Psionics in Magnamund

wayward_sage

Mongoose
So i'm curious,

Are there going to be rules on how to deal with psionics in the Core Campaign Setting? From what I remember, Lone Wolf is one the most psionic heavy settings this side of Dark Sun.

Can any of the mongoose guys weigh in on this? Psionics, (or Psychics as the books call it) is as common with monsters as sight. It seemed that every creature you fought from a lowly burrowing worm to the darklords and beyond, The kekatag used psycics.

So am i going to need to get Wizards of the Coasts Psionics handbook? Or all the rules going to be in Campaign Setting?

Maybe they can be included in the Magic expansion book that Mongoose should make later :wink:

sunwolf

Check out the Kai Lord preview in the against the main LW source book on this site. It gives full info on the Kai mental powers.

Psionics - or rather Psychic Combat - is fully covered within the Lone Wolf core rulebook. No additional books are needed as such, though further expansion of Psychic abilities would certainly be possible within future Lone Wolf supplements.

Cheers,

The Expanded Psionics Handbook is not compatible with LWRPG - admittedly, most d20 products aren't compatible either (I have dozens of adventure modules, but none can be used).

I plan on using the setting but as a D&D 3.0 world rather than using the LW rules, and I was thinking perhaps that the Kai would actually be something along the lines of a Ranger (or fighter)/Psion multi-class character as a standard (At least Ranger if not going Multiclass). I think the ranger/psion would be a nice way of presenting them.

To be honest, from first glance, the Kai Lord class will pretty much work under D&D 3+ without any major problems, direct from the book.

The OGL rules are close enough to D&D anyway: LW's Base Combat Skill seems to be directly analogous to D&D's Base Attack Bonus, while those Kai powers involving formulae using an Animal's Endurance Dice (for example) would work just as well with an Animal's Hit Dice.

Kai Lord advancement, at least in terms of Attack Bonus progression and the like, are comparable to a D&D Fighter.

I don't think you'll have any problems.

From what I remember of the PDF preview we got, the Kai looked a little overpowered for a regular D&D game.

To be honest, balancing Lone Wolf to 'normal' fantasy campaigns was not a high priority for the rulebook (or even a priority at all). Devotees of Magnamund know that the setting is 'larger than life' and that Kai Lords are in no way balanced with what people might think of as typical characters.

The setting is internally balanced, but if you intend to cherry pick the book for your home campaign, you may have balancing issues to contend with if such things are a concern for you.

Good luck, and enjoy the game!
-August

Mongoose August said:
To be honest, balancing Lone Wolf to 'normal' fantasy campaigns was not a high priority for the rulebook (or even a priority at all). Devotees of Magnamund know that the setting is 'larger than life' and that Kai Lords are in no way balanced with what people might think of as typical characters.

Aye. I don't imagine that it would be balanced towards regular D&D, after all Mongoose are publishing it as its own game.

The setting is internally balanced, but if you intend to cherry pick the book for your home campaign, you may have balancing issues to contend with if such things are a concern for you.

I love the books and the world, but my players and I really want to run it as regular D&D so I'm happy to try and balance out what needs to be balanced out, and happy to live the rest. :)

Good luck, and enjoy the game!
-August

Oh, I intend to. :) Ordered my copy yesturday so hopefully should have it by middle of next week.

Back