game. Which is odd, cuz I can't imagine you'd need or use an actual model in an RPG that often...

I'm wondering if we'll ever get rules for any of the vehicles from the RPG, even if no models will ever be made. or decent vehicle and trasnport rules...

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

Chris, I would think it's possible that Mongoose will include vehicle rules in the coming SST:Evo, as the Battlefield Evo will be heavily focusing on vehicles. I based the down-scaled rules on the RPG, because that's what was in print to work with. As far as playing RPGs with vehicles and such, if I was ever to run a game I would make use of all of the wargame units as well as full terrain boards. But then, I am an old model-maker and love using props :wink: .

BuShips said:
Chris, I would think it's possible that Mongoose will include vehicle rules in the coming SST:Evo, as the Battlefield Evo will be heavily focusing on vehicles. I based the down-scaled rules on the RPG, because that's what was in print to work with. As far as playing RPGs with vehicles and such, if I was ever to run a game I would make use of all of the wargame units as well as full terrain boards. But then, I am an old model-maker and love using props :wink: .

Right, but this is my question. Will *all* the old stuff be supported? Including the supplemental stuff like the AA guns from S&P?

Cuz SST could really use some vehcile rules.

Speaking of which, you think you could knock up some rule for the Gecko6 or the Gecko-12? Maybe submit them to S&P? Im sure you have some somewhere, right?

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

chris_valera said:
BuShips said:

Right, but this is my question. Will *all* the old stuff be supported? Including the supplemental stuff like the AA guns from S&P?

Cuz SST could really use some vehcile rules.

Speaking of which, you think you could knock up some rule for the Gecko6 or the Gecko-12? Maybe submit them to S&P? Im sure you have some somewhere, right?

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

Well, as I don't seem to have any local playtesters, maybe you (or others) could volunteer to try out these stats a few times.

Here goes :roll: :

GK-6 Mini-Gecko Armoured Personnel Carrier
Code:
TYPE      VALUE     SIZE      MOVE      CC        TARGET    KILL     TRAITS
GK-6        75       3         8"       -           6+       10+     Hits/4
                                                                     Wheels/12"
While using the Wheels/X" special movement mode (following a Ready action), a wheeled model moves at much greater speed than normal but is in danger of skidding and losing control if damaged. If a wheeled vehicle flinches during a turn in which it has used its special movement, it flinches D6" from the source of damage instead of the customary 2".

GK-12 Gecko Armoured Personnel Carrier
Code:
TYPE      VALUE     SIZE      MOVE      CC        TARGET    KILL     TRAITS
GK-12       150       4         8"      2xD10       9+       12+     Hits/6
                                                                     Wheels/12"
While using the Wheels/X" special movement mode (following a Ready action), a wheeled model moves at much greater speed than normal but is in danger of skidding and losing control if damaged. If a wheeled vehicle flinches during a turn in which it has used its special movement, it flinches D6" from the source of damage instead of the customary 2".

The GK-12 has 1 MW-5050 Twin .50 Autocannon included. Cargo for both vehicles is the same as RPG stats. These are of course unofficial, but are something to start working with :wink: .

By the way, I doubt this has ever been mentioned but how would a wheeled model ever really flinch since almost all the wheeled things in the SST universe likely to see action are the forementioned Gecko's which are multihit models, thus immune to flinch...

The rules make perfect sense for civilian vehicles though...

*Ideas brewing*

The sudden sight of civilian vehicles attempting evacuation under heavy assault of arachnids or raiding Skinnies is a rather attractive one...

and the Wheel/X trait will make good use in BF/evo...

SickBunny said:
The sudden sight of civilian vehicles attempting evacuation under heavy assault of arachnids or raiding Skinnies is a rather attractive one...

:D

Very close to my own desire for a "protect the civilian evacuation" scenario in BF: Evo :)

SickBunny said:
By the way, I doubt this has ever been mentioned but how would a wheeled model ever really flinch since almost all the wheeled things in the SST universe likely to see action are the forementioned Gecko's which are multihit models, thus immune to flinch...

