Question About Sorcery...

A

Anonymous

I'm working on an NPC sorcerer for this weekend's game and I'm confused about something: When a sorcerer gains a sorcery style does he have access to all the spells in that style that he meets the pre-reqs for (except advanced spells, of course), or does he pick and choose? How does he gain bonus spells works if he only qualifies for a limited number of spells in a style?

When a new sorcery style is learned, the scholar learns the Basic spell from that style and no others.

For Hypnotism it's Entrance, For Divinations it's Astrological Prediction, etc.

Advanced spells are any spells that are not "Basic"

When the scholar earns an Advanced spell, he may choose a new spell from one of the styles that he knows (or have one chosen for him, depending on his background)

You should make a thorough reading of the Scholar class section to get more details -- a scholar's background has a lot of bearing on the type of sorcerer he is and the types of spells available to him.
How does he gain bonus spells ... if he only qualifies for a limited number of spells in a style?
It sounds like you're confusing the bonus spells earned for having a high Int with the spells automatically granted by the class. Bonus spells earned for a high int are gained seperately from from those provided by his class. Also, it's possible for a high int scholar to have a bonus spell owed to him that cannot be fulfilled because he doesn't mee the prereqs for any.

Robert E Howard once defined a rule of magic (or at least a class of magic) in the story People of the Black Circle: "Sorcery thrives on success, not on failure." In other words, the success of any attempt at sorcery would depend on the success of previous attempts.

Is this incorporated into the Conan magic system?

Absolutely! Kudos to Ian for thinking of everything!

There's a rule of success in the Sorcery section which give a sorcerer who successfully casts a spell that kills it's target(s) a 1 round bonus to his magic attacks and the ability to recast the same spell at half the PP cost.

BhilJhoanz said:
When a new sorcery style is learned, the scholar learns the Basic spell from that style and no others.

For Hypnotism it's Entrance, For Divinations it's Astrological Prediction, etc.

Advanced spells are any spells that are not "Basic"

When the scholar earns an Advanced spell, he may choose a new spell from one of the styles that he knows (or have one chosen for him, depending on his background)

You should make a thorough reading of the Scholar class section to get more details -- a scholar's background has a lot of bearing on the type of sorcerer he is and the types of spells available to him.
How does he gain bonus spells ... if he only qualifies for a limited number of spells in a style?
It sounds like you're confusing the bonus spells earned for having a high Int with the spells automatically granted by the class. Bonus spells earned for a high int are gained seperately from from those provided by his class. Also, it's possible for a high int scholar to have a bonus spell owed to him that cannot be fulfilled because he doesn't mee the prereqs for any.

Ah. I read the Scholar class section, but was till unclear about some things. Thanks a million for clarifying.

:)

By Crom this nearly answers my question!

But, just to be clear, does a Scholar have to meet any of the pre-reqs to take a class "Advanced Spell" (a spell automatically granted by the class) or are those pre-reqs just for the Bonus spells (as the above might suggest but I just want a clear understanding).

If I can choose any spell in a known style for my automatic class "Advanced Spell", that is pretty nice.

Thanks for your time!

yes....a scholar has to meet the prerequisites of any spell to take it (as advanced spell or as bonus spell)

When a scholar learns a new sorcery style and a new advanced spell at the same time, he can take an advanced spell in the new sorcery style as long as he meets the prerequisites. As mentioned, the scholar background may dictate which spells are learned, but there are always rebel acolytes who delve in things not taught by their masters, and who should attain the consequences for disovedience.

Back