question from the show

ANLASHOKER

Mongoose
A little irrelevant, but do the Brakiri ever fire a shot in the whole series? Also have always found it weird how the alliance was so big, but we only ever see the Minbari, Drazi, Brakiri, and Vree ships.

No, lightsabers use visible light. Lasers use invisible wavelengths.

I'm sure I've seen a Brakiri ship firing... maybe in the Coriana VI battle, there is so much going on there.

Isn't it that you can't see a laser of any wavelength until it reflects of something, and then what you can see depends on the reflectivity of the surface the laser hits.

LBH

If a lightsaber actually used light it would also go on forever. That's why it clearly has to use plasma.

Niemand said:
If a lightsaber actually used light it would also go on forever. That's why it clearly has to use plasma.

Or maybe it's piece of magic-gizmo with no scientific theory behind it and ergo it's bit of pointless to arque what it uses. For all we know it can be light, plasma or plain good hope :lol:

Oooo...I like that one. Hope, but then how would the Dark side power theirs?

But, back on track, I seem to remember the Brakiri firing a couple shots in large fleets against the Shadows.

And then dying horribly. Maybe the visual effect of the gravity weapon comes from a bending of light wavelengths in the gravity field causing a localized phenomena.

Niemand said:

Not if you used a focussed and contained gravitational field to bend the light.

LBH

This is much of the basis of much of einstein's work. Basically, light acts as both a wave and a particle, and as such, does show reaction to gravitic effects.

Because it doesn't need to bend all the light, enough that it isn't well, lethal when it gets to you though would be helpfull. ;) There was a show on the history channel around here that discussed Star wars tech, and they pretty much universally agreed that a lightsaber would have to be plasma of some kind held by an EM field. That's well within the realm of possibility, since we can do it now, it just takes a device the size of a rather large room. ;)

Note, that would also explain why lightsabers can pass through pretty much any solid material, but are stopped by other lightsabers and shields. The EM fields would repel each other, but the plasma itself would burn at temperatures to burn through, melt and fuse pretty much any other material instantly.

Light is affected by gravity - the light from distant stars is bent as they pass behind our sun. (More acurately, Space-time is distorted by the presence of a high mass object, light follows that distortion).

Also, fact fans, the old WEG Star Wars RPG describe a lightsabre acting in just such a way - the 'wave' of light is arced back to the grip.

But we drift from the topic at hand.....

Cheers
Mark

Niemand said:
Burger said:
If the light was being bent, how would it get to your eyes for it to see it?

These arguments convinced me in the past but after that I found an "you may say what you prefer" answer : for "contained" energy the containment can easily react to the environment and irradiate light, or release a little portion of the power inside then emit radiation i.e. light, and for "non contained" since it was made to interact with matter ( ship ) it will strike the tiny particles on it's path and then act as a plasma beam ( emit light in all direction from the path of the beam ). The space void is far more empty than the best lab void but is still full of quantics things.

This will work for every hight energy stuff.

A gravitational field strong enough to bend light over a distance of a metre or so would be a catastrophic weapon in itself.

For the user as well as the target.

Back