*Ideas brewing*

Well, we will have to work for now with pickings from the current rules while we're waiting for the Evo rules to appear. Maybe Matt will take pity on our feeble ramblings and leak some Evo stuff to point us in a useful direction (that's funny, do you hear a low whimpering sound in the background? :wink: ). As far as vehicles flinching, I would just describe it as "uncontrolled stunt driving" :lol: and Mongoose will let us know how multi-hit models and Wheels/X" works (or doesn't). I for one want to know the rules for vehicles that attempt ramming Bugs and things, as this would be a natural aspect of attempting to drive through a blocking force of Arachnids :idea: . This of course would provide for a new appreciation of the term "I got some bugs on my windshield on my last road trip." Maybe the vehicles will be needing a larger than normal holding tank for liquid windscreen cleaner perhaps? :lol: I can see an artist for Mongoose whipping up a series of graphics to represent a defended convoy running a gauntlet of splattering Warrior Bugs. I can visualise it, can you guys? :lol: Of course, this contradicts something I've said in the past where a new recruit is asking a dropship pilot what he sees as they descend to the battlefield: "The damn Bugs are everywhere except the damn windshield!" :wink:

lol.

Cool: would this windscreen cleaner be sulphuric acid by any chance that could get accidentially squirted at the bugs? 8)

Oh, and there are vehicle rules already included in SST if you look close enough.....

BuShips said:
Well, we will have to work for now with pickings from the current rules while we're waiting for the Evo rules to appear. Maybe Matt will take pity on our feeble ramblings and leak some Evo stuff to point us in a useful direction

This is why I asked if there would be comprehensive vehicle rules in the new edition.

The silence is deafening...

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

chris_valera said:
BuShips said:
Well, we will have to work for now with pickings from the current rules while we're waiting for the Evo rules to appear. Maybe Matt will take pity on our feeble ramblings and leak some Evo stuff to point us in a useful direction

This is why I asked if there would be comprehensive vehicle rules in the new edition.

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

All I can conjecture is that since there is going to be many types of vehicles in BF:Evo (MBTs, Humvees, APCs, attack choppers, A-10s, heck everything I suppose including an olive drab kitchen sink) I can't see that they would not mention the RPG vehicles as units for SST:Evo. Matt can be PM'd I suppose, or e-mailed if you want to know now. It might be that Matt isn't following this thread for all we know. Actually, I've asked in other threads specific questions and he hasn't answered me, but I don't think it's because of any particular reason (I may have broadband, but body odor status online isn't here yet :roll: ). If you get an answer, let us know, OK? I'm sure you will get your answers, sooner or later.

BuShips said:
SickBunny said:

*Ideas brewing*

Well, we will have to work for now with pickings from the current rules while we're waiting for the Evo rules to appear. Maybe Matt will take pity on our feeble ramblings and leak some Evo stuff to point us in a useful direction (that's funny, do you hear a low whimpering sound in the background? :wink: ). As far as vehicles flinching, I would just describe it as "uncontrolled stunt driving" :lol: and Mongoose will let us know how multi-hit models and Wheels/X" works (or doesn't). I for one want to know the rules for vehicles that attempt ramming Bugs and things, as this would be a natural aspect of attempting to drive through a blocking force of Arachnids

I agree on the principle behind the vehicle flinching at powerful attacks wholeheartedly since as I have mentioned before, I always have loved SST for its 'accidental movie moments' that flinching especially produces... and I think civilian vehicles would be a single hit model (Has been brewing over civilian vehicles quite a bit for the upcoming ((Hopefully)) S&P article of destructible terrain) so thus swerve around where as an APC would be considerably less likely to swerve wildly when faced with fire or frenzied attacks by halfton insects...

And btw, I think they would use trenchsweepers for windshieldwipers in SST....

But agreed as well that the present vehicular rules can use an upgrade to better integrate troops moving in and out of vehicles... I still dont really think that models should be allowed to fire out of a moving vehicle unless we were talking about opentopped things like the bigger skimmer... and even then it should be wildly inaccurate, perhaps only used for Reactions... any other vehicle (be it flying, driving, crawling, whatever else) would be pretty well buttoned up...

chris_valera said:

If you're looking for an answer from Mongoose themselves, it's probably best to mail them directly rather than to post a question on the board and hope someone notices it - often they do see them, but sometimes questions can get missed.

Back